First coin find in 2011 is 1786 New Jersey Copper

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding the TALLIO cufflinks last month and having not been able to get out since then I seized the opportunity this morning to get a hunt in at the site that has been our go to place for a year now. Yesterday at the site, my son on a solo hunt, wanted to try out his new T2 detector and he was rewarded with BUCKSHOT for his first retrieval. :D However, he did get his second colonial copper for the year with his new detector not long afterwards a beat up Old Head style King George II Halfpenny.

So, I decided to go the site and hunt the opposite side from where he hunted and within the first five minutes I got the sweet sound a of coin, the crosshairs gave a no doubt about verification on the visual ID and dug and in the pile was a pretty scuzzy looking copper, but sure made my morning, especially getting one so quickly. Well, as I got up after retrieving the coin, I ended up having to cut the hunt short after my back decided time to head home rather abrutly, so I swallowed my pride and aborted the hunt after less than an hour total hunting time. Sure it will be OK by weeks end to try again, since Mother Nature is now starting to be a good girl!

So here is the view where from where the coin was found
The site.jpg
Copper in the pile!!
coin as first seen.jpg
Cleaning in progress, it was not till afternoon that I knew my crusty copper was my 16th NJ copper found!
NJobvCleaningIP.jpg
NJRevCleaningIP.jpg
And the before and after photograph, she may be crusty, but sure now looks a lot better than as it was...........
1786Maris15T before after.jpg

Don

Upvote 0

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! What did you use to clean?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheProf said:
Great find! What did you use to clean?

Almost always use warm peroxide and TLC with Q-tips and soak in distilled water afterwards, dry and then coat with a bees wax if necessary and it was in this case.

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks I found a 1794 Large cent recently and trying to read it better.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find, sure hope to dig something 1700s someday myself

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi Don congrats on the 1786 Jersey copper. Have you figured which variety it is? :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, that is an amazing job on the clean up, i have got to try it on some of my LC's.

That's funny because i just told the Prof about this method.

I wouldn't wish a bad back on my worst enemy, hope you get better.

Congratulations on an outstanding find.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba65 said:
Hi Don congrats on the 1786 Jersey copper. Have you figured which variety it is? :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

The Obverse side is Maris 15 without question, now the Reverse side is tricky, I think it is a T variety possibilities were J, L, T and U. Looks like a U to me, I have asked C4 members for verification, no reply as of yet, but for now M.15-T it is..........

Update, verified by several collectors, and I was correct, I was told the key to being a T reverse is that the letter B at the top is lower than U and thus the center point is closer to the B than U as on the other possibilities.............

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going on the copper. I must admit I am a bit jealous. Not so much about the copper as I am about the amount of snow that is still on the ground here keeping me indoors.

Remember to stretch next time before you detect. ;D (Just kidding. I hope it feels better real soon!)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one Don

The shield side is beautiful. Sorry about your back. That's a pretty important body part for relic hunting, so make sure you heal up a bit before heading back out. Good luck with the hunting and the weather ..... Bill

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Congrats on that beauty. :thumbsup:
You Sir are the Prince of Peroxide. ;D Amazing job on cleaning that old coin up. :hello2:
-Doug-

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Very nice coin there Don....I just have to wait until 36 inches of snow to melt...So i can get out ;D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Don, you must have several of those NJ coppers by now! HH, Mike

U

umrgolf

Wow Don, way to go.. You consistently find great stuff :notworthy: sitting in the London airport atm, if you keep posting this kind of stuff I might be heading home early :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions