genius move today...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Not what you think. I had done all of this great research on what I believe to be a new honey hole (hopefully I don't jinx it by opening my trap before I hunt it). It's a little or unknown spot today and likely virgin, but I found someone whose family used to own it and showed me pictures and there were tons of people there each year for a decade or so 50 years ago, all on grass/dirt. He showed me the photos of the parked cars, etc, all the people and the land is exactly as it was. I had actually been to the general area and detected a few weeks ago with no luck, but after talking to the new source who is in his 60s now and used to work there as a kid, and seeing the photos, I realized I was a few hundred yards away from the actual site. So this morning I am fired up and I know exactly where it is and I drive 45 minutes or so and pop the car trunk and, oh no, for the first time I had brought my detector in from the cold and left it in the house. Damn! So, I made the best of it by hiking around the site and indeed, it is untouched land exactly as described by the guy and shown in the photos, but today nobody would know what had been there without extensive research. Will get back there next day or two and report back...

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEST OF LUCK, BERGIE

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done that with my fishing gear a couple of times. Nothing like getting to the river, getting the gear on and go to reach for your fishing rod...???...DOH!!! :D

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
The worst part is when you get home and the bride (Broom Hilda) is standing there with your gear wanting to know what you were really up too! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Cladius

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, did this just the other night myself. All you can do is hang your head in shame and drive home. :-\ :( :'( When you always carry your detector in your car like people in the midwest carry fishing poles and rifles in their car, you kind of get used to it being there. I've done that a few times on my lunch hour too. 8)

D

David in Alabama

Good luck on the finds. I overlooked a honey hole virtually in my lap for years. My grtgrt uncle used to have partys at his house and people would bring their instruments and sit out in the front yard and get drunk and play music. This was in the 1930-1960 years. So far I have found in the neighborhood of 2 dozen coins. No silver dollars just quarters dimes pennies and a nichol or two. All fro an area about 100 x 100 ft. This is also the original homestead of my grtgrtgrandparents and I am going out near their old homesite on the property and hopefully find a coin or two. They werent real well off etc so I dont expect much. But one coin that was owned by them would be worth more than any money anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions