Schoolhouse yields more stove parts... and a V!

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I spent most of the day at the in-laws' farm moving very heavy rocks because part of the koi pond collapsed, so I was lucky to get 45 mins of detecting in before it got too dark. Went straight to the old schoolhouse site in the upper yard, and made one pass the length of where the building was. Found more potbellied stove fragments (If this keeps up, I can reassemble the stupid thing!) and some handmade square nails. Figured out why they tore the school down- they lost the key, and couldn't get back in. I got a small hit, started digging, and found half a nail. Was dumping the dirt back in, re-swept the hole, and got another hit. Figured it was the other half of the nail, but sifted thru anyway and found an 1889 V- nickel! Very corroded, but Wahoo anyway!
Lucy came out to see what I was doing, crawling around the yard in the dark. I had several hits from the same hole, and was sifting the dirt. Found 5 more little nails. Was dumping the dirt when she reached down and picked up a flint chip and a broken arrowhead!
Guess changing my Avatar to my firstday-found horseshoe worked!

Attachments

• key nickel arrow.JPG
    key nickel arrow.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 0

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Awesome finds Rat! My best find is an 1897 "V", found in my own backyard! Are you going to clean it? If you have a scanner try scanning the nickel, gives you great detail! Congrats! ;D

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 256
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 255

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah yes, it's always great to read about hunting days like my own. Many times I only get a few minutes to swing the coil. Such is the busy life.

I can relate to the stove part finds. One site I hunt has yielded about 30% of the bugger so far. I found a perfect leg to it a couple weeks ago. I've almost got it cleaned via electrolysis.

Nice fancy bottle cap too (coin) ;D

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread