I Have Found Some Odd CW Bullets But This Lead "Hand" takes the Cake!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Have Found Some Odd CW Bullets But This Lead "Hand" takes the Cake!!

Looks like our planned hunting trip tomorrow to a CS camp will be thwarted by 2-4 inches of snow in Tennessee. I was cleaning out my pouch from a few earlier trips when I saw this CW bullet in the bottom. I recall finding it in a wet weather stream bed at the U.S. camp on Battery Hill in Smith County, TN when Josh and I hunted after Christmas.
It's just a flattened 3 ringer as you can see and NOT a piece of soldier's art. The resemblance to a human hand is uncanny except for 6 "fingers". Nevertheless, my wife confiscated it for her carved bullet collection as a conversation piece-LOL. After I almost chucked that little Scottie Dog in my carved bullet collection, I learned to check CW lead more carefully.
For you "Dman Fans", he's getting better daily. I picked him up and drove him to his therapy session yesterday. They must have twisted his arm pretty bad as he bought my lunch-LOL. HH, Quindy in soon to be snowy again Tennessee.

Attachments

• Lead Hand Right.jpg
    Lead Hand Right.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 769
  • Lead Hand Lefdt.jpg
    Lead Hand Lefdt.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 762
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I Have Found Some Odd CW Bullets But This Lead "Hand" takes the Cake!!

2-4 I almost feel sorry for you Quindy. ::) You will be back out and detecting in no time. That is a nice hand there. Be hard to give someone the middle finger though wouldnt it? :tongue3: Take care Quindy. My best to Dman. :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, very interesting piece you have there......

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Boredom makes men carve strange things. Of course the average age of the men (during the Civil War) were just 15, so it all makes perfect sense :D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think it's a left hand Quindy :icon_scratch: I have one like that but I think it's a mitten ;D We have 6+ coming tommorrow.....and they call us crazy for some reason :tongue3:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes Sir, that's an odd one for sure! Luckily for us here in Eastern Virginia, all that snow will be rain for us thank the Lord.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mainer said:
2-4 I almost feel sorry for you Quindy. ::) You will be back out and detecting in no time. That is a nice hand there. Be hard to give someone the middle finger though wouldnt it? :tongue3: Take care Quindy. My best to Dman. :thumbsup:
Now it's predicted to be 3-5" Jesse. However, there's hope for a hunt on Friday. Thanks for looking my friend, Quindy.
Old River said:
Wow, very interesting piece you have there......
[/quote
Thanks OR. I'm sure you have encountered many odd bullets in the Indian war sites too. I hope you don't have snow there. HH.
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Boredom makes men carve strange things. Of course the average age of the men (during the Civil War) were just 15, so it all makes perfect sense :D
You are correct Mike and they were much shorter in stature and didn't weigh near as much as people do today. They would think a NFL team were giants. I believe this was a fired bullet that got mashed by rocks in the stream. HH, Q.
civilman1 said:
I think it's a left hand Quindy :icon_scratch: I have one like that but I think it's a mitten ;D We have 6+ coming tommorrow.....and they call us crazy for some reason :tongue3:
Joe, I wish I could say it's been made by a CW soldier but it's only a coincidence. You and MiniMe tired of snow too? HH, Quindy.
{Sentinel} said:
Yes Sir, that's an odd one for sure! Luckily for us here in Eastern Virginia, all that snow will be rain for us thank the Lord.
Thanks Josh and hope you just get rain and can get out and dig more goodies. Stay dry Bud, Quindy.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

That does look like a hand. Thanks again for hauling me around.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
Well I must say that you don't have a carved bullet but a sliver of a bullet that had a piece shaved off after hitting something solid. It may have clipped a rock or maybe a canon or who knows what. Nice addition to a collection of fired bullets I must admit that I have several quite deformed bullet pieces in my collection.
Happy TH'ing
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

U

umrgolf

weird looking bullet, seems you were clear about it not being altered by a soldier :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

umrgolf said:
weird looking bullet, seems you were clear about it not being altered by a soldier :icon_scratch:
Jeff, thanks for reading the post and have a safe flight. Send me a message when you can. Josh has my home email address. HH, Quindy.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread