Guess what I found at the park yesterday???

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Zip. Nada. Nothing.

I've been watching this forum with all these old coins and silvers coming out of these old parks, so I decided to give a large, old, local park a try. I hunted for 2 hours and did not find one single coin--not even clad?! I did find 6 junk items. I tried in the grass, the worn areas, dirt edges, outside edges, corners, path edges, on trails in the woods, in the bushes in the woods, I even crawled like a dog under a holly bush thicket! Holly bushes! I did find 3 of the 6 garbage items under the holly bushes, but still no coins at all.

I am not a newbie. I know my detector and detecting in general. In fact I think I'm pretty good at it.

But that park was CLEAN. Silent hunting. This was a very weird experience for me--I'm used to hearing blippity bloppity bloop blip blip blip--and then trying to sort out the bloops from the blippity bloppities and blips.

Here is a picture of all the coins I found:

Upvote 0

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so you didnt get to make your face. to bad :D maybe next time

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get days like that.
Holly bushes... now that's dedication. There has to be at least a rusty nail in there somewhere!

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! Nice pic! That is wierd...when I get no sounds for a while I always check to make sure my DX-1 switch is in the "coil" position...I've wasted some time when I forgot to switch it back from "probe"...Doh! Sometimes I'll even throw a target in front of the unit to make sure the thing is working.

HH!
TBGO

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the picture. Its very clear. ;D
I have days like that too, and with the price of gas, I can spend 10 or 20 dollars driving around and not even get out of the car. Oh well, hang in there. It can't get any worse. At least you got out.
HH.

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Great Pic !!!

The depth and detail of the photos of the items you didn't find is amazing.
Have you considered going into photography full time ? I am sure there are companies that would pay you for your freelance pics !!! LOL

But all seriousness aside that would be an eerie place !!

Mike in SC

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I spent a long time editing that picture.

During the hunt I did end up cranking down the discrimination and amping up the sensitivity, but obviously it didn't make much difference.  I was in that park years ago with similar results, but all these park posts lately got me to thinking I should try again.

I did get one really good sounding signal down under a big root, but I gave up trying to get it out of there.  I might go back with a vibra probe I just ordered and get that signal out.  It was pretty 'silvery' sounding.

There are two more huge parks that I haven't ventured into yet.  I've always been able to do pretty good finding stuff in old lots, construction sites, strips, and a variety of other odd spots I find....but you never know....I might try the parks again.  One of the big parks is the largest urban wilderness park in the nation--just not that old:

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?action=ViewPark&PropertyID=127

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi mlw

Well, at least you have a great sense of humor,
your post certainly made me smile.
I hope that you have some better luck soon,
the heck with that park, go elsewhere and forget obout it.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks BDoo. ;D

I also found a lot of mosquitos in that park. One mosquito with a particularly warped sense of humor took advantage of my plumber-pants problem. Very funny, little bug. (%$#@!)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If those other two parks you mentioned are as good as the first one, you should be able to find twice as much.
Good luck! :D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turn on your detector, mlw. It always helps. ;)

I also found a lot of mosquitos in that park. One mosquito with a particularly warped sense of humor took advantage of my plumber-pants problem. Very funny, little bug. (%$#@!)

How could a nice little old lady like you have plumber's butt? :o ::)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
LOL BK, you are so right. I'd better get over there right away!

Heheheh Mona, you're gonna confoosle everyone. But its still funny.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW....WTG!!! I think you hit the jackpot!! ;) I've been fortunate to have been just as lucky!!

Oh those Skeeters.....they have to stick their pesky nose into everyone's business...why don't they go get their own detector!!!!

Eric in WV

May 5, 2006
Renick, WV
I know your frustration. I have permission to hunt a pre-CW site which is on private property and supposedly not ever been hunted before. I had great expectations and all I have found so far is a couple of door knobs and a tons of square nails after 5 trips. It's the site of a resort hotel that was burned down by union forces in 1865. ??? Oh well - keep plugging away. It can only get better - right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread