Confederate Texas Militia Belt Plate

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010
Had to go to Olathe to do an errand for my wife yesterday. Decided to stop by an antique store to kill some time. At the third display, I noticed a star buckle on a belt in two pieces. It still had the keeper and the adjuster hook. Had to go out and sit in the car after paying only $39. It is a Confederate Texas militia plate. Kerksis' book give is a rarity of 9 on a scale of 10. Belt shows heavy wear and most of it is still there.

I still can't believe it!

Here's a photo:
http://img855.imageshack.us/i/texasbuckle2.jpg/

Upvote 1

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to be honest with you....That almost sounds too good to be true.
I'm very skeptical about it's authenticity.
Show us the back please.

Attachments

• texasbuckle2.jpg
    texasbuckle2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,156
S

stefen

Good find regardless of the source....

Here is a TN find from several years ago...the buckle is similar and possibly attributed to Texas or Mississippi...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=186456

Now sit down....and make sure that you have on fresh chonies :laughing7:

The one shown in the older post possibly has a 4 figure value...

And yes, make sure that this is an original and not a copy before you have illusions of grandeur (big dollar signs)...

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a fine line between an antique shop and a pawn shop. Believe me, they know what they take in inventory and a approximate values of their items. For 39.00 it's still a cool display item though.

OP
OP
C

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

Believe me I had a hard time believing it was authentic. But after looking it over and using the measurements from the Kerksis book, I am somewhat certain its the real McCoy. However, I'm going to get it authenticated by some experts.

Even if it does turn out to be a repro...it's a really good one that I can display with my relics. I will post a pic of the back of it later today.

Thanks again.
By the way, dug examples can be seen at http://www.itthc.com -- look under "Outstanding Past Finds."

Tobias

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
I must admit I know nothing of US civil war stuff. I am also very aware that something that seems to good to be true, is just that 99.99% of the time.

However, I would just like to post this link to an identical belt plate coming up for auction at James D. Julia:
http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=41415&sale=303

I have spent some time comparing the two, and I must say that they seem to be struck from the same die. There are just too many minute details that correspond. Of course, the one at JDJ might also be modern. At the very least, I think it might be a good idea to have an expert look at it, and I hope it turns out to be one of the 0.01%.

OP
OP
C

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010
Thanks! And thanks for the link. I will post as soon as I get it authenticated.

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did the label read in the antique store? Was the buckle mis-identified or did the label reference Texas militia/Confederate/etc? If the seller knew enough to identify it, he/she would have likely known enough to correctly price it.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
If that's a fake, it's a rather old and convincing one. I hope it turns out to be the real McCoy!

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this buckle Civil War/Confederate to begin with? Not documented in Mullinax's book. Does Kerksis identify it as CW?

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow looks real, and on it's belt! If real, being on the belt will make it alot more valuable. At 39.00, you may have made the buy of the century. I hope it's real. HH

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
I can vouch for Steve(Civilwarren)'s prior experience with relics. He's got a pretty solid stance on this one from reference books other than the normal variety as well. We've been looking at it for a couple days now elsewhere, and so far there's been a pretty high consensus that it's the real deal from several people entrenched in the relic business.

Steve also just has that kind of antique store luck as well, he has several really nice things that aren't common that all came from antique stores or flea markets.

On top of that, I can tell you with 100% certainty that he isn't here to make the banner, he's here to share an amazing once in a lifetime relic find with people who enjoy relics for their history.

Nice find Steve, keep up the good work!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this when you posted it on FB, Steve. What a find!!! :o Going to look great in your display! :icon_thumright:

Welcome to Tnet~ Nana :hello:

OP
OP
C

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010
Re: Belt Plate May Be Pre-Civil War. Listed Both in Kerksis and Mullinax's books

Heard Tuesday from noted relic hunter Bobby McKinney in Texas. He told me the latest research shows that these are most likely pre-civil war belt plates that may date from the late Texas Republic period to early Texas statehood.

Also some of these plates have been dug in Oklahoma at a couple of early Civil War battle sites (Indian Territory - 1861) involving Texas troops. They can be seen on the Indian Territory Treasure Hunters Club website.

James D. Julia Auctions is having an upcoming auction featuring one of these belt plates. You can also go to the Julia auction site, register for free, and search "Waco Guards" to read the description and the auction estimate.

The stores's tag read, "Old belt and buckle." Obviously, they didn't know what they had or didn't care and were only interested in moving merchandise. It's a perfect example of "Ignornance is bliss, but knowledge is power." Like many of you, I have thousands of dollars invested in books, magazines, DVDs, etc., and countless hours pouring over them to acquire that knowledge. :read2:

Best Regards to all from the Kansas-Missouri border,
Steve

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tobias said:
I must admit I know nothing of US civil war stuff. I am also very aware that something that seems to good to be true, is just that 99.99% of the time.

However, I would just like to post this link to an identical belt plate coming up for auction at James D. Julia:
http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=41415&sale=303

I have spent some time comparing the two, and I must say that they seem to be struck from the same die. There are just too many minute details that correspond. Of course, the one at JDJ might also be modern. At the very least, I think it might be a good idea to have an expert look at it, and I hope it turns out to be one of the 0.01%.

Julias auction ID is not what is in Kerksis book as figure number 228, so the ID by Julia is wrong. It is a Kerksis 411 with a rarity 9 which should weight about 1 oz and is made of brass, and is die stamped. A soldier in Waco Texas, wore one in the CW, is what Kerksis has in the description.. If yours is good, it is a nice find. It is also found in the Gavin book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread