VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Josh and I hit the woods near a middle Tennessee 1863 C.S.A. Cavalry Camp commanded by Gen. John Hunt Morgan early this morning. With a reprieve from the snow and temps in the upper 40s with sunny skies, it felt really good to get out and dig a few relics. Dman is still improving from his rotator cuff surgery and was sellling merchandise and manning "Relic Central" at his store today. I told him I would call him after the hunt but he couldn't stand it and called Josh before either of us could call him-LOL. He's going to be hard to hold back in about two weeks as he now has a terminal case of "relic fever".
We walked a good 5 miles today. Either those Rocky Top Tennessee Hills are getting steeper or I'm getting older. The camp picket posts range from one quarter to almost a mile from the main camp as evidenced by the relics, campfire lead, etc. that we have recovered lately. Likely, the pickets from the farther distances were "Vedettes" (outriders) on horseback since this was a cavalry camp. I am still amazed at the number of horseshoes we still find. Josh put two of the more unusual looking ones he found today in the first picture. I discarded the ones I found as they get heavy in my relic pouch. He found his first brass belt adjuster today and he grinned from ear to ear as he's been looking at them in Crouch's relic book and wanting to dig one.
There was a good assortment of dropped bullets today including a .577 cal. Enfield, 3 ringer, Sharps Carbine, both round and conical .44 cal. Colts, and Josh's .36 cal.pistol bullet shown in the second pic with his belt adjuster and carved nipple protector. We've got to research that bullet as it's not typical of the .36s we normally dig at that site.
The harness ring that I dug has a brass "clip" looking part around it?? That's a puzzler. Josh also found another part of the bridle bit that he found a larger part of about two weeks ago.
Jesse (Mainer), I thought of you when I dug that Sharps Carbine bullet today. Josh grinned when he said that he dug 2 "pain" bullets near the picket campfires today. I told him that the only pain they were associated with was when the squirrel chewing on them ruined his teeth-LOL Happy hunting from Dman, Josh, and myself in Tennessee, Quindy.

Since several snowed in folks apparently still like to see relics (however meager), I added the bullets from a different Morgan C.S.A. Camp that I dug on a 3 hour solo hunt today. I won't bore you with the melted lead, horseshoe pieces, and square nails. The F75 detected these at 8-12 inch depth. The snow put a good amount of moisture in the soil.
NOTE to Fisher F75 Users: I forgot to mention that the relics from yesterday were in a field heavily infested with iron signals. As we worked the site, if we were reading iron on our F75 displays and got a 30-50+ reading as we swept across the signal, we moved 90 degrees. If we still got iron AND the 30-50+ reading, we dug it. There were relics "hiding" in the iron. The detector manual does not tell you about that. Thanks for looking, Quindy.

Attachments

• CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Josh\'s Relics CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    Josh\'s Relics CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Morgan\'s Camp 1-29-11.jpg
    Morgan\'s Camp 1-29-11.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 538
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
Re: Tired of Seeing Tennessee CSA Cav. Camp Relics? Well, Here's More From 1-28!!

sick of that? def not, as i'm an civilmans situation as these "fast moving clippers" stall and dump snow on us

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks too all who looked at our CW recoveries. I firmly believe that if you take your time to reply, I owe you a response. That's just common courtesy and something that is generally lost in the culture of today. The only exception is a very late reply to a post where the post will get bumped back up to the top. In that case, I sometimes just send a pm. I try to answer all qustions if I know the answer.
Here we go:
Bill (Nova Treasure in KY), I look forward to seeing your posts from the Commonwealth soon.

Mike, Dman is dying to go but he had better not detect every square nail in Tenn. for Josh & I to dig for him-LOL. Q.

Jeff, Josh was proud of that one and he said it had a pretty green patina (after cleaning) as it laid for 147 years in that field. Thanks for looking Bud.

Damon, thanks for looking and we hope we can keep you entertained with posts until you can hunt. HH.

Dman, I'm not digging 2 million iron nails for you when your doctor lets you metal detect.

Josh (Sentinel) , thanks and post that 1917 SLQ you found last week. I bet it's high grade.

O.D., thanks for looking

Matt, don't despair because Spring will be here soon. HH.

Randy, if you keep coming to Nashville, they will have you on the Grand Ole Opry soon. Good luck to you and Guy today.

TnMtns, thanks Buddy and post your GA finds from today. HH, Quindy.

Don (Rebelrouser0, I felt lucky just to get some good weather to hunt. HH, Quindy.

Steelheadwill, keep pounding those CW Union officer's home sites cand you will find some plates. Thanks for taking time to look.

MM, Horseshoes in a cavalry camp come in many different sizes and condition. Some look new and others are worn out. Some are from pack animals and post CW farming too. Thanks, Buddy.

Skate, we dodged the last one and I was glad of it. Thanks for looking and replying. Hope you can hunt before long.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never get tired of hunting for those relics either ! Keep posting them ! MaineRelic.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH, Brad, Brad, Brad. I keep tellin' you to turn those horseshoes up! Just think of all the luck you're allowing to escape. :tongue3: :D Always fun to see what you guys are diggin' up. And I know once Burt gets the okey dokey for hunting, ya'll won't be able to keep up! :icon_pirat:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice looking relics! I might get to get out for the first time this year tomorrow. Wont find any civil war stuff but heading to wv this spring. HH!!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy, I have found that anything that falls on the right side of the screen, dig it, don't worry about the numbers, they might be bouncing all over the place. I just watch and if it hits on the right side of the screen, I dig it. You will be surprised at the targets you will find. Of course some will be junk, but more times than not, it will be a good target.

By the way, I have a chewed up bullet like you found, mmmmmm, wonder where I got that from, LOL

Denny

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
Glad to see you guys are starting the year off with a bang, those are some GREAT finds, sure takes the edge off this crazy winter we are having. Keep them comming.....
Guy

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MaineRelic said:
I would never get tired of hunting for those relics either ! Keep posting them ! MaineRelic.
Thanks MR. As you know, they get harder to locate each year. HH.
Nana40 said:
OH, Brad, Brad, Brad. I keep tellin' you to turn those horseshoes up! Just think of all the luck you're allowing to escape. :tongue3: :D Always fun to see what you guys are diggin' up. And I know once Burt gets the okey dokey for hunting, ya'll won't be able to keep up! :icon_pirat:
Thanks Southern Belle. I'll need shoulder surgery after I dig all his signals too. I'll limit him to one signal every 15 minutes-LOl. Enjoy this weather in Bama. I'm sure you and Lisa will get out and find some marbles amd tax tokens. HH, Quindy.

collector01 said:
Congrats on some nice looking relics! I might get to get out for the first time this year tomorrow. Wont find any civil war stuff but heading to wv this spring. HH!!
Thanks Collector. West VA is a great place to find relics and I hope you find a bunch this year. Thanks for looking, Quindy.
Tnrelicman said:
Glad to see you guys are starting the year off with a bang, those are some GREAT finds, sure takes the edge off this crazy winter we are having. Keep them comming.....
Guy
Guy, you gentlemen had fun in East Tenn. with some good finds too. Watch out for the "Bullet Bandit" there. Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread