Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck, got permission for us to get on a private farm field in an area where CW troops passed and camped. We did make some finds that would lead one to think the troops had been there. A 1862 Indian Head, dropped three ring bullet, heel plate w/heart piercing, fired round ball, pistol bullet, 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter, 1891 Indian Head, piece of broken muzzle loading rifle trigger guard, bridle rosette, small piece of pewter spoon, fragment of a harmonica reed and a lantern wick adjuster.

In addition the usual broken pieces of farm equipment, bolts, plow points, broken cast iron pots and pot lids.

And ....... half of a lead mold to make counterfeit Seated Liberty Quarters. (This detail has now been investigated and changed to the mold being for a V-Nickle.)

The lead mold half was bent in a "V" shape when struck by a plow. I straighten it out flat again by gingerly squeezing in a wood workers vise.

I have played around with the image in of the mold cavity to enhance the design. The photo of just the cavity it's self has been reversed. This makes the image look the same way the coin that was used to make it instead of backwards as it looks in actuality.

Unfortunately a plow rode across the cavity wiping out the last two digits of the date. You can see the "18" clearly and that's it. Three feet from the mold I found a fairly nice 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar and I just wonder if this coin is the one used to make the mold.

Attachments

• CIMG2147.jpg
    CIMG2147.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,049
  • CIMG2146.jpg
    CIMG2146.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,026
  • CIMG2145A.jpg
    CIMG2145A.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,003
  • CIMG2148.jpg
    CIMG2148.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,027
Upvote 1

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
DigginThePast said:
I'm having trouble making out what you are describing but I'll take your word for it regarding the details.

You mention the "V" or Liberty Nickel. Don't forget that for that issue in the first year the word Cents was not on the reverse for part of the run. Many 1883 "V" Nickels were plated and passed as $5 Gold pieces. Your mold could actually be part of a process for making counterfeit $5 gold pieces. Pretty neat! :thumbsup:

Good point. Why would you counterfeit a nickel to be just a nickle and not have another reason to do so? If the penalty for Grand Theft is the same for stealing a Yugo, as it is a Ferrari, why steal the Yugo?

http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php?page=auction:view_item&auction_id=1256894

Yeah, we can tell the difference nowaday; however, if you'd heard of, but never saw a $5.00 gold piece back then ... it could have been easy to have been had.

Well, whatever coin the mold was for ... great find ! :icon_thumleft:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on the great find! I love the shoe plate too! congrats on making banner also

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find. Congrats on making the Banner, and can't wait to see more.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am honored by having found something worthy of the Banner.

I was kind of wondering why someone would go to all that trouble for a nickle.

Hadn't heard the stuff about plated V nickels being passed as gold $5. That makes a little more sense about why someone would take the time to make a mold.

I just hope the other half is lurking in that field. Going back next week and Buck is bringing his big coil to see if we can get some more depth in the area.

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner!!! You had a great day. I am curious about how they would have used a lead mould? Wouldn't molten silver melt or quickly deteriorate the detail? I'm not in any way doubting your find... I'm just a wondering????

Thanks for sharing with us... It's great to see some new finds on the banner.
Saftgeek

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Kenosha Kid said:
DigginThePast said:
I'm having trouble making out what you are describing but I'll take your word for it regarding the details.

You mention the "V" or Liberty Nickel. Don't forget that for that issue in the first year the word Cents was not on the reverse for part of the run. Many 1883 "V" Nickels were plated and passed as $5 Gold pieces. Your mold could actually be part of a process for making counterfeit $5 gold pieces. Pretty neat! :thumbsup:

Good point. Why would you counterfeit a nickel to be just a nickle and not have another reason to do so? If the penalty for Grand Theft is the same for stealing a Yugo, as it is a Ferrari, why steal the Yugo?

http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php?page=auction:view_item&auction_id=1256894

Yeah, we can tell the difference nowaday; however, if you'd heard of, but never saw a $5.00 gold piece back then ... it could have been easy to have been had.

Well, whatever coin the mold was for ... great find ! :icon_thumleft:

It is very possible that it was used for nickels, and not for the $5 gold plated 5 cent piece. Counterfeiting nickels and five cent pieces was fairly common. The nickel would have been easier to pass on as real. Trying to pass a dime or larger denomonation coin would be more likely to be scrutinized. Silver would have been more likely to get noticed.

A simple search of the NY times archives turns up numerous examples from the 1870s and 1880s and of course the famous FL Henning case of 1955 :

Attachments

• 1870.jpg
    1870.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,301
  • 1872.jpg
    1872.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,291
  • 1873 5 Cent Counterfeit.jpg
    1873 5 Cent Counterfeit.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,285
  • 1881 NY Counterfeit.jpg
    1881 NY Counterfeit.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2,269
  • 1884 Counterfeit.jpg
    1884 Counterfeit.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,275

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome relic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey - Great articles. :thumbsup:

How great would it be to turn up a counterfeit piece at that site, one that would match this mold? I'd pound it to try anyway. :headbang:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
nice find

You mention the "V" or Liberty Nickel. Don't forget that for that issue in the first year the word Cents was not on the reverse for part of the run. Many 1883 "V" Nickels were plated and passed as $5 Gold pieces. Your mold could actually be part of a process for making counterfeit $5 gold pieces. Pretty neat!

The counterfeiters used the V nickle because the coin didnt have the word CENTS on it and the gold piece looked the same.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great find. Congrats on making the banner you certainly deserve it, :icon_thumright:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
DigginThePast said:

Congrats On your unique Find & Banner :notworthy:
Agreed here, this would allow you to make your coins just the right weight.
and a much better return than nickels :o
love finding Counterfeit coins!
Am amazed at the faith of some cashiers in 'the Pen'
I broke a Cnote the other day, cashier didn't even look at the bill, just swiped it with the pen & boxed it! :icon_scratch:

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Banner. What a fascinating peice of history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread