CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi T Net, Ground Hog Day 2011 Wed. was the meltdown here in Jersey , just enough to get rid of the remaining white stuff . Temps were up in the high 50's and the pesky groundhog varmit did his thing . A short hunt was the best medicine for cabin fever . Started out at a nearby old reliable corn field area and found some nice iron relics , horse shoes , and two more ax heads . Then after nothing but shell tops for an hour I dug some ammo for small caliber gun. I was ready to call it when I dug this pistol at about six inches near the brass and lead . I was sure it wasn't a toy and cleaned it up back at the house . Turns out to be a Ivers Johnson , 1889 Defender pocket pistol, 22 cal. five shot revolver . :headbang: Pictures are what it used to look like when first made 1889 -1895. I have been finding some gun parts lately but this is the first complete one in years. 8) Not a large cal. bad boy but still in fair shape . Last picture is the ground hog . Lil varmits packin' heat :o :laughing7: Thanks for taking a look , CMDdawg

Attachments

• 100_1580.jpg
    100_1580.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,852
  • 22-left.jpg
    22-left.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,115
  • 2011 005.JPG
    2011 005.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,043
  • 2011 004.JPG
    2011 004.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,362
  • 2011 035.JPG
    2011 035.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,746
  • 100_1580.jpg
    100_1580.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,771
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. :headbang: :headbang: Congrats. :thumbsup:

I'm amazed at the condition of the grips. I've seen several over the years that weren't buried in the ground for years and the grips are usually chipped badly or at least cracked.

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Awesome find. :headbang: :headbang: Congrats. :thumbsup:

I'm amazed at the condition of the grips. I've seen several over the years that weren't buried in the ground for years and the grips are usually chipped badly or at least cracked.
[/quote Thanks DigginThe Past , The grips are exceptional . I am not sure if they are bakelite or a hard rubber :icon_scratch: no cracks :thumbsup: . Makes me wonder when this pistol was lost . Exciting dig :headbang:
BobinSouthVA said:
wow thats a cool find. WTG :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Bob

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grips will be hard rubber. The gun was produced prior to Bakelite being introduced.

edit to add: Wanted to double check my memory. :D Bakelite was invented in 1907 and introduced to the general public in 1909. Your pistol was last produced in 1895. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Grips will be hard rubber. The gun was produced prior to Bakelite being introduced.
Thanks , helpful info :icon_thumleft:
txconservative said:
Woo Hoo sweet find Diamond !!

-Tx
Thanks Tex , sweet of you to stop by .This one is just a little ol peashooter

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Love something like that more than a coin... There is always a story behind such a find....

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the looks of the area and finds, it looks like the groundhogs were being used for target practice. :laughing9:

A little more information on your "Birds Head Grip" revolver:

The Defender was manufactured by Johnson & Bye (later Iver Johnson) from 1873-1888. There were three different frame sizes for both square butt and birds head grip models. The small frame was chambered for .22 rimfire; the medium frame was chambered for .32 rimfire; and the large frame was chambered for .38 or .41 rimfire. Serial numbers for each frame size and model started at 1 and ran to 99,999, then started over again. These were all smooth bore guns. Defender is the most common brand name, but Johnson & Bye also made the same guns under other names, including Eagle, Encore, Eureka, Favorite, Favorite Navy, Lion, Smoker, Old Hickory, and Tycoon. Pearl and ivory grips were available by special order, as were longer barrels.

There was a second series of guns made by Johnson & Bye from 1889-1899 that had rifled barrels and redesigned and improved lockwork. These were sold as the Defender 89. “Defender 89” was stamped on the topstrap and molded into the hard rubber grips.

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Where in Jersey are you to have no snow on the ground lol... You're only 30 mins from me and we still have snow cover!! Arg!! Nice find on the pistol, I'd love to find an old handgun!!

-Jason

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fir469 said:
Where in Jersey are you to have no snow on the ground lol... You're only 30 mins from me and we still have snow cover!! Arg!! Nice find on the pistol, I'd love to find an old handgun!!

-Jason
Why would you say I live 30 minutes from you when you are asking where I am in NJ . :dontknow: The state is over 200 miles from N to South and a 100 mile e to West Well there was still this amount of snow left ::) ;D
Westfront said:
Wow! Love something like that more than a coin... There is always a story behind such a find....
Thanks Westfront
Wldbil said:
Now that is a cool find!!! Congrats :icon_thumright:
Thanks Wildbil
Blind Squirrel said:
Sweet find :icon_thumright:
Thanks Blind Squirrel
EagleDown said:
From the looks of the area and finds, it looks like the groundhogs were being used for target practice. :laughing9:

A little more information on your "Birds Head Grip" revolver:

The Defender was manufactured by Johnson & Bye (later Iver Johnson) from 1873-1888. There were three different frame sizes for both square butt and birds head grip models. The small frame was chambered for .22 rimfire; the medium frame was chambered for .32 rimfire; and the large frame was chambered for .38 or .41 rimfire. Serial numbers for each frame size and model started at 1 and ran to 99,999, then started over again. These were all smooth bore guns. Defender is the most common brand name, but Johnson & Bye also made the same guns under other names, including Eagle, Encore, Eureka, Favorite, Favorite Navy, Lion, Smoker, Old Hickory, and Tycoon. Pearl and ivory grips were available by special order, as were longer barrels.

There was a second series of guns made by Johnson & Bye from 1889-1899 that had rifled barrels and redesigned and improved lockwork. These were sold as the Defender 89. “Defender 89” was stamped on the topstrap and molded into the hard rubber grips.
Thanks dude , great info Eagle, birds head 8) 8)
fir469 said:
:thumbsup:
Damon64 said:
Cool pistol!
Thanks Damon 8)
VOL1266-X said:
You have done it again Super Dawg!! Excellent find. I have never dug a complete gun. HH, Quindy.
Thanks Quindy ... # 2
fir469 said:

-Jason
Jason , it's all gone here in the Cape, except this :dontknow:

Attachments

• snow 003.JPG
    snow 003.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,422

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Defender Dawg! :hello2: What a cool old pistol. I bet you weren't expecting that one. ;D
Congrats,
MM

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
makes ya wonder about it's history.... AWESOME find dawg !! gangster related ???? ya find any bones by it ?? LOL again nice find scott

U

umrgolf

:o Pea-shooter held up really well.. early spring thanks to your buddy there :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread