VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Josh and I hit the woods near a middle Tennessee 1863 C.S.A. Cavalry Camp commanded by Gen. John Hunt Morgan early this morning. With a reprieve from the snow and temps in the upper 40s with sunny skies, it felt really good to get out and dig a few relics. Dman is still improving from his rotator cuff surgery and was sellling merchandise and manning "Relic Central" at his store today. I told him I would call him after the hunt but he couldn't stand it and called Josh before either of us could call him-LOL. He's going to be hard to hold back in about two weeks as he now has a terminal case of "relic fever".
We walked a good 5 miles today. Either those Rocky Top Tennessee Hills are getting steeper or I'm getting older. The camp picket posts range from one quarter to almost a mile from the main camp as evidenced by the relics, campfire lead, etc. that we have recovered lately. Likely, the pickets from the farther distances were "Vedettes" (outriders) on horseback since this was a cavalry camp. I am still amazed at the number of horseshoes we still find. Josh put two of the more unusual looking ones he found today in the first picture. I discarded the ones I found as they get heavy in my relic pouch. He found his first brass belt adjuster today and he grinned from ear to ear as he's been looking at them in Crouch's relic book and wanting to dig one.
There was a good assortment of dropped bullets today including a .577 cal. Enfield, 3 ringer, Sharps Carbine, both round and conical .44 cal. Colts, and Josh's .36 cal.pistol bullet shown in the second pic with his belt adjuster and carved nipple protector. We've got to research that bullet as it's not typical of the .36s we normally dig at that site.
The harness ring that I dug has a brass "clip" looking part around it?? That's a puzzler. Josh also found another part of the bridle bit that he found a larger part of about two weeks ago.
Jesse (Mainer), I thought of you when I dug that Sharps Carbine bullet today. Josh grinned when he said that he dug 2 "pain" bullets near the picket campfires today. I told him that the only pain they were associated with was when the squirrel chewing on them ruined his teeth-LOL Happy hunting from Dman, Josh, and myself in Tennessee, Quindy.

Since several snowed in folks apparently still like to see relics (however meager), I added the bullets from a different Morgan C.S.A. Camp that I dug on a 3 hour solo hunt today. I won't bore you with the melted lead, horseshoe pieces, and square nails. The F75 detected these at 8-12 inch depth. The snow put a good amount of moisture in the soil.
NOTE to Fisher F75 Users: I forgot to mention that the relics from yesterday were in a field heavily infested with iron signals. As we worked the site, if we were reading iron on our F75 displays and got a 30-50+ reading as we swept across the signal, we moved 90 degrees. If we still got iron AND the 30-50+ reading, we dug it. There were relics "hiding" in the iron. The detector manual does not tell you about that. Thanks for looking, Quindy.

Attachments

• CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • Josh\'s Relics CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    Josh\'s Relics CSA Cav. Camp 1-28-11.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Morgan\'s Camp 1-29-11.jpg
    Morgan\'s Camp 1-29-11.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tired of Seeing Tennessee CSA Cav. Camp Relics? Well, Here's More From 1-28!!

I for one never get sick of seeing your relics. :icon_thumright: Got out today on the mud flatts myself. Nothing to brag about but it felt good to get out and get dirty. Thanks for thinking of me Quindy. Keep up the good work. :icon_thumright:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Tired of Seeing Tennessee CSA Cav. Camp Relics? Well, Here's More From 1-28!!

Never Quindy....I could look at this all day :thumbsup: Now this can just get the heck out of here :( Nice dig's !!!

Attachments

• whatever 001.JPG
    whatever 001.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 972

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Hi Quindy , You and Josh are tearin into those old cavalry finds out in them hills :headbang: how do you get away with using that nice towel for a background on dirty relics :icon_scratch: :dontknow: my Mrs. would go out of her mind if I tried to do that :o :laughing7: Nice relics and always an interesting thread :thumbsup: dawg

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mainer said:
I for one never get sick of seeing your relics. :icon_thumright: Got out today on the mud flatts myself. Nothing to brag about but it felt good to get out and get dirty. Thanks for thinking of me Quindy. Keep up the good work. :icon_thumright:
Glad you got out Jesse. Felt good didn't it? HH, Quindy.
civilman1 said:
Never Quindy....I could look at this all day :thumbsup: Now this can just get the heck out of here :( Nice dig's !!!
Thanks Joe. It won'tr be long until you and MiniMe are out there hunting the plains of Sharpsbug. HH, Quindy.
CMDiamonddawg said:
:o Hi Quindy , You and Josh are tearin into those old cavalry finds out in them hills :headbang: how do you get away with using that nice towel for a background on dirty relics :icon_scratch: :dontknow: my Mrs. would go out of her mind if I tried to do that :o :laughing7: Nice relics and always an interesting thread :thumbsup: dawg

Don't talk too loud Dawg-LOL. I hope she thinks the towel belongs to Josh. She sees all my posts but really has no appreciation of how hard it is to consistently recover enough relics for a meager post every time we go hunting especially with Dman on i.r. The old pic backgornd towels need a good washing. HH, Quindy.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Always nice to see the relics, keep them coming, hopefully before long I post some more myself.

Bill

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now that's a fine CW relic haul any one would be proud of Quindy. I can't believe all those shoes still laying about. I hope Doug gets better soon, I know he's just chewing at the bit to get out.
Nice day J&Q :icon_thumright:

U

umrgolf

:headbang: sweet relics guys.. Im sure as heck not tired of seein em! (sweet belt hook too!)

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep the relics coming! Most of us other relics are stuck inside doing nothing!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice bunch of stuff. I took my F-75 LTD to the shop today to get it repaired and fine tuned. Maybe after I get it fixed and fine tuned it might be able to keep up with my Minelab SE. ;D Two more weeks and I can't wait. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Dman

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You definitely EARNED those relics walking 5 miles!!! It takes alot of dedication to get those remaining relics in today's relic- world and you definitely went that extra "Mile" today ;D :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:. Nice hunt Y'all :)

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never get tired of seeing history

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At least we can see what you are finding. As everything is frozen solid up here in Ohio.......Matt

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds Quindy. I have been working in Nashville during the week and coming home on weekends. Going to try to get with Guy tomorrow and get the cobwebs off our machines. Will let you know how we do. It's been a while since we have been able to get out due to weather. Again congrats on your finds.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahhh I heard a whisper across Monteagle that Vol was digging relics. Good job man looks like you nailed the site. I imagine you hunted along the way as well? You got the hills and we got the mtns. Nice relics as always. I am hunting Ga tomorrow.
HH
TnMtns

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

glad you got out .nice seeing your relics/i got out myself today but no luck but felt good getting out.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs you two. I called you yesterday to see how the diggin was. Now I know!!

I was thinking of bringing my partner and I down your way to get some diggin in. A sort of get the heck out of all this snow hunt. LOL

I called Earl yesterday also and he told me his father had passed away. He also told me that he was supposed to go with you fellows, but had to cancel out. He posted a picture of his dad hunting with him, he looked just like Earl, except no beard.

Earl and I will be riding together at DIV XVII. I really like that fellow, he is one of the best and a lot of fun to be around.

Keep posting your finds, someday I'll get back out and dig something. It should be around the end of March in Virginia.

HH, Denny (Ringfinder)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treasurehound said:
Nice finds Quindy. I have been working in Nashville during the week and coming home on weekends. Going to try to get with Guy tomorrow and get the cobwebs off our machines. Will let you know how we do. It's been a while since we have been able to get out due to weather. Again congrats on your finds.
Well heck, you and Quindy aren't too far apart now right?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Great Relics!
thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread