My first Capped Bust half dime found today!

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
I have been digging large amounts of trash in the yards I have been working. I really haven't been finding anything early. Yesterday I figured I would hit an old foundation site in the woods to go for the old stuff. I found shotgun and rifle shells along with some pieces of copper scraps and iron nails. No coins, no buttons and the only thing I brought home was a tick imbedded in my arm which I found later. My second one for the year, bummer! Today I raked the large yard I hunted last week. This hasn't been done for a couple years so the yard looks much better than it did when I started. I found one new Lincoln and a pouch full of junk. I started to get hungry so I figured I would work my way closer to the house and call it a day. Right along the edge of the yard I got a good signal and this 1837 half dime was laying right on the surface. I couldn't hardly believe it my first Capped Bust half dime. Man those things are small! This is silver piece #7 for the year and my oldest coin from an intown yard. Thanks for looking! DD

Attachments

• 1837dirty.JPG
    1837dirty.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 630
  • 1837front.JPG
    1837front.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 637
  • 1837back.JPG
    1837back.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 632
Upvote 0

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
I have been digging large amounts of trash in the yards I have been working. I really haven't been finding anything early. Yesterday I figured I would hit an old foundation site in the woods to go for the old stuff. I found shotgun and rifle shells along with some pieces of copper scraps and iron nails. No coins, no buttons and the only thing I brought home was a tick imbedded in my arm which I found later. My second one for the year, bummer! Today I raked the large yard I hunted last week. This hasn't been done for a couple years so the yard looks much better than it did when I started. I found one new Lincoln and a pouch full of junk. I started to get hungry so I figured I would work my way closer to the house and call it a day. Right along the edge of the yard I got a good signal and this 1837 half dime was laying right on the surface. I couldn't hardly believe it my first Capped Bust half dime. Man those things are small! This is silver piece #7 for the year and my oldest coin from an intown yard. Thanks for looking! DD

Define "on the surface...
Beautiful coin BTW awesome :headbang:

btornado71

Nov 7, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Awesome baby!!!!! That's why people should always dig the shallow signals. I hope to find one of these someday. The condition is really nice too. Good luck the rest of the year.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one. Lowest mintage of the series I do beleive. :icon_thumright:

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Awsome find!!! hard to belive that was just laying there :headbang:,,but I have found them like that too,, just not a bust half dime!!! :laughing9:,,great recovery!!!!

SWING AHEAD!!!!

Art

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I am still looking for my first Capped Bust silver coin.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Great find and on the surface!I've found a Merc and a Rosie on the surface but a Capped,amazing.Man those ticks our out early in Pa.,bummer.

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very nice coin in great shape.

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Nice going Dave. I've been pounding the hills around here for over 20 years and have yet to get a Capped Silver ! Wow !

HH
BB

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completely Awsome! Wish I could find one ::)

Congrats!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Very nice! 1837 was a transition year; my first half dime was an 1837 Seated Liberty model. They are tiny!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful old Silver :o
I've found several old surface coins, but none like that :hello2:
Congrats :thumbsup: