UPDATES ON THAT MY RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
Plans got cancelled for sunday hunt because of storms. Well didnt rain in morn so I thought I wanted to get out, soon as i got into my truck started raining. Well drove to a wood site about 5 minutes down road. Got out of truck and walked about 3 min into woods started to rain as soon as i got a good deep reading. Well dug about foot down and i missed it was on bottem and on side of hole. Fell out into bottem of hole grabbed it and filled hole in. As im running back to truck I seen 97 great date. As I am running trru sticker bushes and all bloody and soaked made it to the truck. Put it in a baggie and left didnt stop raining till this am. Got home and ran water to get dirt off, and well this is what I found. 1797 Rare variety large cent in au condition I think . Told it might b a S 125 any ideas. HH Mark It is The rare S-125 r5 This is the best known condition in this variety out there.

Attachments

• 112_0701(1).JPG
    112_0701(1).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 7,741
  • 112_0704(2).JPG
    112_0704(2).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 7,714
Upvote 0

SirDewars

Greenie
Jan 30, 2011
Re: 3 Minutes THAT PRODUCED RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

great coin looks good especially for the age

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man "O" Man, do you know how to manage your time or what.

That is a thing of beauty.

Congratulations of the find of a lifetime, banner no doubt.

Man, I love this hobby.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Without any regards to the rarity of the coin, that is the best large cent I have seen on this forum. I'm sure someone will remind me of another, but I can't think of it. Do you get many in that condition where you detect? My banner vote is in.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Great find! The funny thing is I was across the street from you at the gym when you found it!

When you told me the condition I was not expecting to see just how amazing it is. When I got out the camera to photograph it today, my jaw dropped.

I know you are a little envious of my recent find, but I must admit I am a little envious of your find as well.

I hope to see it up there next to mine at the top. Congratulations on a great find!

I don't remember your hair being that dark tho... :D

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This has to be one of the best coppers I have seen posted on here. :headbang: I could bet the farm on that copper being lost in 1797. :headbang:

Kirk :hello:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Geesh, you should hope it rains more often :tongue3: That thing looks like it was just minted!

B-A-N-N-E-R

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ohhh my god that is amazing you have my vote for banner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 :headbang: :notworthy: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup: :o :o :o

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

I can see her nose hairs, Nice copper!
Hill

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
Great find! The funny thing is I was across the street from you at the gym when you found it!

When you told me the condition I was not expecting to see just how amazing it is. When I got out the camera to photograph it today, my jaw dropped.

I know you are a little envious of my recent find, but I must admit I am a little envious of your find as well.

I hope to see it up there next to mine at the top. Congratulations on a great find!

What's up with this? You guys must have old coins all over the place up there.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sure it is a.... Reverse of the 97 with stems , the rare ones are rev. of 95 or stemless . Great coin none the less :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

CMDiamonddawg said:
Sure it is a.... Reverse of the 97 with stems , the rare ones are rev. of 95 or stemless . Great coin none the less :thumbsup:

Even though it is not in the Red Book, there are more than 30 varieties of the 1797. Some are rare. Don in SJ saw the photos, and was able to narrow it down to a few varieties, both of which are rare.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac

Mark, I have allready looked at this post 8 times. What a sweet copper, one of the best I have seen ever posted. That South Jersey sandy soil is so freindly to coppers. Up top she belongs.
Marty

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
CMDiamonddawg said:

Even though it is not in the Red Book, there are more than 30 varieties of the 1797. Some are rare. Don in SJ saw the photos, and was able to narrow it down to a few varieties, both of which are rare.

The S-127 is a Very Scarce variety Rarity 4, not Rare, the S-125 I think is still considered Rare but still do not think it is a S-125. Looking at the grading book I would think it would grade roughly and I mean roughly a high EF rating. It is hard to say with the dirt still there of how much leaf detail there is on the reverse to qualify that side for higher than EF, and the hair on the obverse looks more like EF than AU, but again, with dirt and lighting in a photo hard to say for sure. I am fairly certain there is some environmental damage by the appearance of some areas on the Obverse side. But with all that said, if it is a S-127, and I am awaiting confirmation from a more knowledgeable Large Cent fellow, and if it is not in porous condition, even in EF the coin is close to near Condition Census in my opinion and would be a quite valuable ground found copper.

Don

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

;D Banner

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Holy moly! Cha ching!

OP
OP
chark21798

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

Thanks Don and everyone else, I can clean dirt off of it with Q-tip but that's the way it came from ground. There is not 1 pit or any damage what so ever. Neil has seen the coin no wear what so ever on it picture doesn't do coin justice. Also hard to tell from picture but she has die cracks? under chin that looks like a beard. I have been studyin my coin and all different varieties and just cant match um up to any. S 127 leaves on back just look to big these are more narrow. I just cant tell, And i am not an expert . Thanks again Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread