how do I?

• a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
hey. I'm new to this whole hobby but have got the fever bad :). I'm currently staying in Belguim (though I live in South Africa). Anyway on to my question today I found an 1880 Leopold II centiemen. I have no idea how to clean it and am afraid of damaging it. I do not even know wat metal it is made of. Excuse my ignorance. Any help would b greatly apreciated.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it in some olive oil. It will take awhile (days) but you wont hurt it and it should come out nice

OP
OP
R

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
Thanks alot its soaking away as I type will scan it when it is nice and clean :)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No prob 8)

Whatever you do, don't scrub it with a toothbrush to clean it faster.

If it's valuable or rare the scrubbing will put fine scratches on it and reduce the value sharply.

Let it soak no matter how long it takes and remember some coins might not ever get to be perfectly clean. Thats the price for being in the soil soooooo long.

Also, if you ever sell it to a coin collector/dealer do not admit to digging it or cleaning it ever! Play dumb and insist it's the same as when you recieved it from your great grandfather or whoever person you make up that gave it to you. Hopefully you will get top price for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread