I cant think of a title

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
I can't think of a title

So I was out hitting some estate sales this morning, and I found some goodies--a couple of vintage Springbok puzzles, a pair of Westmoreland salt and pepper shakers, some desperately needed hedge clippers, and a bottle of one of my favorite colognes for a song--and in the process of all of this I drove past this one spot... A big lot that has been vacant as long as I can remember. I've never seen any activity there, nor is there any sign that anything was ever even there. It isn't in a particularly old part of town, either. But today I noticed that there was fresh dirt showing. >PERK?< So after I hit all the sales on my list, I went back to the lot to check it out.

I parked and got my detector out of the trunk (never leave home without it, heh), and walked out to where the dirt was. I could tell right away I was going to be disappointed. The dirt had been hauled in and dumped there. Soon though I noticed that there was a good bit of old brick, pottery, and broken glass in the mix, so I kept swinging. Nothing. I spotted a second spot of dirt way over on the other side of this huge lot, so I went to check it out too. I couldn't tell what the deal was there. It sort of looked fresh, sort of looked dumped, maybe dug, who knows?? Anyway it was full of junk and garbage (as if those weren't the same thing) so I prepared to leave. As I was walking back to the car I noticed *way* over on the other side of the lot another spot of dirt, as opposed to the tall weeds that were everywhere else. As I got closer, I was dismayed to see that once again, it was fill dirt that had been brought in. I noticed however, that where they had been operating the machinery to bring in the dirt, they had disturbed a couple of spots--maybe a total of 10 square feet, if that--where they had uncovered the original dirt and squelched out the weeds. I swung my detector over the disturbed area and got a nice penny-sounding signal. When I saw what literally popped up out of the ground like toast, I absolutely could NOT believe it. All I could do was stand there and say "HOLY S___" over and over and over. I have found several of these over the years, but this is my first 'type-1', and I don't think any of the others I've found were in this good of shape.

I didn't find anything else at all. Just that beauty. eheheh

Attachments

• 070106.jpg
    070106.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 842
Upvote 0

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Re: I can't think of a title

Hey mlw,

That coin is a beauty !!!
Congrats on the find !!

Mike in SC

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

That's great! What a beaut!! Congrats on that one, it was definitely worth the "HOLY S___" comment. ;)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats the nicest standing lib i have ever sen come out of the ground

HH
-GC

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOLY S___ for sure. That is one awesome coin my friend. I bet you made your patiented face to :D

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very ,very,very,very nice. Still strong date.. Thats the first to go on the early ones.. Congrad's!!! ::)

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice find...Gotta Love This Hobby......................

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Yeah, I am *very* glad I stopped (like wild horses could have kept me from getting at least a few swings in ROFL).

I am *still* making 'the face', and I may not be able to unstick my face from that position for awhile yet.

Here's how the moment went down:

I'm done with the site and ready to leave. I'm disappointed that all that dirt I had seen was fresh fill from a junky source. I've got about '5-swings' worth of ground left to cover before completely calling it quits when I get this penny signal. I'm thinking "cool--maybe if I'm lucky I can leave with a wheat". I stick my screwdriver down about 4 inches, just off to the side of the signal, and let er' rip. This coin comes flying up about a foot in the air and as it is in flight I realize it is not a penny, but instead a silver quarter. "HOLY S___!" I say. It lands on the ground and I realize it is a standing liberty quarter. "HOLY S___!" I shout. I pick it up, and realize it is in amazing condition. "HOLY S____!" I yell raspily. I look at the date and realize it is not only a pre-recessed date variety, but even a type-1. "HOLY S____" I scream crazily for all the neighborhood to hear. I'm surprised I didn't get arrested for being PG-13 in a G-rated area.

Oh jeez, I just remembered that I have another sod-removed site to go check out today. I saw it earlier when I was hitting the sales. After finding this quarter I had to come home and calm down a little bit. Sweet, maybe I'll get another one today. LOL

Well I'm gonna go hunt again. I'm glad you all like the coin!

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000

Holy Shellac.... no..Holy Smokes.....naw......HOLY SMILES! What a great find. I have only found one in 6 years and would you believe it......I lost it before I got home. I went to several sites that day and can't for the life of me figure how I lost it. But lose it I did. Since it was not in Oregon, though, I won't try to beg you out of yours. Congratulations on a beautiful coin.
Ron

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Really nice standing Lib.

It's nice to find them. But it's even better when they come out like that.

HH Jer

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That Is a Beauty !

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

zoinx dude........ ;D ;D ;D ;D now that is pretty,, i hope your face doesn't stick like that..lol..i had that happen once about the coin popping out. seeing it in the air,, i think that your smiling before it hits the ground,,lol.. congrads on an awesome coin,, ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D :o :o :o

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida

Wow! So THAT'S what all this "Standing Liberty" fuss has been about. She's gawjus! I'd have said "Holy S***" and a whole lot more, too! Nicely done. Did I say she was gawjus??? Wow!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful coin! As you can see, the rest of us are jealous!

Your title could've been: "You are all going to be jealous, because I am awesome!" haha

What pattern where the Westmoreland S/P shakers in?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice catch! Just goes to show that treasure is everywhere!

(woohoo...100th post! ;D)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread