Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got a flip video camera recently, and tried to do a little clip from the hammered silver site in case something nice was found. I need to get a hat mount so I can work hands-free and eliminate the herky-jerky motion, and also need to work or getting clear close-ups. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. So my apologies for the poor quality, but at least I was able to document the finds.

Upvote 0

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Bill-Very Nice

Couldnt imagine even diggine of those hammered coins
:notworthy:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is going to be a great Colonial adventure viewing your videos, Bill. That site is simply amazing. :headbang: Mr. Hume would definitely be in awe of your finds from this field. :notworthy:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :wave:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool Bill!! I can't understand why these are not on the banner? They may be fairly common in England, but they are rare as heck over here.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the total of finds that you've dug at this site?
Simply amazing that you are digging coins that old out here in the U.S.
And why is there no snow on the ground?
Carl

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
What's the total of finds that you've dug at this site?
Simply amazing that you are digging coins that old out here in the U.S.
And why is there no snow on the ground?
Carl

The total number of hammered coins from this one spot is now up to 25. All are British between 1563 and 1640 with the exception of a 1619 hammered Dutch coin found close to the 2 scattered cache areas. Spanish cut silver was also dug a little further away along with the usual colonial relics. Early trash pits were also found and dug, but not sifted. Might want to go back and do that later. As far as the snow, we get very little here in extreme SE Virginia although we did get 1-4" last nite throughout the area. But generally the winters here are relatively mild, and we can dig from Oct thru Apr without any problem. Where are you from Carl?

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Fantastic :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'm jealous of the finds and that detector :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

Great post :notworthy: nice Hammered, 20" is a incredible depth for a Hammered coin, concidering how thin they are, they don't give a good footprint in the ground, I have heard of the new XP nailing Big Roman at 18", so I was wondering what detector did you use, or did I miss it in the clip :dontknow:

SS

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Finding those hammereds has to be the best! :headbang: The only thing running shivers up my spine is the way you are rubbing those coins to clean them. Bring a little bottle of water and a soft cloth or toothbrush and you'll avoid scratching them. I say this only because you'll compromise a really good coin and scratch up an already had to read one. Since they are scarce enough to find here there is some real value in them as a historical object as well. Sorry about ranting some; just a real scary sound hearing that finger rubbing those coins.
Keep the pics and vids coming. Those are some mighty finds and site you have there!!!

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

Great post :notworthy: nice Hammered, 20" is a incredible depth for a Hammered coin, concidering how thin they are, they don't give a good footprint in the ground, I have heard of the new XP nailing Big Roman at 18", so I was wondering what detector did you use, or did I miss it in the clip :dontknow:

SS

He said he was using a Minelab GPX-4000.

And, amazing finds. I've seen your other ones and your posts are always inspiring.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CrazySlasher said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

He said he was using a Minelab GPX-4000.

And, amazing finds. I've seen your other ones and your posts are always inspiring.
Thanks...the GPx4000 getting some good reveiws here, I would only use on on a quiet site though, or a Hunted out site. Seems they could be more there for Bill to find :icon_thumleft:

SS

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoyed the video Bill,You have your self a sweet spot for all that silver. :hello2:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
DMN said:
Finding those hammereds has to be the best! :headbang: The only thing running shivers up my spine is the way you are rubbing those coins to clean them. Bring a little bottle of water and a soft cloth or toothbrush and you'll avoid scratching them. I say this only because you'll compromise a really good coin and scratch up an already had to read one. Since they are scarce enough to find here there is some real value in them as a historical object as well. Sorry about ranting some; just a real scary sound hearing that finger rubbing those coins.
Keep the pics and vids coming. Those are some mighty finds and site you have there!!!

couldn't agree more, like fingernails on a blackboard....brrrrrrr....

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You're absolutely right DMN

DMN said:

I couldn't help but notice myself the crunching sound which seemed to be amplified in the video. I'm usually pretty good about not doing that, but guess I was caught up in the moment and with doing the video and everything I was just off in another world. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and I'll try to do a little better next time.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You're absolutely right DMN

Bill D. (VA) said:
DMN said:

I couldn't help but notice myself the crunching sound which seemed to be amplified in the video. I'm usually pretty good about not doing that, but guess I was caught up in the moment and with doing the video and everything I was just off in another world. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and I'll try to do a little better next time.
Don't worry Bill I do it all the Time :laughing9: the only thing you have to worry about, when rubbing between fingers is snapping one, Tuder Silver coins are usually good Silver, not like early Hammerds that snap when you just look at them :laughing9:

SS

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds :icon_thumleft: there cant be anything older in this country then good ole Virginia , great video also , this year i am using a video camera to doc. all my finds of worthiness Keep looking :thumbsup: Jim :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You're absolutely right DMN

Silver Searcher said:
Bill D. (VA) said:
DMN said:

Don't worry Bill I do it all the Time :laughing9: the only thing you have to worry about, when rubbing between fingers is snapping one, Tuder Silver coins are usually good Silver, not like early Hammerds that snap when you just look at them :laughing9:

SS

I agree with SS, seems a good option for a quiet or hunted out site :icon_thumright:

For those in the UK, rubbing the odd hammered is not much of an issue (something most of us do, but I know you guys are much more careful), as it will hardly effect its price at all. But I normally help the operation with a bit of spit :wink: :D

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah. I'm seeing a GPX 5000 in my near future. I have so many sites that date back that far. Only a hop, skip and a jump from you really, Bill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread