This is why I Metal Detect

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am spending this winter - almost over :-( - on Edisto Island, SC about 40 miles southeast of Charleston, SC. There are LOTS of plantations on Edisto Island and the entire island was abandoned when the Union troops moved in to begin the siege on Charleston in 1861. So there is Union stuff all over the Island as well as British military artifacts from both the war of 1812 and the Revolutionary War. So most people go after that. I tend to be a bit more interested in the history of the Plantations that began with King's Land Grants in the 1700's and particularly the ones that are still owned by the family.

I have been lucky enough to get permission to hunt a handful of these very historic plantations and help the landowner better understand the who, what, when, and where of their family land. The Civil War occupation was just a small slice of the history of these family plantations.

I was hunting today on the largest family owned plantation on the Island. I have found musket balls, 3-ringers, flat buttons, a US arrow hook Buckle, an 1832 seated Liberty dime, etc. The find today was different.

I was detecting a small road they use for their Gators when they hunt deer and coons. It is in the middle of planted pines and the compacted dirt is nice to detect. Much better than the 8" of pine straw in the planted pines. I had traveled about 100 yards down the road and had dug a musket ball made into a sinker or seine weight, a Tombac button, a flat trouser button, and then I dug a somewhat "iffy" signal down about 10". The "iffy" signal turned out to be not so "iffy" and I cleaned it off an put it in my pocket - not my pouch.

I hunted my way to the Plantation house where I was to meet the owner so he could show me where some old buildings used to be and where the slave cabins were. He actually met me in his Gator on the road leading to the main house. I asked him when his Grandfather was born. He said right at the turn of the century. I asked him when his Great Grandfather was born. He said he was born right after the Civil war. I asked him if he farmed the plantation. He said he did farm the land with his father. I asked him if they grew Sea Island Cotton. He said they grew that particular kind of cotton from when the family returned to the island in 1865 until the bowl weevil did all the cotton crops in.

I knew where the story was going so I kept at it.

I said that it makes sense that his Great Great Grandfather may have been farming Sea Island Cotton with his son towards the end of the 1800's. He said that they were and that his Great Great Grandfather had traveled to Atlanta and entered some of the Plantation's Sea Island Cotton in the 1895 Cotton States and International Exposition held there and had won an award for it.

I said I know. He looked at me and asked me how I knew.

I put the "Iffy" signal in his hand. He was speechless.

It was priceless.

This is why I metal detect.

Daryl

Attachments

• Lighter.jpg
    Lighter.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,973
Upvote 1

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really good story and deed :icon_thumright: Well done :hello2:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Think this deserves to be in the Honorable mention section If not the banner also Chug!!! and Red

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. I'm thinking banner!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was a really great thing you did BioProf! :notworthy:
I would've loved to have seen the look on his face when you handed him that piece! :icon_thumright: Priceless I bet!

Definitely Honorable Mention worthy! :hello2:

Dave

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, good deed, and I'd say you have a lifetime hunting pass there. Congrats and happy hunting, Quindy.

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This is why I Metal Detect - Awesome

Way to go. That was a great find and a nice gesture. You made all of us look good with that return.

Don
HH

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and I agree that this is what makes this hobby worthwhile. I think this certainly qualifies as an Honorable Mention.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what an honor to read your post. You Are the Best of the Best. I always say, anytime you can give back, only helps our Hobby. I would say, you have a lifetime place to hunt, I am sure the word will get out on that island and you will always be welcomed to hunt anyplace you like.

I have voted for you for the Banner and you are definitely a Honorable mention man!!

Again, Congratulations on a Fantastic find and story. Thanks for posting your find and story.

HH, Ringfinder

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abolutely too cool! No doubt an Honorable Mention. I wish you could have caught his expression in a pic when you handed it to him!! Is the top portion broken? Do you know the material?

tornadolady

Jan 19, 2009
Southeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
:hello2:
Many congrats Daryl .I bet it was wonderful seeing the look on the guys face when you gave it to him.
Glad to see you are finding places to hunt there, and finding it so rewarding. :thumbsup:
take care . I think it is Banner Time. :thumbsup:

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
Wow !!!! Great story and great find !!!! That was mighty nice of you sir !!!! I also am voting Honorable Mention and BANNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congradulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions