Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today's Tennessee Relic Hunt

Started the day hunting a park while waiting for my friends to show up. I just found a wheat penny when they showed up and we left for our relic hunt. The site is on private property with an old 1800's house that has not been lived in since the 1920's. The owner met with us and showed us where she has been finding some of her relics. We have hunted here several times and have done very good. Today started out kind of slow. Hunting with us today was Larry, Guy and myself. Also hunting with us for the first time was Mark. After a while I called Guy and he said he was at the site in the woods where we found bullets on the last hunt. So I met up with him and just as I show up he finds another 3 ringer. Then he shows me a beautiful spur he found. I kept hearing his MXT going off and him saying "bullet". I think my machine was in the horseshoe mode as I was finding them and the nails that went with them. Finally I find a good brass target. I believe it is a burnside cartridge. A man and his son showed up as they were looking for turkey feathers. The young man was very interested in what we were doing. Guy showed his some of his finds that he had laid out on a log and gives him one of the bullets he found. Later we found out the boy took a couple more of the bullets that Guy had laid out. No problem. He will probably take to school for show and tell and talk about the two men he saw using metal detectors. We then decided to work our way back down the hill and hunt around the old house again. That was when I found what I first thought was a set of suspenders but now I think it is just a part of some horse tack. The land owner was there and she just found a ring with a twisted piece on it. She gave it to me as she did not want it. I think it was part of a horse bit. Mark and Guy had to leave so Larry and I hunted a little longer. I was concentrating around the old house as I found some flat buttons there last time. I got a good signal and it was a gear to a watch I think. I rechecked the hole and got another high tone. Boy I was hoping it was the gold covers. But it turned out to be a very nice flat button with a solid shank. Then I found a fired 3 ringer and another flat button. After finding a few more odds and ends we decided to call it a day. So it may have started out slow but ended good after finding the buttons and lead.

Attachments

• 001 (1280x960).jpg
    001 (1280x960).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 804
  • 002 (1280x960).jpg
    002 (1280x960).jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 805
  • 003 (1280x960).jpg
    003 (1280x960).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 790
  • 004 (1280x960).jpg
    004 (1280x960).jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 786
  • 007 (1280x960).jpg
    007 (1280x960).jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 766
  • 008 (1280x960).jpg
    008 (1280x960).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 777
  • 010 (1280x960).jpg
    010 (1280x960).jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 759
  • 014 (1280x960).jpg
    014 (1280x960).jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 737
  • 005 (1280x960).jpg
    005 (1280x960).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 741
  • 006 (1280x960).jpg
    006 (1280x960).jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 733
  • 012 (1280x960).jpg
    012 (1280x960).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 719
Upvote 0

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
Re: Today's Tennessee Relic Hunt

I had a great time today with you guys, It was sooo nice to be able to go out, this winter has been crazy!!!! those are some nice buttons.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tnrelicman said:
I had a great time today with you guys, It was sooo nice to be able to go out, this winter has been crazy!!!! those are some nice buttons.

I enjoyed it too Guy. That spur you found I think was the highlight of the day. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Good finds Looks like that place is producing some nice relics.
Dman

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds, looks like quite of bit history covered in a day :thumbsup:.

you are right, the ring with wire is part of a snaffle bit.

Nova Treasure

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Your flat button with the arrows on the back....I found one exactly like it a couple of years ago on a CW site. Congrats on your finds.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey Randy, you guys had a good day in East Tennessee. That's a good pic of a bridle showing the buckles that we all find in CW sites. That "twisted" bit was used for horses and mules that were a little ornery as that style was a little rougher on their mouth than a smooth one. You had some nice relics there- especially the button.
As I told Guy, I hope the kid does not tell everyone that he saw some people digging CW relics there or you can set up a lemonade stand there the next time you go-LOL. There may even be a Minelab dealer from NC set up there and selling detectors-LOL. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
Hey Randy, you guys had a good day in East Tennessee. That's a good pic of a bridle showing the buckles that we all find in CW sites. That "twisted" bit was used for horses and mules that were a little ornery as that style was a little rougher on their mouth than a smooth one. You had some nice relics there- especially the button.
As I told Guy, I hope the kid does not tell everyone that he saw some people digging CW relics there or you can set up a lemonade stand there the next time you go-LOL. There may even be a Minelab dealer from NC set up there and selling detectors-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy. Mike was with us the last time we hunted there.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice digs! Nice hand-forged clevis! I think the "horse Tack" may actually be a dog harness.. The bit is part of a single-wire ring bit.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I think my machine was in the horseshoe mode" :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Now that was a great hunt. Congrats TH. :thumbsup:
Maybe I missed it, but what is that piece in the second photo shaped like a horseshoe with the curled up ends? :icon_scratch:

As far as Quindy's lemonade stand comment above, watch out. He will want 50% of the profits for coming up with the idea. ;D

Great job,
Doug

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Maybe I missed it, but what is that piece in the second photo shaped like a horseshoe with the curled up ends?

I believe it is a hand forged clevis. Man lugging that thing and all them horseshoes around was something. I couldn't wait to stop by the truck and drop off all that iron and get back to swinging. lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you guys had fun. There is plenty there for the whole crew I just read the other post where the kid is collecting bullets.
It looks like lemonade is in your future :icon_sunny:
HH
TnMtns

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are big diggins'!

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

TnMountains said:
Sounds like you guys had fun. There is plenty there for the whole crew I just read the other post where the kid is collecting bullets.
It looks like lemonade is in your future :icon_sunny:
HH
TnMtns

It was a lot of fun. Of course anytime you find something it is fun. Let's hope we don't see that lemonade stand. lol

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

Looks like it has been a good week for relics in Tennessee, WOW! Great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions