War of 1812 Crumpton Artillery Corps Button, 1895-S Barber Half Dollar & more!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War of 1812 Crumpton Artillery Corps Button, 1895-S Barber Half Dollar & more!

Hey Guys, well I got back out to one of my new field sites this past weekend and was planning on trying to find some hot spots around it. This field sits not far from the

Battle of Burnt Chimneys and was all part of the Peninsular/Seven Days Campaigns. My first good signal turned out to be a Confederate Gardner (2-Ringer) which made me

happy as it was the first Civil War relic of the site. I was happy with it and just settling into the hunt when I was suddenly overtaken by a MASSIVE storm. The wind

started blowing 40-50 mph snapping tree limbs, sending a TON of this Sandy SE Virginia soil into the air and generally Downpouring on top of me! I hauled tail back to the

truck to wait it out and as ominous as it was, it literally passed in about 15 minutes and with no more storms in site according to the weather radar on my phone, I hopped

back out of the truck to blue skies and sunshine. As I walked back onto the field, there hanging gloriously above me

was one of the coolest rainbows I’ve ever seen stretching all the way across the field!

MD Pics 1357ed.jpg

I Quickly ran over there and detected but No Joy, NO POT OF GOLD!? :dontknow: :laughing9: But it was very cool and I took it as a sign of some good things to come.

In front of this field is an 1850s era house that I’ve also got permission to hunt and had produced the Barber Half on my last hunt . I ended up digging a Largie out

of the yard and between the housesite and the field, I ended the day with a nice full pouch including my last find of the day, which was a Beautiful Early 1800’s Crumpton

Artillery Corps Button! Here’s my finds:

Some of the days Bullets:
CIMG0149.jpg

CIMG0135.jpg

CIMG0138.jpg

Finds fresh from the Pouch:
CIMG0140.jpg

1895-S Barber Half Dollar (Dirty):
MD Pics 1315.jpg

1895-S Barber Half Dollar(Cleaned):
1895 Barber Half-Dirty.jpg

Early 1800's Crumpton Artillery Corps Button
MD Pics 1341.jpg

1840s Braided Hair LC
22043_10_03_11_11_26_57.jpeg

Some Group Shots (Spencer, Gardner, Percussion Caps, a strange "Wrench" made from lead (maybe a homemade "nipple" wrench), solid silver ring, '65, '73,'76 '83, & '88 Injuns as well as other things are in the mix):
1895-S Barber Half Dollar Cleaned.jpg

War of 1812 Artillery Corps Button.jpg

MD Pics 1350.jpg

CIMG0148.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0149.jpg
    CIMG0149.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,122
Upvote 0

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: War of 1812 Crumpton Artillery Corps Button, 1895-S Barber Half Dollar & more!

Oh man, look at all that area to detect.
Great stuff there,
Carl

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: War of 1812 Crumpton Artillery Corps Button, 1895-S Barber Half Dollar & more!

VOL1266-X said:
Beautiful pics and finds Josh. You made a haul there. I bet Tenn. Josh wishes you lived closer to us so you could buy lunch for Dman and myself instead of him-LOL. I never expect to dig another Eagle button again either (as far as Tenn. Josh knows anyway). Great historic recoveries my friend, Quindy.

LOL. No worries, I'd gladly by y'all some lunch....as much as we'd be goin out digging, we'd need something in our stomachs ;D Its always nice to have some nice buds to go along with you when you're on the hunt. Thanks my friend! :occasion14: :wink:

Steve in PA said:
Very nice outing Josh, I love the artillery button. Looking forward to chatting with you at DIV.

Thanks Steve and hopefully we'll be diggin some more great stuff in a couple weeks buddy. See you there :occasion14:

traverdog said:
Some great finds and a beautiful barber!!!
IT STILL is a shock each and every time I see a Silver disc pop out of the hole that's this big. This one with the"S" mintmark grades around a 12 and a pretty decent price on the PCGS....more than I would've thought. Thanks man for the nice words! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

rtde3 said:
Really nice pile of finds Josh!
Sorry about the pot of gold. ;D
Congrats! :thumbsup:
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: ;D LOL .........YEAH.........DANG.....Well at least I tried to find that "prize" at the end of the rainbow...I think someone may have been telling some "tall Tales" :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Its always good to here from you Rob and hope your doin well up there at the top of the Bay.....you'll have to come down and dig with me sometime :wink:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

VERY NICE! well done on everything. :icon_thumleft: willy

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz

Wonderful story Sentinel,
and the rainbow was awesome! Nice finds to, you dig get lucky that the storm passed after 15min, hope you fin more over there
maby a pot of gold? :wink:

HH//TSH

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RJH02 said:
Cool finds and video's. Any ideas what the wrench could have been used for? I hope you feel better soon, I dislike back pain.

The only thing I can think of that would fit in where I found it and with all the military relics I found at the site would be an impromptu Nipple Wrench, but cannot be certain. Thanks man, got the Lidocaine patch on right now and seems to be doing better. :wink:

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Oh man, look at all that area to detect.
Great stuff there,
Carl

CARL my friend, how've you been? Yes indeed its enough field to hunt for months on in if not years. Come on down :wink: :icon_thumleft:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great digs Josh. Always good to see a post from you. :icon_thumright:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: War of 1812 Crumpton Artillery Corps Button, 1895-S Barber Half Dollar & mor

Great site! Lots of good stuff. HH

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Big Silver, Large Copper, Early 1 Piece.
Those are some great Digs :hello2:
The Eagle and Cannon buttons are my personal favorites.
Have been fortunate to dig a few of them up here, but not with detail like that beauty !!
Keep pillaging ! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

looks like you're gettin some pretty nice depth out of that T2 :o Love the pics, nice post :headbang:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Josh that was one fantastic hunt!!! That is a sweet ring and I like the button too!!! congrats

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
Antiquarian said:
Hey Sentinel . . . you just kill me with the stuff you find man! :notworthy:

Congrats on the beautiful Crumpton Artillery Corps Button
and on the Barber half buddy! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Thanks Antiquarian. I always look forward to your posts as they're always positive. Thanks brutha and if you're ever down this way, shoot me a PM :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors said:
Josh, you continue to amaze me with that machine buddy. Alot of grunting going on in that video bro :D

Super finds as usual.

Mike

Thanks Mike....Yeah, the "grunting" was due to the fact I pulled my back muscle the night before and was REALLY sore...that and the frustration trying to film with a camera phone, a pain sometimes :P :laughing7:

Look Josh you have to plan your"Night Work" around the detecting! Thats the only way to be sure that you will be good for a long days detecting.

The bullets are awesome and the button is killer! WTG some great finds for sure :headbang:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Josh , Outstanding finds and pictures . The rainbow is an omen of your continued success in the future . :icon_sunny: I am recovering nicely from not getting the addicting J Team " finds fix " back in 2010 . A few more months in rehab and I'll be back to better appreciating and accepting your finds as the lone , individual hunter . :D Miss the duo hunts and hope your both doing well !! Great Hunt J :occasion14: :headbang: :headbang: :icon_thumleft: dawg

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
Sentinel, clearly you are on top of your game. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Gleaner :icon_thumleft: :wink:

dfx willy said:
VERY NICE! well done on everything. :icon_thumleft: willy

You the man Willy :wink: :icon_thumleft:

The Swed Hunther said:
Wonderful story Sentinel,
and the rainbow was awesome! Nice finds to, you dig get lucky that the storm passed after 15min, hope you fin more over there
maby a pot of gold? :wink:

HH//TSH

Thanks Swed. I bet you've found some pretty significant finds there in Sweden; lots of Viking relics I would think. Thanks buddy :icon_thumleft: :wink:

mainer said:
Great digs Josh. Always good to see a post from you. :icon_thumright:
Hey Jess. Thanks Buddy. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Might have missed it...what was the date of the large cent? And you sure dig the heck out of that field! Got to be more.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf said:
looks like you're gettin some pretty nice depth out of that T2 :o Love the pics, nice post :headbang:

OH Yeah, its extremely deep. I've gone back over some of our sites already and found some more buttons and coins with it....and these were sites that we CLEANED UP HARD! So that extra Boost Mode is worth the money.....I still love my trusty MXT, with that Excelerator coil its extremely deep too...Guess I'll keep'em both ;D :occasion14: :occasion14: Cheers my Rusky diggin partna :wink:

steelheadwill said:
Big Silver, Large Copper, Early 1 Piece.
Those are some great Digs :hello2:
The Eagle and Cannon buttons are my personal favorites.
Have been fortunate to dig a few of them up here, but not with detail like that beauty !!
Keep pillaging ! :thumbsup:

Yeah it was a well rounded hunt and I got lucky with that particular Crumpton Artillery as some come out with the faces all flaking away....this one is about as pretty as the one I dug last month

cntrydncr1 said:
Josh that was one fantastic hunt!!! That is a sweet ring and I like the button too!!! congrats

Yeah that Ring was a nice surprise for sure. :wink: So are you ready for Beauregard Farm? IT IS HUGE....You'll SEE!!! :o Great stuff still left in there too!

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

great finds i really liked that button.hope you find some more in there.

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Congratulations :icon_thumleft:
TTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions