arrow head while;

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Diggin through my mantle, I grew up doing black powder shoots and I learned how to knapp arrowheads. Take a look at what I have done, far from a pro, who is far from a native could have done. Thanks for lookin, Gravelwasher

Attachments

• 2 arrowheads.JPG
    2 arrowheads.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 685
  • group shot.JPG
    group shot.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 678
  • last one.JPG
    last one.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
You have talent, they look great.
Have you tried to make them with flint? I've heard it's harder to work with.

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hey thanks for the replies guys!! I use some deer antler that has copper wire inserted in the pointed end, otherwise I would wear out the antler faster than I could replace it. Sometimes I finish a piece with antler, as it grips very well on the edge of the stone.
The one in the group shot is out of some flint I found, the brown with tan one, found it in a stream off hwy 49 out of jackson California. Also I use some copper tubing with a rounded cap [nibco, fitting layed over like a broom handle and pounded till it has a dome] that I use for striking the edge of the stone, to drive a flake of material off, its the flakes that give arrowheads there beautifull serfice patterns. You should really take a look at some knapping web pages as the pictures are really worth a thousand words. Thanks Gravelwasher

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool . Did you know they have an area on t-net for Knapping. I bet they would enjoy seeing them. It is in the Indian artifact section. Great area to visit.
Have a good one :thumbsup:
TnMtns

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hey, thanks did not know about that section usually I amin the gold prospecting lately, got the darn bug bad!!! :headbang:

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The green one is glass from the bottom of a bottle if you put a large say 5 inch nail point first into a glass bottle an gently shake up and down while rotating the bottle around as to strike all along the perimiter the bottom will drop out whole, use a large pointed nail. Gravelwasher :hello:

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bluegrassriver said:
I'm not familiar with the term "to knapp arrowheads" Do you mean chisel them? Do you use a metal chisel?

Knapping is the process of using a tool to flake off a chip of stone from a nodule. In the case of native Americans, it was usually a piece of antler, but some modern knappers use more modern tools like carbon or metal presses. A knapping tool uses the blunt end usually driven into a piece of wood and a piece of leather to protect the hand from shards.

Great work on these.

Roy

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!I have been knapping for close to 30 years,fun hobby!

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've done a great job. I bought an arrowhead done a few years ago and it was no where near as good as yours. I really like the green arrrow made out of a bottle. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Thanks for all the replies!!! If you like arrowheads or just curious check out the native american artifacts forum on this site, I dident know it was even here untiltnmountains let me know, thanks all!!! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread