Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had about 4 hours to kill this afternoon so I head over to the farmhouse property where I dug the 1943 Walker half and silver pocket watch cover last month. I wasn't too successful out the the soybean fields or the collard patch, so I headed to the front yard. Not expecting to find much since I've been over it a few times already, I finally found a few keepers. The three keepers were all found within 30 minutes just before I was going to head home.
I had a great signal by some boxwoods and could tell it was a deep sweet signal. Just as I dug the plug my cell phone rang. :dontknow: It was my long lost Tnet buddy Andy (DD-777) on the other end. I told him I had just dug a silver quarter with a flying eagle on the back, but was unsure what it was. Of course he thought I was full of crappe'. :tongue3: I told him he was my good luck charm. After a bit of chit chat I grabbed my cameras and headed back to the plug to see what exactly it was. All I could see as far as the date was a "3". After checking my Red Book I found out I had dug a 1923 SLQ. This is my oldest coin so far from this property. :hello2:
Here's a video to enjoy:

Once I had pictures of the SLQ I was pumped to stay and find more. ;D Within minutes I has some sort of oval tag that all I could read was "Employee" on the front. I was hoping it was a chauffeurs license, but that was not to be. :(
After that I dug a bracelet about 20' away. With those three items in my pouch I called it a day. :thumbsup:

*1923 SLQ

*"Employee 1400 Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va" tag
Any idea what this tag would have been used for or how old it may be?

*Bracelet says "Ralph Boyd Smith" on the front and "Love Elva" on the back

*Possible arrowhead?
Is this an arrowhead?

*Asst'd other goodies.

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-084S.JPG
    MVC-084S.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,055
  • MVC-085S.JPG
    MVC-085S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • MVC-088S.JPG
    MVC-088S.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,042
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,031
  • MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSCN4118.JPG
    DSCN4118.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • MVC-089S.JPG
    MVC-089S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,045
  • MVC-090S.JPG
    MVC-090S.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • MVC-091S.JPG
    MVC-091S.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE on the bracelet:
A buddy of mine found on the Ancestry website that Ralph Boyd Smith was born on 8/15/1914 in Wake County, NC. and died on 10/21/1987.
His wife Elva was born in 1922 and died in 1973.
The numbers on the bracelet are still puzzling. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Doug I meant to get to this post sooner but it was a busy weekend and my wife's Birthday :o :o :P Anyways, though.....Now that's what I call "gettin' it done". That's a very nice hunt and you gotta love those SLQs! Also appreciate the very cool video and photos! :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice dig's Doug :thumbsup: Congrat's on the SLQ .....Sideway's 4's :icon_scratch: got me man,it'll all come together one of these day's hopefully.Had to put a new battery in the old chicken hawk the other night......still loud as ever :tongue3:

Attachments

• Chicken Hawk 004.JPG
    Chicken Hawk 004.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 352
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Nice research fellas :headbang:

Mikey,
I see you have updated to Virginia now. I will expect an invite to detect some VA CW relics soon. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Wish you & the family well.
-Dug-

DetectorOCD said:
Silver Umax represent! :headbang:

Good finds. I am a subscriber of yours :)

Thanks so much DOCD. :thumbsup: I greatly appreciate it.
The Silver Umax has been an excellent machine for me over these last four years. It's the only one I've ever used and it finds the goodies, that's for sure. I actually own two of them. ;D

-Doug-

{Sentinel} said:
Sorry Doug I meant to get to this post sooner but it was a busy weekend and my wife's Birthday :o :o :P Anyways, though.....Now that's what I call "gettin' it done". That's a very nice hunt and you gotta love those SLQs! Also appreciate the very cool video and photos! :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Joshmeister,
Since when do I come in second after your wife. :tongue3: :laughing9:
You're excused Brother. :occasion14:
-Dug-

civilman1 said:
Nice dig's Doug :thumbsup: Congrat's on the SLQ .....Sideway's 4's :icon_scratch: got me man,it'll all come together one of these day's hopefully.Had to put a new battery in the old chicken hawk the other night......still loud as ever :tongue3:

Joe,
I still think that eagle was owned by General Sherman. You may want to send that back to me. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Thanks for posting that picture. I forgot what it looked like. I may have told you this, but I found numerous CW bullets & buttons around that piece. I would love to know if it was CW era. :dontknow:
-Dug-

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Great job Doug!!!! SLQ are always awesome to find. And having Andy on the phone at the time of the dig is priceless (but it does not make up for Andy pulling out an 1891 seated quarter on his maiden outting with the Explorer at your great site. And for that we shall tar and feather him in the woods this weekend... (I had a great dig there, too, if you recall ie: bottle dig video)) but enough about the past. GREAT FINDS DOUG!!!! :hello2:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nc-joe said:
Great job Doug!!!! SLQ are always awesome to find. And having Andy on the phone at the time of the dig is priceless (but it does not make up for Andy pulling out an 1891 seated quarter on his maiden outting with the Explorer at your great site. And for that we shall tar and feather him in the woods this weekend... (I had a great dig there, too, if you recall ie: bottle dig video)) but enough about the past. GREAT FINDS DOUG!!!! :hello2:

I sure do remember. Both you clowns found some great stuff at my sites. Well, except our last hunt that is. ;D
I'll bring the tar, you bring the feathers. Andy will look like Foghorn Leghorn by the time we get done with him. And by the way, he's STILL not putting cheese on his Southern barbecue sandwiches. :laughing9:
Hopefully you show on Saturday. ;D
-Dug-

Indiana Digger said:
Great Finds! :icon_thumleft:

Congrats!

~Indiana Digger~

Thanks ID,
Any Hoosier is a friend of mine. ;D
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baylorhall said:
There was a Ralph Boyd Smith in the US Army register. He was born in 1890 and lived in Toledo, Ohio. Here is the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9I...0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=ralph boyd smith&f=false

Maybe the number was his military ID number.

Thanks BH. Wrong Ralph Boyd, but the numbers are still a mystery. :dontknow:
A buddy of mine found on the Ancestry website that Ralph Boyd Smith was born on 8/15/1914 in Wake County, NC. and died on 10/21/1987.
His wife Elva was born in 1922 and died in 1973.

-MM-

allen said:
great job on that sweet assortment of finds !!!

Thanks Allen.
:icon_thumleft:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread