27.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Just a guess......but it kinda looks like an older version of a ball catch for maybe a cabinet door....drill the top of the door the size of the metal object, insert, then install an indented catch on the cabinet.... cool,what ever it is! HH gregd573

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Looks like it might be a red glass reflector marble of the type used in older highway signs. Letters and numbers are outlined in the marbles, and each marble is backed by its own reflector. Today the marbles are usually mounted in plastic (as shown below) rather than metal cups like the one you found.

Attachments

• Reflectors.jpg
    Reflectors.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 368

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cool find. What does the bottom of that metal peice look like...did it screw into something? Alot of old furniture had marble "feet" .

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
PBK said:
Looks like it might be a red glass reflector marble of the type used in older highway signs. Letters and numbers are outlined in the marbles, and each marble is backed by its own reflector. Today the marbles are usually mounted in plastic (as shown below) rather than metal cups like the one you found.

Thank you for the information PBK, I would have never figured that out on my own. :) Cool!

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
gypsyheart said:
Cool find. What does the bottom of that metal peice look like...did it screw into something? Alot of old furniture had marble "feet" .

Gypse, the bottom looks like it just sits or fits into a recessed area; I don't see anything to indicate that it would screw into something. Here is a photo of the bottom.

Attachments

• 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 285

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure PBK is right? I think I know what it is. It is reflectors on signs. They hold the marbles in place. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Burdie ??? ???

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Burdie said:
Are you sure PBK is right? I think I know what it is. It is reflectors on signs. They hold the marbles in place. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Burdie ??? ???

You're a crazy little fox arn't you! ;D ;)

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Mona Lisa said:
Interesting find, Pennyworth. I was thinking the same thing as gypsy.

How big is it?

The diameter of the glass is about the size of a quarter, it's not very large.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Maybe this will help... Then again, maybe not. ;)

Attachments

• Refl.JPG
    Refl.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 229

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work PBK! Looks like it

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
PBK, has done it again! ;D That is definitely what I have. As soon as the swelling and pain in my hands go away I'm going back out to the area that I found that in and detect. I wonder what other goodies are out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions