Found this quartz arrowhead while digging a target

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting an 200 year old house today and my detector was picking up some metal and while digging around 6-8" down I saw this white quartz arrowhead along with some square nails come out of the dirt. I wonder if the arrowhead was there before the house was built or used by Indians visiting the owners? It was found between their parking lot and the house.

Attachments

• IMG_3724s.JPG
    IMG_3724s.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 8,225
Upvote 14

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! :o That's a real beauty!
Aren't quartz arrowheads pretty rare? :icon_scratch:
I would think that being made of quartz they wouldn't be very durable? :dontknow:

Dave

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,they are rare,and usually affiliated with ceremonial purposes,burials etc.They are also a bear to knap!!!

OP
OP
n3tuf

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by a collector that quartz arrowheads were used for warfare because they would retain dirt in them and the enemy would die from infection.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
n3tuf said:
I was told by a collector that quartz arrowheads were used for warfare because they would retain dirt in them and the enemy would die from infection.

Nonsense, some people just make up thier own "facts". ::)

Quartz, is used because it is easy to knap and it's plentiful. Quartz arrowheads are very common.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz is predominate in the southeast because it is abundant. I grew up in the west and flint is predominate, you will have a hard time finding one or the other out of the area they are in. So the Indians used what was available. Some had an artistic flair though as I have found arrowheads made of moss agate and obsidian, they appreciated the beauty of the stone.
I have found,, in my own opinion, that the very things that old homesteaders looked for were what ancient Indians looked for, and If a site is old I may find old coins and old arrowheads. SSOO cool, nice finds :icon_thumright:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willoughby said:
n3tuf said:

Nonsense, some people just make up thier own "facts". ::)

Quartz, is used because it is easy to knap and it's plentiful. Quartz arrowheads are very common.

I wholeheartedly disagree with both of you.I have been collecting arrowheads for over 35 years,have been knapping them for over 20,and live on the Mother lode so Quartz is plentiful here,and will tell you from experience it is one of the hardest stones there is to chip,and at least out here they are extremely RARE,show me a bunch if they are so common!!

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Kuger!! I didn't want to say it.

I've found many points in California, flint, obsidian, even jasper and opal, but with the abundence of quartz here, I've never seen a quartz arrowhead. Quartz is #9 on the mohs scale. I've tried shaping it, but due to its inconsistant grain, I've found it impossible for me to do. Of course, there are knappers who are much better than I am. So, I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just not likely it has been done on a large scale.

Eagle

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet Eagle,fact is fact.....and as seen above some DO make up there own fantasies and try and pass them for truth.I have been around a while :thumbsup:

Also out of the several THOUSAND arrowheads I have(many generations of "pickers",I do have a handful,and have worked with tribes on archi digs on burial grounds and that is the only place they regularly show.One such dig produced a 9 inch quartz spear blade that was pointed on both ends,one of the most magnificent pieces I have ever seen,and it was reburied with the rest of the items rightfully so.

I also have read miners journal accounts of the Indians tossing quartz arrowheads(the only ones they had ever seen!!) into the fires(the Indians here often burned there deceased)

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome double score It would have made my day HH :icon_thumright:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not knapp, I am happy to see that some still do, quartz may be rare in Cali, not on the east coast.
So how many is a bunch?, By my estimations I have a bunch, they are everywhere, finding them here has more to do with not being able to see the ground. And, I am sure you will agree, training yourself to see them.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:
I do not knapp, I am happy to see that some still do, quartz may be rare in Cali, not on the east coast.
So how many is a bunch?, By my estimations I have a bunch, they are everywhere, finding them here has more to do with not being able to see the ground. And, I am sure you will agree, training yourself to see them.

I dont think I was clear,therefore you didnt understand,quartz is not rare here.I live on the Mother Lode Vein Gold country California,I do not know of any other parts of the U.S. that has quartz like we do here.Show me ten!then go get a piece of quartz and a deer antler and try to chip it into even the shape of an arrowhead....tell me how EASY it is!

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Dave44 said:

I dont think I was clear,therefore you didnt understand,quartz is not rare here.I live on the Mother Lode Vein Gold country California,I do not know of any other parts of the U.S. that has quartz like we do here.Show me ten!then go get a piece of quartz and a deer antler and try to chip it into even the shape of an arrowhead....tell me how EASY it is!
:icon_thumleft:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well fellas, I do not think I was clear, it is not rare here either, here is your 10 broken ones, plus a couple. Another thread here has many of them. And believe me, I know this must be abear to work, it is so brittle.

Attachments

• quartz arrowheads 001.JPG
    quartz arrowheads 001.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,598

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!!I am impressed....alll of those arent quartz though :thumbsup:

I will re word then to what states I have hunted and speak of......they are rare west of the Missis.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old times, arrowheads were commonly licked up as curiosities, but had no value so they ended up getting thrown out.

This could explain the find.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right kuger, not all are. It is fun to find them though,, durn I would love to find a flint, agate, or obsidian out here!!!! I miss them so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread