Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck, got permission for us to get on a private farm field in an area where CW troops passed and camped. We did make some finds that would lead one to think the troops had been there. A 1862 Indian Head, dropped three ring bullet, heel plate w/heart piercing, fired round ball, pistol bullet, 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter, 1891 Indian Head, piece of broken muzzle loading rifle trigger guard, bridle rosette, small piece of pewter spoon, fragment of a harmonica reed and a lantern wick adjuster.

In addition the usual broken pieces of farm equipment, bolts, plow points, broken cast iron pots and pot lids.

And ....... half of a lead mold to make counterfeit Seated Liberty Quarters. (This detail has now been investigated and changed to the mold being for a V-Nickle.)

The lead mold half was bent in a "V" shape when struck by a plow. I straighten it out flat again by gingerly squeezing in a wood workers vise.

I have played around with the image in of the mold cavity to enhance the design. The photo of just the cavity it's self has been reversed. This makes the image look the same way the coin that was used to make it instead of backwards as it looks in actuality.

Unfortunately a plow rode across the cavity wiping out the last two digits of the date. You can see the "18" clearly and that's it. Three feet from the mold I found a fairly nice 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar and I just wonder if this coin is the one used to make the mold.

Attachments

• CIMG2147.jpg
    CIMG2147.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,049
  • CIMG2146.jpg
    CIMG2146.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,026
  • CIMG2145A.jpg
    CIMG2145A.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,003
  • CIMG2148.jpg
    CIMG2148.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,027
Upvote 1

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Congratulations on making the banner...a truly unique find.

I am perplexed by one thing however, this is a lead mold to cast counterfeit nickels...nickel's melting point is 2651 degrees F...lead melts at 621 degrees F...was this just a really ill conceived idea?

HH
CD

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a spectacular find, and i think instead of being called a mold i think they are more commonly called a die a (coin die) instead of a coin mold because dies make copy's of things by putting extreme pressure on a disk between two dies at room temperature and molds use molten metals to pour into a mold. i hope this is helpful in your research :thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is a very awesome find. I would contact sometime to get an approximate value and rarity. I would definitely hold on to it. Definitely banner worthy. Great job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread