odds and ends -- mostly odds
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

odds and ends -- mostly odds

I finally got out for a bit today, and depending on how long I was aimlessly wandering looking for hunting sites, I probably got in two to three hours of hunting.

I didn't get any silver this time, but I know where the old coins *aren't*, so I'm calling it "successful field research".

I found four wheats, the oldest was 1940. I found a sobriety token, and I'm going to assume that they weren't drunk when they lost it. I found a weird button with an anchor on it, but since I'm in Portland, Oregon instead of Portland, Maine, I'm just guessing that it is not an old navy button, but instead an Old Navy button. An agate, and some very strange triangular stones that I think the Sleestaks use to control the weather. And yeah, a pile-o-clad.

I had fun.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061306.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	87330  

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    53 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: odds and ends -- mostly odds

i think those stone they use them to "soften up" denim jeans like a rock tumbler....
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

Oct 2005
    Charleston S.C.
    12 times

mlw, Nice Haul, Congrats. Can You Clean The Button Up And Repost A Pic ? trk5capt...

Congrats on those finds ML!

.....And I like to shop Old Navy!

Nana

us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nana40
    Congrats on those finds ML!

.....And I like to shop Old Navy!

Nana
    Thanks Nana!

Quote Originally Posted by dekalb33
    i think those stone they use them to "soften up" denim jeans like a rock tumbler....
    Are you serious? (it is hard to tell with you sometimes ) lol

I was driving around and spotted a sidewalk strip that had about 6 inches of topsoil removed. I got out to hunt it, but found that it was littered with TONS of ferrous junk. The ferrous junk was not only ALL OVER the place, but also really rusty and disintigrating, so it rendered my detector just about useless for hunting there. There was a lot of old broken glass and pottery mixed in, so I think the debris was pretty old. So while *attempting* to detect, I spotted a cool looking triangular rock and thought "how cool that nature could make such a symmetricaly triangular smooth stone!" and put it in my pocket. Then I found another, and another, and another..... Obviously they are from aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by trk5capt
    mlw, Nice Haul, Congrats. Can You Clean The Button Up And Repost A Pic ? trk5capt...
    Thanks! Button pic coming right up. This is as clean as I could get it, even after scrubbing on it with various, uh, scrubbing devices:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	button.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	87364  

Oct 2005
    Central Minnesota
    GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
    4 times

I think you may have run into a pile of De-burring media and it sounds like they never removed the metal parts.
    As mentioned above it's like a tumbler/polisher to remove the sharp edges on smaller metal parts.
    I have seen people take this used material home to use as fill or landscaping rock.

This however would not rule out the possibility that Aliens did it.....they need jobs too.
    Is it a Jacket on or Jacket off day?

us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Thanks for that info wet greenie. That would explain all the metal in there, too. I learn something here every day!

us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    16 times

I prefer to believe they are weather altering stones used by the Sleestaks...................they are among us!
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2240 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Ta, Sa and Chaka all got very upset when I showed them a picture of the triangular "rocks," so I think you're right - those are definitely vintage Sleestak talismans.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    35 times

Cool. You never know what you are going to find. Also, even if you didn't find silver you were hunting in the right spots since you scored some wheats.

Mirage
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Thanks everyone.

LOL @ the Sleestak comments. I wondered how many peeps would get that reference.

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2240 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mlw67
    Thanks everyone.

LOL @ the Sleestak comments. I wondered how many peeps would get that reference.
    Marshall, Will and Holly, on a routine expedition, met the greatest earthquake ever known....

It embarrases me to say that I didn't even have to look up those lyrics :-P. I feel so "dopey" :-P
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

us
    Oct 2005
    Summerville, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    14 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Good deal, Art...

us
    Tesoro Cibola

Jul 2005
    Massachusetts
    Tesoro Cibola
    14 times

Nice finds, are you sure those rocks arent white chicklets? I would have tried eating one

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    166 times

Nice finds! HH, Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links