Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck, got permission for us to get on a private farm field in an area where CW troops passed and camped. We did make some finds that would lead one to think the troops had been there. A 1862 Indian Head, dropped three ring bullet, heel plate w/heart piercing, fired round ball, pistol bullet, 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter, 1891 Indian Head, piece of broken muzzle loading rifle trigger guard, bridle rosette, small piece of pewter spoon, fragment of a harmonica reed and a lantern wick adjuster.

In addition the usual broken pieces of farm equipment, bolts, plow points, broken cast iron pots and pot lids.

And ....... half of a lead mold to make counterfeit Seated Liberty Quarters. (This detail has now been investigated and changed to the mold being for a V-Nickle.)

The lead mold half was bent in a "V" shape when struck by a plow. I straighten it out flat again by gingerly squeezing in a wood workers vise.

I have played around with the image in of the mold cavity to enhance the design. The photo of just the cavity it's self has been reversed. This makes the image look the same way the coin that was used to make it instead of backwards as it looks in actuality.

Unfortunately a plow rode across the cavity wiping out the last two digits of the date. You can see the "18" clearly and that's it. Three feet from the mold I found a fairly nice 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar and I just wonder if this coin is the one used to make the mold.

Attachments

• CIMG2147.jpg
    CIMG2147.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,049
  • CIMG2146.jpg
    CIMG2146.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,026
  • CIMG2145A.jpg
    CIMG2145A.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,003
  • CIMG2148.jpg
    CIMG2148.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,027
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something kept nagging me about the coin used to make the mold. I finally figured it out by rotating the photo until the date was straight across the bottom as one normally would look a the coin.

As I said earlier I reversed or flipped the image so it would appear as if you were looking at the coin instead of the mirror image of it.

I am now certain that the mold is to cast fake V-Nickles or what is also known as Liberty Head 1883-1912 Nickel.

I attached the rotated image of the mold and if you have a V-Nickel or a book with a photo of one you can make out the head, stars and date (except for the last two digits)

Attachments

• CIMG2145A Rotated.jpg
    CIMG2145A Rotated.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,867

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
nice finds like the heart shaped heel plate often used by ladys of the nite so customers could follow her to her house of operation heel prints in the dirt

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that def. Looks like a mold for a v nickel, sweet find! I found that exact heel plate last fall, congrats on a super hunt!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a darn GREAT find!!!!! :notworthy:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an Awesome find! :hello2:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mold should really be on the Banner. Not something that's every been found before that I know of. Well done!

Brian

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Mold !

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find!!! It looks cool up top in the Banner, logged in and saw someting new up top HH Chug

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having trouble making out what you are describing but I'll take your word for it regarding the details.

You mention the "V" or Liberty Nickel. Don't forget that for that issue in the first year the word Cents was not on the reverse for part of the run. Many 1883 "V" Nickels were plated and passed as $5 Gold pieces. Your mold could actually be part of a process for making counterfeit $5 gold pieces. Pretty neat! :thumbsup:

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread