odds and ends -- mostly odds

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
I finally got out for a bit today, and depending on how long I was aimlessly wandering looking for hunting sites, I probably got in two to three hours of hunting.

I didn't get any silver this time, but I know where the old coins *aren't*, so I'm calling it "successful field research".

I found four wheats, the oldest was 1940. I found a sobriety token, and I'm going to assume that they weren't drunk when they lost it. I found a weird button with an anchor on it, but since I'm in Portland, Oregon instead of Portland, Maine, I'm just guessing that it is not an old navy button, but instead an Old Navy button. An agate, and some very strange triangular stones that I think the Sleestaks use to control the weather. And yeah, a pile-o-clad.

I had fun.

Attachments

• 061306.jpg
    061306.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think those stone they use them to "soften up" denim jeans like a rock tumbler....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those finds ML!

.....And I like to shop Old Navy! :D

Nana ;)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Nana40 said:
Congrats on those finds ML!

.....And I like to shop Old Navy! :D

Nana ;)

Thanks Nana!

dekalb33 said:
i think those stone they use them to "soften up" denim jeans like a rock tumbler....

Are you serious? (it is hard to tell with you sometimes ::) ) lol

I was driving around and spotted a sidewalk strip that had about 6 inches of topsoil removed. I got out to hunt it, but found that it was littered with TONS of ferrous junk. The ferrous junk was not only ALL OVER the place, but also really rusty and disintigrating, so it rendered my detector just about useless for hunting there. There was a lot of old broken glass and pottery mixed in, so I think the debris was pretty old. So while *attempting* to detect, I spotted a cool looking triangular rock and thought "how cool that nature could make such a symmetricaly triangular smooth stone!" and put it in my pocket. Then I found another, and another, and another..... Obviously they are from aliens.

trk5capt said:
mlw, Nice Haul, Congrats. Can You Clean The Button Up And Repost A Pic ? trk5capt...

Thanks! Button pic coming right up. This is as clean as I could get it, even after scrubbing on it with various, uh, scrubbing devices:

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 445

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I think you may have run into a pile of De-burring media and it sounds like they never removed the metal parts.
As mentioned above it's like a tumbler/polisher to remove the sharp edges on smaller metal parts.
I have seen people take this used material home to use as fill or landscaping rock.

This however would not rule out the possibility that Aliens did it.....they need jobs too. :D

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks for that info wet greenie. That would explain all the metal in there, too. I learn something here every day!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ta, Sa and Chaka all got very upset when I showed them a picture of the triangular "rocks," so I think you're right - those are definitely vintage Sleestak talismans.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Cool. You never know what you are going to find. Also, even if you didn't find silver you were hunting in the right spots since you scored some wheats.

Mirage

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone.

LOL @ the Sleestak comments. I wondered how many peeps would get that reference. :D

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlw67 said:
Thanks everyone.

LOL @ the Sleestak comments. I wondered how many peeps would get that reference. :D

Marshall, Will and Holly, on a routine expedition, met the greatest earthquake ever known....

It embarrases me to say that I didn't even have to look up those lyrics :-P. I feel so "dopey" :-P

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks guys!

JakePhelps said:
Nice finds, are you sure those rocks arent white chicklets? I would have tried eating one ::)

I licked one, it didn't taste chicklety. :-\ More like a raisinette.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
rtde3 said:
Neat finds! OK, I admit it. I just look at your post so I can crack up at your picture! ;D
The picture reminds me of my third grade teacher who made me sit under her desk all the time for talking in class...(imagine that ::)) ....and brings back scary images of thick nylons and big black shoes .....so I try not to look at the pic....

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
gypsyheart said:
rtde3 said:
Neat finds! OK, I admit it. I just look at your post so I can crack up at your picture! ;D
The picture reminds me of my third grade teacher who made me sit under her desk all the time for talking in class...(imagine that ::)) ....and brings back scary images of thick nylons and big black shoes .....so I try not to look at the pic....

LOL Gypsy! Well like I said, the pic isn't me. But I am wearing thick nylons and big black shoes. :D ROFL! Ok, ok, no I'm not--I'm a just a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. And you don't have to sit under my desk.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
mlw67 said:
gypsyheart said:
rtde3 said:

LOL Gypsy! Well like I said, the pic isn't me. But I am wearing thick nylons and big black shoes. :D ROFL! Ok, ok, no I'm not--I'm a just a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. And you don't have to sit under my desk.
Cool ...does that mean I can also talk all I want? hahahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread