Cannonball Run Part 2...and 3!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the hunt started out awful but ended well! It rained all day yesterday but after midnight it turned freezing and snowed...very messy. Despite this I decided to go back to the beach where I found the cannonball earlier this week and give it another shot. When I got to the site i parked at a service station and asked the owner for permission to leave my car there...no problem. I got about 50 yards from the car before I realized that i locked my keys in the car!!! I figured that there was nothing I could do about it now so I might as well do my detecting and worry about it later. Just before the beach is a patch of marsh mud which usually isn't a problem. I got halfway across the marsh mud when I stepped into a hole which went over my boot...now i'm in a little trouble. My foot is wet and my keys are locked in the car...and it's about -25 Celsius with the windchill. Luckily I wore two pairs of socks so I carefully took off the wet socks and put on one of the dry socks from my dry boot. I also had a plastic bag in my pocket so I wrapped that around my foot before putting it back into the wet boot. Feeling rather proud of my preparedness I started walking again...and didn't get three feet before my other foot went into another water filled hole!!! Now I'm in trouble. Soaking foot, keys locked in the car and the spare set 25 miles away. Long story short, i called the wife and asked her to call a friend to run me out the spare set along with socks and boots. 45 minutes later and I was finally detecting!

As you can see, the hardship was worth the effort. I found a section of beach that was just littered with lead! I still love digging lead so I spent about 20 minutes here before setting out in search of another cannonball. I found the smaller one first...I think it's a 6 pounder but I haven't weighed it yet. 30 minutes later and i had the larger 12 pounder! That's my second 12 from this site.

Yesterday I posted some lead and stated that I was happy that i didn't find a cannonball because where's the fun if the site is littered with them...well today I can tell you that it is still very fun!!! Now i've got bookends and one for my desk at work!!!

Patriot, I'm catching up!!

Attachments

• 26 February 2011 002.jpg
    26 February 2011 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 931
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You are starting to accumulate a nice collection of cannonballs and I have a feeling your not done yet!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Wow! You are starting to accumulate a nice collection of cannonballs and I have a feeling your not done yet!

Not done by a long shot...but I'm going to keep off this beach until this spring and offer it up to some visiting fellow detectorists! Any takers?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very expected! And a day you will never forget... but there ain't no way that's a 6 and 12. If that's a 6, I bet you have a 18!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, that looks huge, get it on the scale. Are you sure it's the same size as your first one?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Steve in PA said:

Not done by a long shot...but I'm going to keep off this beach until this spring and offer it up to some visiting fellow detectorists! Any takers?

I think you might get a few on that. :laughing7:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Dude, that looks huge, get it on the scale. Are you sure it's the same size as your first one?

Yeah, as soon as Little Romeo-1 wakes up I'll throw them on the scale...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

Yeah, as soon as Little Romeo-1 wakes up I'll throw them on the scale...

What I like about those is you know the history. I can only make a connection for two of mine, the others just misc. house sites. That's the main reason I would want to dig one from there... because it has a great story to go with it

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say your small one is a 4 pounder, but the big one sure looks bigger than 12.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I'd say your small one is a 4 pounder, but the big one sure looks bigger than 12.

A four pounder would make sense...confirmation coming soon...

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With a spot like that,who would've thunk :thumbsup:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Small one is indeed a 4 pounder...big ones are 12, both the same.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice lead shot and cannonball finds romeo-1! :notworthy:
Watch out for the dreaded trench-foot though! :laughing7:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! :thumbsup: I cant wait to find one of them, I hope this spring going to a civil war fort, but wish I could dig one there since it was a battle. Congrats on finding a great place to hunt and your great finds. HH!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

Small one is indeed a 4 pounder...big ones are 12, both the same.

Just a picture then. Doesn't matter, still a pretty good week going from zero to three.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your sure catching up with a bang romeo...at that rate you'll have me and IP whipped in that department...with all the snow we've been getting I'll be out in July :-\ Keep them coming!!! love seeing those suckers come out.... :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Your sure catching up with a bang romeo...at that rate you'll have me and IP whipped in that department...with all the snow we've been getting I'll be out in July :-\ Keep them coming!!! love seeing those suckers come out.... :notworthy:

Shut up! He said he is waiting for Spring! read above. ;D

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The Patriot said:

Shut up! He said he is waiting for Spring! read above. ;D

LOL....missed that... it would be a hard one to keep off considering the potenial there...then again for him spring is usually early so me and you may have to go down!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread