Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

The "Tennessee Trio" (named by Modern Miner) of Dman, Josh, and I hit the fields at two different CSA Cavalry camps during Wednesday and today. Our combined finds from both hunts are shown in the first pic. Josh was the "Button Boy" on Wednesday with the Eagle "I' button and the other unknown button. Now, all 3 members of the Trio have dug a coat size Eagle "I" button at one of the CSA Cavalry Camps. Unfortunately, Dman's was the only one with full gold gilt and we have had to listen to that-LOL. The other button in the second pic is an iron button with straight iron shank on the back but has a brass border with a design motif on it. We welcome any guesses. It was in the same hole with the pocket knife and over 30 pieces of campfire lead and dropped round balls. We believe the Confederates were molding bullets there. Josh found the broken gun hammer also.
There are 14 types of bullets carried by Confederate Soldiers represented by our finds in these two CSA Cavalry Camps. They are:
Buck 'n Balls, .31, .36, .44, and .69 Cal. Round Balls
Old pattern & New Army .44 Conical Colt pistol Bullets
Burnside Carbine, Gardner .577 cal., .577 Cal. Enfield, .54, .58, & .69 cal. 3 Ring CSA Bullets
A VERY RARE .38 cal. Multi-Groove Sharps bullet.
Dman was the "Bullet Master" today with 11 total. He whined all morning about not finding many and then laughed at us when we emptied our bags for the picture. We found over 40 horseshoes or horseshoe pieces and lots of iron square nails and campfire lead.
The last pic is of the .38 Cal. "Baby Multi-Groove Sharps" Bullet. I dug it and I immediately knew it was very different from what we find but I had never seen one. The closest match in the bullet book was M & M #193 but this was a smaller caliber. A call to some local relic dealers revealed it was for a prewar Sharps sporting rifle. That bullet shows up in Arkansas and Missouri but rarely in middle Tennessee. It will be pictured in an upcoming issue of North South Trader's Civil War Magazine. One veteran relic hunter (also a dealer) has dug well over 100,000 CW bullets in his long 40+ year hunting career and said that he's only found 3 or 4 like mine and always in CSA Cavalry Camps. It's the Gomez and Mills Patent Bullet for you bullet enthusiasts. Happy Hunting from the Tennessee Trio, Quindy.

Attachments

• 2 CSA Camps 2-16 & 18 2011.jpg
    2 CSA Camps 2-16 & 18 2011.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 873
  • Josh\'s Eagle I and  Unknown button.jpg
    Josh\'s Eagle I and Unknown button.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 796
  • Sharps .38cal db (640x640).jpg
    Sharps .38cal db (640x640).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 786
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

VERY cool relics!!!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

That was a lot of fun today. I can't wait to get back and hunt the other side of the camp.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tennessee Trio, is a force to be reckoned with .. :icon_scratch: Hell yeah , thats some serious CW lead and relic digging , :o :o :headbang: :icon_thumleft: CONGRATS !! ;D dawg

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"There are 14 types of bullets carried by Confederate Soldiers represented by our finds in these two CSA Cavalry Camps."

Q-
That is amazing! :o We found four different varieties last weekend and I thought that was a lot. :laughing7:
That bullet you found is amazing. Looking forward to seeing it in NSTCW. :thumbsup: Was that the same Gomez on The Adam's Family? :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

Sounds like Dman is back to his usual self. Way to go guys! :hello2:

-Dug-

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds Quindy. You guys are tearing it up over there. Congrats on all the great finds y'all are recovering.

Coin Stalker

Jan 12, 2011
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Max, Tesoro Compadre

Wow talk about some great finds... :headbang: :headbang:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You all are tearing it up Quindy.I had a day like that once toward's Harpers Ferry when we found 11 different type's.Are you sure that multi ring isn't a .36 instead of a .38 ? They made them in .36,.46,and .56 .Congratulation's on a rare bullet just the same :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

civilman1 said:
You all are tearing it up Quindy.I had a day like that once toward's Harpers Ferry when we found 11 different type's.Are you sure that multi ring isn't a .36 instead of a .38 ? They made them in .36,.46,and .56 .Congratulation's on a rare bullet just the same :thumbsup:
Thanks Joe. The attached info. in "Civil War Projectiles" describes it as "approx. 36 cal.". My bullet measured .395 in. dia. by .695 in. long. with my cheapo and worn out dial calipers-LOL. HH today, Quindy.
http://thomaspublications.com/civilwarprojectiles/articles/gomez-mills.htm

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very Nice finds Guys, glad to see the three of you back in action.

Bill

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

THE TENN. TRIO IS ON FIRE.. :notworthy: :notworthy:

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

VOL1266-X said:
The other button in the second pic is an iron button with straight iron shank on the back but has a brass border with a design motif on it. We welcome any guesses.
I wonder if it had a little tintype picture in the center at one time?

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

that is a super find Quindy. you are tearing Dman up lol. keep up the good work.

p-cap

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009

Nice digging Tennessee boys, you guys are saving some great relics,, keep it coming but save some for me I might make it back up one day :icon_pirat:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wooohoo!! :notworthy: I'm watching and learning! :icon_pirat: You all had a great day of hunting!! Sounds like Burt is moving right along on the recovery. :icon_thumright: Way to go, ya'll!!

N~

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks Jimmy. HH.

No wqonder you want to go back Dman-you are a bullet magnet there. We'll be back next week. Q.

Dawg, the F75s are the key. These sites are not new and have been hunted for years. A little luck and patience helps a lot too. Good hunting to you Bud, Quindy.

Thanks MM. We've been on a roll. I don't think the patent holder "Gomez" was on the "Addams Family". His cousin was Herman Munster-LOL. HH, Q.

Randy, we have hunted these before and they keep producing. The Sharps pistol bullet came from the same field where I took P-Cap hunting last week. HH in East Tenn., Quindy.

Thanks CS and luck to you. Q.

We appreciate it Bill. Dman hunted about 5 hours in total with a lunch break yesterday and held up well. Funny, it doesn't bother him when he's digging relics-LOL.Good luck in KY, Quindy.

Thanks for looking Spitfire.

I don't know about "on fire" Bill but we have enjoyed good luck this year. Thanks, Quindy.

Coinmaster, that's one of our guesses too along with a stone of some sort as the brass could have used as a setting. Thanks.

Thanks Don. He's back to aggravating us to death again so all is normal. Quindy.

Thanks Greg. We have just begun to hunt there. You walked withiun 10 feet of that Sharps bullet when you made the first round in that field with your F75 this week. HH, Quindy.

Nana, his shoulder hurts today so we took a break for the weekend. He says that it hurts after therapy anway so why not dig relics. HH, Q.

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac

Man you all had a great day Quindy, thats an impressive assortmant of lead, and great rare find, you guys are on it!!!! Keep digging some great confederate relics!!
Guy

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions