April 15 1865. Not dug but found today

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I found this paper while helping my wife's grandmother sort through some antiques. She had this paper and some declaring the end of WWI. She also had a CDV of my wife's great great great grandfather and two of his medals. He was a Union soldier from 1861-1866. I bought the paper and CDV, she wasn't sure if she wanted to sell the medals yet. I thought some of the history researches and civil war collectors might like to see it.

Attachments

• newspaper 002 (2).jpg
    newspaper 002 (2).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 561
Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a neat find! Tsgman

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! The New York Herald's addition of assassination of President Lincoln, that's a piece of history to hang on to!
Very Cool!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Phenomenal find, Lucky! Thanks for posting it.

BTW, if your relative decides to sell the medals, PM me and I'll pass along some contacts with special expertise in that field.

All the best,
PBK

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...thats a real nice paper. i 'm a civil war/pape collector and papers like that are worth more than 50 dollars. Don't keep it in a plastic bag (even acid free....it will trap the moister and ruin it), or keep it in contact with new paper (acid). The best thing to do is either keep it in a low humidity area between two sheets of non acidic paper. I have a paper that is only a few weeks older than yours, one that details the sinking of the sultana (read about it) and the surender of Johnston's army.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
lucky1777

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
She probably would have given it to me. Her husband died last year and she lost his pension. I offered to buy it to help her out.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
many museums would love to have the paper...i myself would purchase a copy if you are interested........gldhntr

OP
OP
lucky1777

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I e-mailed a gentlemen who collects newsprint. I will ask him if photocoping will due any damage. If not I will see if staples can copy it. I will let you know. If they can, you can just send a SASE and I will send it to you.

Thanks everyone for looking.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
thanks lucky....i know the city engineering offices have large printers capable of this...they usually charge 3-5 bucks, which i will happily pay..........gldhntr

O

Ole Mole

lucky1777 said:
I e-mailed a gentlemen who collects newsprint. I will ask him if photocoping will due any damage. If not I will see if staples can copy it. I will let you know. If they can, you can just send a SASE and I will send it to you.

Thanks everyone for looking.
I don't think that photo copying would be a great idea being the possible use of ultraviolet lighting. May cause more damage, but is definitely worth checking into and asking how to preserve it for display. Any history buff would be more than happy to display any such find as that. WOW!!!

As for keeping it plastic, the humidity issue may just be a problem. You may want to contact your local Historical Society and see what or who they recommend to help in preserving such a great piece of history such as yours.

Awesome find to keep in the family for sure.

HH

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice peice of history.

That paper is in nice condition also.

HH Jer

OP
OP
lucky1777

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
It is a lot worse shape than it looks. I had to crop down a lot of the pic. There are a couple of tears in the center and the edges are tattered.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it out of direct sunlight.
Try not to fold it.
It should be stored in very low humidity..
**Acid free plastic or glass on both sides.
But make sure air can circulate in anything it is encased in.**
You have a very valuable piece of history.
My suggestion is to place it on loan to a museum where it can be properly perserved..
Fantastic find.
Not many of the originals left.

Do not attempt to repair it in any way...

OP
OP
lucky1777

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Thanks Dg39. My intentions were to somehow frame this along with the CDV and hopefully his medals and some research I have done on him. The story is he brought this back with him when he left the army.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions