Some Colonial Digs

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, I broke down on Thursday and Friday. I had to do some woods hunting.

All I can say is wow. Anyone else in P.a saying the same thing this year. Weeds 10 ft high. It was crazy but so am I.

After a few branches to the face and the walk through the woods me and my boys get there.

I knew it would be slow but I knew we had a chance for something.

Thursday started out nice. First hole right before we were ready to cross over a old wooden bridge I find silver. Not a coin but has some weight to it. About as heavy as a dime.

It's marked sterling on the other side. It was part of something or maybe had a stone in it or something.

We found some relics. All were deep. 8 inches to 20 on some large relics. I take my shovel and just see how deep the dfx can really go with the 1400 on it. It can do some damage deep in the right conditions.

No coins to be found. I found large cents and other things at this site in the past. We could only hunt about half of the site not even that much due to the growth.

I got lucky and pinched two old colonial buttons out also. I love to find these buttons. I also found what looks like part of a old watch also. The spoon was dated 1923.

Nothing great but it got us out to the woods for a few days. I have a better grove site to hit right now but I really wanted to look for some old stuff.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jer

Attachments

• 2 colonial buttons.jpg
    2 colonial buttons.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 449
  • some colonial relics.jpg
    some colonial relics.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 446
  • some colonial relics 1.jpg
    some colonial relics 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
JER, Very Nice Haul, Congrats. Trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 380
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 378

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jer,

nice artifacts.

Was it comfy that was putting ceramics together
from under his house?
That blue piece looks like it would fit.

have a good un.........

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to hear from you, Jer.

Too bad every day isn't a coin day, huh? Nice relics, though! :)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
You are crazy! Crazy about woods hunting that is.
Great bunch of relics for your effort.That silver peice is an interesting find.It would be nice to find out what it was. Glad you got out and satisfied the URGE. HH!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you say you had the boys with you? That is a lot of diggin for one guy. I would need help. any way great bunch of finds. Burdie

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You like the woods and I like the jungle, Just getting away from everyone is nice! Way to go!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good you got out Jer and congrats on the sterling! HH, Mike

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks for all the replies everyone. The woods are a great place to get away from people and traffic.

What else is nice is being able to dig with a shovel. You can really learn alot about the depth of your detector this way.

I can dig huge holes also. And no hit gets left behind. When I'm in parks groves and yards. After 10 inches deep with a hand tool and no find it's time to fill it in.

I was surprized that I was able to pull out that much metal from the site. We hit it hard in the winter.

All the new growth though I think brings up stuff and turns it off of angles. I was hoping I would hit a small old silver coin at deep depths.

It will have to wait till fall like the rest of the other cellar holes I know of.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread