Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday... (Updated more pics)

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Picked up this beautiful 10K or 12K (tested under 14K) Victorian Era (1880-1920) Cameo ring from about 5" down in the shell mulch sand on Sunday. Best part was it was located right smack in the middle of 3 previously dug holes by another MD'er. He was moving way too fast for this trash laden beach and passed it up along with a ton of other targets. They key is to just slow down, sometimes way down, keep that coil flat and persevere... HH all!!

Added more pics as requested, including one of the beauty that stole it from me lol...

Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Plucked a Gold Victorian Cameo Ring from the sand Sunday...

Newt said:
Very cool!
Could it be a seal ring?
Newt
I don't think so.. but the Cameo was carved out of some type of rock or shell I believe this may be Volcanic rock.. I could be wrong tho..

Found this to Help him clean it...

To prevent damage and corrosion to the frame, cameo jewelry should be stored in a secure, clean and dry place. Even gold frames become tarnished due to pollution and oxidation of the alloys in the metal. Careful storage can retard this natural process as well as prevent shells from becoming chipped. Cleaning cameos is simple. A gentle scrubbing with a soft bristle toothbrush in a mild soap and water solution is the most popular method. It should be rinsed off immediately and thoroughly with warm water. Never soak shell cameos or "soft" stones in any cleaning solution for more than 30 seconds. After cleaning you need to moisturize. This is done, preferably, with a fine oil such as mineral or baby oil applied with a Q-tip. It should be allowed to "soak " for a few hours or overnight. Then, wipe off any excess oil that visually remains. This process should be performed once or twice a year

i would take that to a jewler first to see if you can get a idea of value an what the cameo is made of..then I would take it to a museum or a very high dollar appaiser to see what it is exactly an worth.. I am very confident it is worth some serious money!

Bulldog1948

Jan 2, 2011
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
GC 1036- Gold Digger

WOW :notworthy: :notworthy: What a Great day at the beach.
All we've got here is freezing rain and more snow on the way- oh yeah, real froggy opps- foggy now. I'll just have to sit and have my :coffee2:, kick back read post and dream of Spring.
Bulldog 1948

OP
OP
F

fir469

Dec 18, 2007

creeper71 said:
Newt said:
Very cool!
Could it be a seal ring?
Newt
I don't think so.. but the Cameo was carved out of some type of rock or shell I believe this may be Volcanic rock.. I could be wrong tho..

Found this to Help him clean it...

To prevent damage and corrosion to the frame, cameo jewelry should be stored in a secure, clean and dry place. Even gold frames become tarnished due to pollution and oxidation of the alloys in the metal. Careful storage can retard this natural process as well as prevent shells from becoming chipped. Cleaning cameos is simple. A gentle scrubbing with a soft bristle toothbrush in a mild soap and water solution is the most popular method. It should be rinsed off immediately and thoroughly with warm water. Never soak shell cameos or "soft" stones in any cleaning solution for more than 30 seconds. After cleaning you need to moisturize. This is done, preferably, with a fine oil such as mineral or baby oil applied with a Q-tip. It should be allowed to "soak " for a few hours or overnight. Then, wipe off any excess oil that visually remains. This process should be performed once or twice a year

Thanks for the awesome preservation post Creeper! I only gave it a quick rinse in warm water which removed all the salt and sand and polished it with a soft eyeglass cloth. She's sitting in a little jewelry box now.

Definitely not a Seal Ring Newt, most of them are inverted to create a embossed effect on the wax rather then an indentation.

Mark, The GF tried it on and it only fits her pinky, must have been some delicate lady fingers that it once graced.

The stone is a milky periwinkle color unlike most cameos I've seen that are white or black or coral. The left side of the face is almost translucent in the light. I'm proud to own a piece of Victorian history, brings a whole new meaning to the show "Boardwalk Empire".

Thanks for the awesome comments guys and for the banner noms!!

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: very nice ring...a couple more pics would be nice,,, any markings inside band? yes i am jealous and happy for you all at the same time..congrats.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beautiful ring! :icon_thumleft: That's one awesome antique ring!

You make a really good point about slowing down! Last March I dug a Morgan silver dollar out of a famous S.F. park. All around the target were the plugs dug by another detectorist that looked to be one to 7 days old.

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri

Very nice ring...who wouldn't be jumping up and down to find that. Like a couple of others....it looks like my hunting days are gone for a bit. We have about 12 inches on the ground and supposed to keep snowing until this evening......YAHOO. Just how much better could it get.

Again....great find
gregd

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold

Wow big congrats on an awesome ring! :icon_thumleft:

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008

Wow. Thats a beauty. I really love old cameos.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As my son says Man!!! thats Sick!.....Translation= Bud that is one cool ring.......ChaaaaChingggg!!!! :o :o :o

Imnengr

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago Area
Detector(s) used
E-trac, X-terra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that ring, truly unique. Great job. We are currently in middle of a blizzard here in Chicago area...howling winds and blowing snow...should I get out there and detect? :headbang:

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fir469 said:
Picked up this beautiful 10K or 12K (tested under 14K) Victorian Era (1880-1920) Cameo ring from about 5" down in the shell mulch sand on Sunday. Best part was it was located right smack in the middle of 3 previously dug holes by another MD'er. He was moving way too fast for this trash laden beach and passed it up along with a ton of other targets. They key is to just slow down, sometimes way down, keep that coil flat and persevere... HH all!!

Added more pics as requested, including one of the beauty that stole it from me lol...

Absolutely Stunning.....

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real beauty!!! The ring looks good too :tongue3: Congrats, BS

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
your first pic the cameo looked black so I thought it was lava..but now it looks to be made of shell.. I am not a expert tho it could may possibly even be ivory?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That second picture should be on the BANNER! Come on people let's get it up there.

OP
OP
F

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Thanks for the awesome comments guys!! And I can't say enough how much I appreciate the banner noms, I'd be thrilled to grace the banner!! It was odd how the color changed. On sunday when that pic was taken on the beach it was that bluish, grayish color and was when I got home as well. I took it back out of the drawer last night to take the new pics I posted and it was white!! I'm guessing maybe the stone was retaining moisture, minerals, or salt or all of the above and dried out overnight resulting in it's true color. It's a nice cream color with lines of bluish gray through it. The girlfriend loves it that's for sure! Thanks again guys!!

-Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread