nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a Beautiful day here in Kentucky, So me and the gang headed for another possible wooded site that I located on the maps. We didn't take a detector with us, but was out for just some good ole family time and enjoying the Outdoors with hopes of finding the site.
We walked about a half mile back in the woods when we started seeing some natural signs of a old homesite and than coming up on a flat area, where we found alot of rock wall formations and after alittle more searching we found bricks and coal chunks, so I knew we found the chimney end of the house.
Without having a Metal detector, I thought the next best thing was to look around for a trash pit and lo and behold with checking a few areas by dragging some leaves and with some big help of the Beautiful sun shining today, we found glass pieces and pottery. So, with about another hour to spend the gang got busy dragging more leaves and limbs and started finding broken tops and more pottery that led to some pretty decent surface finds. The finds of the day going to my 16 yr old daughter with 2 complete bottles and me ending with a half.
her biggest bottle embossed reads: Lydia E Pinkhams Vegetable Compound and than 14 1/2 ozs. on the shoulder of the bottle. Her other bottle is not embossed but I think it's alittle older, maybe mid to late 1800's. The half that i found is embossed : Rawleighs and with a green tint probably late 1800's.
If We would had a detector or even a shovel, I am sure the finds list would have been longer but my day out with the Family couldn't have been any bigger (unless the wife and oldest daughter would have came.) :hello2:
Thanks For Reading, Nova Treasure

Attachments

• January 29 homesites 2011 010.jpg
    January 29 homesites 2011 010.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 706
  • January 29 homesites 2011 007.jpg
    January 29 homesites 2011 007.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 713
  • January 29 homesites 2011 008.jpg
    January 29 homesites 2011 008.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 710
  • January 29 homesites 2011 014.jpg
    January 29 homesites 2011 014.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 707
  • January 29 homesites 2011 015.jpg
    January 29 homesites 2011 015.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 703
Upvote 0

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I was scrolling down your post, looking at the pics, I thought your whole family didn't have any legs!! (second pic) ;D Seriously, nice bottle finds........you really need a detector out there!

U

umrgolf

really nice post, enjoyed the pictures and that site looks real promising :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great pics and story Bill. I'll bet you will be back there. Very nice looking family. The bottles will clean up nice. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Roland58 said:
As I was scrolling down your post, looking at the pics, I thought your whole family didn't have any legs!! (second pic) ;D Seriously, nice bottle finds........you really need a detector out there!

Good size reference to how tall the walls were :thumbsup:. I will have a Detector there very soon.

umrgolf said:
really nice post, enjoyed the pictures and that site looks real promising :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff, the site will be interesting swinging with our last couple of yrs of ice storms, but it will be fun to see what's waiting beneath the coil.

VOL1266-X said:
Great pics and story Bill. I'll bet you will be back there. Very nice looking family. The bottles will clean up nice. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, I will definitely be back and hopefully add some relics and a few more bottles to the collection.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Roland58 said:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Now that was funny Roland!

Dave

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Looks like a very promising spot. Good luck with that hunt!!!!!

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a good site to me Nova, get back out there today and dig up the good stuff.
Bring the kids with ya and have them move the deadfall from the storms, make your swinging easy.
PS Don't let your son school ya again!

Hill

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hill Billy said:
Looks like a good site to me Nova, get back out there today and dig up the good stuff.
Bring the kids with ya and have them move the deadfall from the storms, make your swinging easy.
PS Don't let your son school ya again!

Hill

Thanks HB, I have another site picked for today, but I will visit this one again soon.
LOL, I hope my son and my daughter shows me up every chance they get. my other daughters enjoy the family time, but they lose interest in diggin pretty quick,lol.

Bill

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
70monte68 said:
Looks like a very promising spot. Good luck with that hunt!!!!!

Thanks, it will be fun.

Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
"We didn't take a detector with us, but was out for just some good ole family time"

Sounds to me you have all the treasure one needs. :)

Mike, your exactly right, back 20 yrs ago before I started my Family I use to Metal detect almost every day and found thousands of relics and coins with some incredible memories, but now with my family and a mix with this Great Hobby and History. Life couldn't be any better :icon_sunny:.

Bill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Pics and Post.
Looks like you had a great day out there :hello2:
I remember a Brick Building in Lynn Massachusetts that still had a wall painted
with the Lydia Pinkham sign, I believe it was a bottling/manufacturing center.
Best to you & your Family :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you got one treasure that we all want......a family. Now, working on the extra trimmings.....:)
Love the looks of that big old tree. There's got to be some stuff hiding from you in it's roots. Dig em out.
Be careful. Might be worth a pretty penny. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I would be digging all over that place. The Lydia bottle is really quite common. That one dates to late 1800's early 1900's. The other bottle is most likely a whiskey. Of course it would have had a paper label on it. Cool finds. I would detect all around and then probe for the privy area. There has to be one close by. You may find some pontiled bottles around there. Goodluck, and great looking family BTW. :thumbsup: jgas

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Good to see your family detecting with ya ! My dad and I spend our time together detecting as well ! Looks like the place has a lot of potential ! ! Keep us updated when ya start diggin'

-Tx :tongue3:

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_thumleft: Glad to see y'all getting out together as a family and enjoying better weather. It looks like a wonderful site to go back to and really probe the area. I got to go to a nice spot with a stone stacked wall (not slave fence old) but eary 1900's around where the home stood. Partially wooded with some really old live oaks, pine trees, majestic palms and was a really neat looking site. Spoke with the lady at the neighboring property which has a beautiful humongous home. She said her mansion was built in 1925 by one of the New York Yankees players (can't recall which player) as they won the "World Series" that year!!! He wanted a warm winter home in St. Petersburg as it was becoming all the rage from the media. It was said that "Babe Ruth" was a regular at her home and pictures show him throwing baseball in that very backyard.
Anyways, she told me that the site I was detecting had a home about the size of her home and that it had been tore down about 4 years ago. She said that an old doctor and his family had lived there for many years, later came a judge and his family, as time went on after their death it was then taken over by a property management group and rented to whomever until it's demise without proper upkeep it was tore down.
Long story short, I didn't hardly have any time to hunt before sundown, but I really felt good about the spot. Dug an old key, a sawblade, some trash, a couple of modern coins, also found a punchout from a utility box and turning dark and with the pine needles and dark silt/sand I thought I had first found an old coin (LOL) :tongue3:. Got home and found out what it really was. :(

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She said her mansion was built in 1925 by one of the New York Yankees players (can't recall which player) as they won the "World Series" that year!!!
That's great Bobby, hopefully you can make a return trip when you have more time and find some more cool finds.
It's always Awesome to me for the History lesson when talking to people, it brings back so many Great memories of our Grandpa sitting around with us and telling one History lesson after another.

Stay safe my brother, Bill

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site! Looks like some good stuff in the ground there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread