World War II dog tag

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
For the most part I have only read your topics here. I should probably start posting more to share my finds. You all seem like a bunch of nice people.
Anyway, I was out last Sunday with a group from my detecting club. Slightly off of the beaten path I found a military dog tag. When I got home I looked in my phone book and low and behold the fellas name was there. I called and left a message that I had found something that possibly belonged to him. Later that day a woman called back to me for him. I explained briefly what I had found. Right off the bat she blurted out the serial number to me. Wow! She told me that it was a WWII tag. She said that he is 85 now. They used to spend a lot of time there as they had actually met there at this old park. I had told here that I had found it in the woods down from an overlook. She chuckled and said "HMM I wonder what he was doing down there. Talk about awkward silence. At any rate, this woman was ecstatic. She couldn't believe that someone had found it. I asked for her address so that I could drop it in the mail for him. She also couldn't believe that I was willing to send it to him. To me personally, I feel that it was the only thing to do. Hopefully he is receiving it today. Some other treasure seekers I have spoken to felt I should have kept it. They tell me that those are collectable. News to me. I feel that it is far more valuable to the real owner than it would ever be to me. I do hope it puts a smile on that old gents face.
good luck to all. Hope your finds are well!

Upvote 0

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Way to go coinshtr...I am sure the old guy remembers how it was lost..althought he may not want to tell hei wife :-) and I agree with you returning the dog tag is much more rewarding than selling it!!

HH
Dave

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
WTG coinshtr,,, thats a great story,, I'm sure you did the right thing...
That feelings worth a lot more then money...
Good luck & Happy Hunting~

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
You did the right thing. I don't believe in god and karma and all that crap. I believe in right and wrong. When my grandfather was dying from cancer I used to bring him to the VA hospital. During one visit another veteran came up to my grandfather and addressed him by name. Which was shocking in it self. He then went on to tell a story about how my grandfather saved his life in the pacific theater. Apparently my grand father came upon three Japanese soldiers bayonetting an American soldier and my grand father shot all three Japanese soldiers dead. My grandfather was a merchant marine and never really talked about the war. He never got any medals (not that he wanted them to my knowledge) but he had to really fight with the government and VA to pay his benefits because he was a merchant marine. He was a gunner on two different ships that went down and broke his back and blew out his ear drums. I will never forget the thanks that the man and his wife had for my grandfather. Only time I saw my grandfather cry. Anything positive you can do for a veteran or their family is the right thing to do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWSOME Coinshtr, YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD !!!! there's no feeling like it , IS THERE ? The Value to them FAR OUT-WEIGHS ANY INTRINSIC VALUE.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Coinshtr,

That is only the right thing to do. I think the quest is finding out the history of an item like you did. Is isn't complicated to stumble across a relic or collectible, but to be able to find the owner and the history is more of a challenge. I am sure he will tell stories to all his War Buddies till the day he dies.

There is no greater satisfaction than knowing you did the right thing!

I will never forget the time I .............................. Oh, Never Mind! That might take up an entire post! Maybe Later!

Robert in SC

OP
OP
C

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
Hey Folks,
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I appreciate it much. As stated, I will start posting some finds. Good luck to all and happy hunting.

OP
OP
C

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
To all those interested, I got a thankyou card in the mail today from the owner of the dog tag with some very nice things to say to me. Also along with the card were 2 $5 gift cards for Bob Evans. Nice to see that he got the dog tag back.
Happy hunting folks. Gotta get some sleep for an early hunt. Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread