Cannonball Run Part 2...and 3!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the hunt started out awful but ended well! It rained all day yesterday but after midnight it turned freezing and snowed...very messy. Despite this I decided to go back to the beach where I found the cannonball earlier this week and give it another shot. When I got to the site i parked at a service station and asked the owner for permission to leave my car there...no problem. I got about 50 yards from the car before I realized that i locked my keys in the car!!! I figured that there was nothing I could do about it now so I might as well do my detecting and worry about it later. Just before the beach is a patch of marsh mud which usually isn't a problem. I got halfway across the marsh mud when I stepped into a hole which went over my boot...now i'm in a little trouble. My foot is wet and my keys are locked in the car...and it's about -25 Celsius with the windchill. Luckily I wore two pairs of socks so I carefully took off the wet socks and put on one of the dry socks from my dry boot. I also had a plastic bag in my pocket so I wrapped that around my foot before putting it back into the wet boot. Feeling rather proud of my preparedness I started walking again...and didn't get three feet before my other foot went into another water filled hole!!! Now I'm in trouble. Soaking foot, keys locked in the car and the spare set 25 miles away. Long story short, i called the wife and asked her to call a friend to run me out the spare set along with socks and boots. 45 minutes later and I was finally detecting!

As you can see, the hardship was worth the effort. I found a section of beach that was just littered with lead! I still love digging lead so I spent about 20 minutes here before setting out in search of another cannonball. I found the smaller one first...I think it's a 6 pounder but I haven't weighed it yet. 30 minutes later and i had the larger 12 pounder! That's my second 12 from this site.

Yesterday I posted some lead and stated that I was happy that i didn't find a cannonball because where's the fun if the site is littered with them...well today I can tell you that it is still very fun!!! Now i've got bookends and one for my desk at work!!!

Patriot, I'm catching up!!

Attachments

• 26 February 2011 002.jpg
    26 February 2011 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 931
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Your sure catching up with a bang romeo...at that rate you'll have me and IP whipped in that department...with all the snow we've been getting I'll be out in July :-\ Keep them coming!!! love seeing those suckers come out.... :notworthy:

Shut up! He said he is waiting for Spring! read above. ;D

LOL....missed that... it would be a hard one to keep off considering the potenial there...then again for him spring is usually early so me and you may have to go down!!!

Plenty of snow here too. My snow blower path to the back yard is getting to be more like a tunnel.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a site! A known battlesite and three cannonballs! More to come. I could dig cannonballs all day long. Even when we dig artillery shells here it is a good feeling, though it is a little dangerous sometimes.... Its too far from me to come over for a hunt :tongue3: Enjoy this place!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Your sure catching up with a bang romeo...at that rate you'll have me and IP whipped in that department...with all the snow we've been getting I'll be out in July :-\ Keep them coming!!! love seeing those suckers come out.... :notworthy:

LOL....missed that... it would be a hard one to keep off considering the potenial there...then again for him spring is usually early so me and you may have to go down!!!

Plenty of snow here too. My snow blower path to the back yard is getting to be more like a tunnel.

same here...but I bet your coffee trail to tim horton's is packed down

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

same here...but I bet your coffee trail to tim horton's is packed down

Yes, but by others, I'm still drinking home brew!

oh, I did see your last message and just let me know when you are here.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

Come on down!

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Your well on your way to a fantastic year for cannon balls, and your lead finds are fantasic. The 4 pounder looks to be in pretty decent shape........any markings visible? I'll be keeping a close eye on the local river levels this spring. They are very low now, and by spring I might be able to detect a few spots along the river that may produce a few cannon balls.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HomesteadHunter said:
Your well on your way to a fantastic year for cannon balls, and your lead finds are fantasic. The 4 pounder looks to be in pretty decent shape........any markings visible? I'll be keeping a close eye on the local river levels this spring. They are very low now, and by spring I might be able to detect a few spots along the river that may produce a few cannon balls.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

No markings on the 4 pounder except for a nice sprue mark and seam.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Bet you had a workout bring them back. Congratulations.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger54 said:

That's funny because after I found the second one I kept detecting but I was half hoping to not find another today as I would have had a hard time getting them out. I carried the 4 pounder in my pocket and the 12 pounder in the hood of my jacket...while I was wearing the jacket.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Digger54 said:

That's funny because after I found the second one I kept detecting but I was half hoping to not find another today as I would have had a hard time getting them out. I carried the 4 pounder in my pocket and the 12 pounder in the hood of my jacket...while I was wearing the jacket.

Maybe that's just the way it goes for those things. The day I dug mine was the same day I put my back out picking up my shovel when getting ready to leave. It's the only day I have ever hurt my back! Even though I couldn't walk perfectly up straight, my answer to the Cladman asking me if I still wanted to go was hell yeah. The other funny thing is the two of us would usually strike out and on the way to the area we had picked I made the comment.... why can't it be like when some of the guests are here, we don't expect much, then bang! 15 minutes later we went in a field that I had actually been back stabbed on, went to the corner where my gut told me to go.... and bang. ;D That was a weird day all around and digging a French cannon ball is something I'll probably never do again.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I'll get in on a hunt later in the year to go and dig up cannonballs, it doesn't seem that the looking part is difficult anymore, you're on the spot! There will be some great finds coming out of Romeotopia in 2011, I hope to be there for some of the good ones!

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
sounds chilly, but those cannon balls would make me forget all about the cold. Congrats on your finds.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great balls ...congrats ! :thumbsup:
H

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't bring cannonballs home, we never do so we don't have to worry 'bout all the weight. We just never seen the need to bother. IP, slap me.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
AFTER HEARING about how your day started with the sink holes i dont know if i would of put a cannon ball in your hood. what if you hit another one? i could just see hitting another one and knocking yourself out from the cannonball hitting your head. :o but what a great day it turned out to be. congrats. willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread