Found this quartz arrowhead while digging a target
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Found this quartz arrowhead while digging a target

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2008
    Glen Mills,PA
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
    82 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Found this quartz arrowhead while digging a target

I was hunting an 200 year old house today and my detector was picking up some metal and while digging around 6-8" down I saw this white quartz arrowhead along with some square nails come out of the dirt. I wonder if the arrowhead was there before the house was built or used by Indians visiting the owners? It was found between their parking lot and the house.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3724s.JPG 
Views:	7438 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	503315  

us
    Dec 2006
    Ocean City, Md
    XP Deus. Have Blisstool V6 but only used once.
    1570 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Re: Found this quartz arrowhead while digging a target

nice bonus!

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 5.2 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    6983 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow! That's a real beauty!
    Aren't quartz arrowheads pretty rare?
    I would think that being made of quartz they wouldn't be very durable?

Dave
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Yes,they are rare,and usually affiliated with ceremonial purposes,burials etc.They are also a bear to knap!!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    Mar 2008
    Glen Mills,PA
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
    82 times

I was told by a collector that quartz arrowheads were used for warfare because they would retain dirt in them and the enemy would die from infection.

us
    North Carolina

Jun 2009
    Currently Pilfered!
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by n3tuf
    I was told by a collector that quartz arrowheads were used for warfare because they would retain dirt in them and the enemy would die from infection.
    Nonsense, some people just make up thier own "facts".

Quartz, is used because it is easy to knap and it's plentiful. Quartz arrowheads are very common.
    Formerly Known As Cap'n Crunch

Congratulations to the Winner!

Jan 2010
    New Castle NH.
    Brain eyes ears and nose
    646 times
    Working to end Western Dominator Society, Scourge of the Modern World
    Banner Finds (6)

Nice Find
    Still looking for my first Point
    No pix of the nails?
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2221 times

Quartz is predominate in the southeast because it is abundant. I grew up in the west and flint is predominate, you will have a hard time finding one or the other out of the area they are in. So the Indians used what was available. Some had an artistic flair though as I have found arrowheads made of moss agate and obsidian, they appreciated the beauty of the stone.
    I have found,, in my own opinion, that the very things that old homesteaders looked for were what ancient Indians looked for, and If a site is old I may find old coins and old arrowheads. SSOO cool, nice finds
    rickb2202 likes this.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby
    Quote Originally Posted by n3tuf
    Nonsense, some people just make up thier own "facts".

Quartz, is used because it is easy to knap and it's plentiful. Quartz arrowheads are very common.

I wholeheartedly disagree with both of you.I have been collecting arrowheads for over 35 years,have been knapping them for over 20,and live on the Mother lode so Quartz is plentiful here,and will tell you from experience it is one of the hardest stones there is to chip,and at least out here they are extremely RARE,show me a bunch if they are so common!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    ???

Jul 2008
    Henderson, Nv
    White's DFX, Beach Surfer
    17 times

There must be more points in that area.
    Just moved to Birmingham from Los Angeles. Arrived here Sept. 2010.

us
    Medicine/Holy Man

May 2010
    California
    Whites MXT, Whites TDI
    593 times

Thank you Kuger!! I didn't want to say it.

I've found many points in California, flint, obsidian, even jasper and opal, but with the abundence of quartz here, I've never seen a quartz arrowhead. Quartz is #9 on the mohs scale. I've tried shaping it, but due to its inconsistant grain, I've found it impossible for me to do. Of course, there are knappers who are much better than I am. So, I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just not likely it has been done on a large scale.

Eagle

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)

You bet Eagle,fact is fact.....and as seen above some DO make up there own fantasies and try and pass them for truth.I have been around a while

Also out of the several THOUSAND arrowheads I have(many generations of "pickers",I do have a handful,and have worked with tribes on archi digs on burial grounds and that is the only place they regularly show.One such dig produced a 9 inch quartz spear blade that was pointed on both ends,one of the most magnificent pieces I have ever seen,and it was reburied with the rest of the items rightfully so.

I also have read miners journal accounts of the Indians tossing quartz arrowheads(the only ones they had ever seen!!) into the fires(the Indians here often burned there deceased)
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    When you get Tired of the every day grind you turn to a place an time to slow down. Gold prospecting a way of life...

Oct 2010
    Alabama/ Ohio
    GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
    91 times

awsome double score It would have made my day HH

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2221 times

I do not knapp, I am happy to see that some still do, quartz may be rare in Cali, not on the east coast.
    So how many is a bunch?, By my estimations I have a bunch, they are everywhere, finding them here has more to do with not being able to see the ground. And, I am sure you will agree, training yourself to see them.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave44
    I do not knapp, I am happy to see that some still do, quartz may be rare in Cali, not on the east coast.
    So how many is a bunch?, By my estimations I have a bunch, they are everywhere, finding them here has more to do with not being able to see the ground. And, I am sure you will agree, training yourself to see them.
    I dont think I was clear,therefore you didnt understand,quartz is not rare here.I live on the Mother Lode Vein Gold country California,I do not know of any other parts of the U.S. that has quartz like we do here.Show me ten!then go get a piece of quartz and a deer antler and try to chip it into even the shape of an arrowhead....tell me how EASY it is!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links