Three-Cent Silver Piece!

D

doyboy

I decided to do a little detecting today in the "productive" small park. So, I loaded up my "trusty" XL-Pro and headed off. While driving to the site, I was going over in my mind the areas in the park that I knew had a lot of "junk" signals. Before I got out of my car, I already knew where I was going in the park, and how I was going to approach the area. I turned my detector on, ground-balanced it, set the threshold, and started to sweep with full concentration. A minute after turning my detector on I soon got a hit that got my attention. It was a faint reading that read "all-over" my meter. But, since the target pinpointed at 6", I decided to dig it. I dug a plug, popped it off and proceeded to scoop the dirt out. I was down to about 6" when I saw a coin-sized object in the hole; my heart started to race . I reached my hand in carefully and grabbed the object. It was now in my palm, and that was when I knew what I had found;Oh My God, in my hand was an 1853 Three-cent silver piece(my 1st): WOW! I could not believe it. I had found this coin in a little under 2 mintues of turning my detector on. I am still waiting for the dream to end. I soon left after that and came home to clean it off. I will heading back to that same area in the park VERY soon.

Attachments

• 3-cent piece-F.jpg
    3-cent piece-F.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 3-cent piece-B.jpg
    3-cent piece-B.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 722
Upvote 0
J

jamesfrompa

Wow! Never seen a 3-cent peice. Very nice coin. Good luck hunting the park more.
James

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Pretty unique find there Doyboy, great to see it here, thanks!
Congrats, go get more of those goodies!

Smiles!
BDoo

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!

Joe

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice!
Those coins are hard to find.
Yours looks to be in pretty good shape.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
awesome job doyboy! you dont see many three centers found.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody pinch him and wake him up!!! :D

Hey! You found an awesome coin!!!!!

Congrats!

;)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find. I found one a few yrs back. They are really small and thin coins. They aren't easy to find.

HH Jer

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find, and it's still on my list as I have yet to dig one. Many times my first target dug is my best find! Funny how that works. Congratulations. Tsgman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread