Need Help: San Juan Bell Dated 1776. And A 1906 Ridgeway PA Convention Heart.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, Went out yesterday evening for about a hr and 45 minutes.

About 10 minutes into the hunt or so on a hilltop that is very tough to stand on I got a really nice solid plus 79 on the dfx.

I dug down and found the heart only a few inches deep if that in really loose soil.

It says Convention at the top. Then on the sides really small left to right it says Aug then on the other side it says 14-16.

In the middle is a S and B together as you can see.

Then it says Ridgeway Pa then 1906 at the bottom.

The back has a maker but I can't get it all clear. I think it says Schwab RSS & Co Milwaukee. Milwaukee is the only definite word.

It's bigger than a quarter in size. Must have been attached to something at one point.

The other item is some kind of old bell. I don't know if the date is authentic or not. I'm not real happy because someone took a axe or something to it long ago.

There is no lawn near this place so a mower just doesn't seem to fit. Someone damaged it I think intentionally.

It is heavy looks to be bronze and is about 3 inch by 3 inch. The front reads this from the side where it was smashed Istrano 1776. The other words are missing from the damage.

Then on the back it says clearly San Juan then the rest of the lettering is damaged.

It has a small nub at the top of the bell with a hole in it. Then it also looks like there was a string of metal attached on the inside for a bell to ring it.

Hope someone can put a id on either of these items. I couldn't find anything out about them.

I found some other stuff to. I'll post it after this weekends hunts. I got permission to hit a old yard. I'm trying to get the time together to do it. Hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for the idea and help.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• San Juan 1776.jpg
    San Juan 1776.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 288
  • San Juan Back Side.jpg
    San Juan Back Side.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 1906 Convention.jpg
    1906 Convention.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 286
  • 1906 backside.jpg
    1906 backside.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, no idea but they are pretty sweet. I wonder what the history is on the bell...

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like someone took an axe to the bell... The heart looks interesting. my first impression is a baptist convention?? Some ladies organization?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hamilton, William W. - Named the Southern Baptist Convention's Home Mission Board's first head of the Department of Evangelism in 1906. He served as president of Baptist Bible Institute (BBI), now the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, from 1927to 1943. While president, he saved BBI from bankruptcy in 1932 when the school defaulted on $353,000 in bonds. President of the SBC from 1940 to 1942.
\

Just a guess....But Mr Hamilton was a Mason and a highstanding member of the Calvin Prather Lodge in Ridgeway,PA....Wonder if anything is connected here....

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need Help: San Juan Bell Dated 1776. And A 1906 Ridgeway PA Convention Heart

How big is the bell? I still think it's a pretty cool find, even though it is smashed.

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
You noted the words on the heart pendant. Convention, Ridgeway, Pa, etc...To me, it looks like the order in which it would have been read is "Convention of a SB" Aug14-16 Ridgeway,PA. (just my opinion)

Hope this helps.

Glenn

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800