I cant think of a title
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I can't think of a title

So I was out hitting some estate sales this morning, and I found some goodies--a couple of vintage Springbok puzzles, a pair of Westmoreland salt and pepper shakers, some desperately needed hedge clippers, and a bottle of one of my favorite colognes for a song--and in the process of all of this I drove past this one spot... A big lot that has been vacant as long as I can remember. I've never seen any activity there, nor is there any sign that anything was ever even there. It isn't in a particularly old part of town, either. But today I noticed that there was fresh dirt showing. >PERK?< So after I hit all the sales on my list, I went back to the lot to check it out.

I parked and got my detector out of the trunk (never leave home without it, heh), and walked out to where the dirt was. I could tell right away I was going to be disappointed. The dirt had been hauled in and dumped there. Soon though I noticed that there was a good bit of old brick, pottery, and broken glass in the mix, so I kept swinging. Nothing. I spotted a second spot of dirt way over on the other side of this huge lot, so I went to check it out too. I couldn't tell what the deal was there. It sort of looked fresh, sort of looked dumped, maybe dug, who knows?? Anyway it was full of junk and garbage (as if those weren't the same thing) so I prepared to leave. As I was walking back to the car I noticed *way* over on the other side of the lot another spot of dirt, as opposed to the tall weeds that were everywhere else. As I got closer, I was dismayed to see that once again, it was fill dirt that had been brought in. I noticed however, that where they had been operating the machinery to bring in the dirt, they had disturbed a couple of spots--maybe a total of 10 square feet, if that--where they had uncovered the original dirt and squelched out the weeds. I swung my detector over the disturbed area and got a nice penny-sounding signal. When I saw what literally popped up out of the ground like toast, I absolutely could NOT believe it. All I could do was stand there and say "HOLY S___" over and over and over. I have found several of these over the years, but this is my first 'type-1', and I don't think any of the others I've found were in this good of shape.

I didn't find anything else at all. Just that beauty. eheheh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070106.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	88898  

us
    "1989 Chevy Silverado 4x4"

Jun 2005
    South Carolina
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
    2 times

Re: I can't think of a title

Hey mlw,

That coin is a beauty !!!
    Congrats on the find !!

Mike in SC
    Heavy Chevy
    Formerly " Mike in SC "

us
    Random chance seems to have operated in our favor

Oct 2004
    Oklahoma
    43 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

That's great! What a beaut!! Congrats on that one, it was definitely worth the "HOLY S___" comment.

us
    Sep 2005
    Indiana
    Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
    391 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Thats the nicest standing lib i have ever sen come out of the ground

HH
    -GC

us
    May 2006
    Corrodedlargecentville
    Tesoro
    83 times

Wow!! Good thing you stopped at that vacant lot!

Oct 2005
    Charleston S.C.
    12 times

Great Find, Congrats. trk5capt...

X marks the spot Live for the thrill

Sep 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY
    4 times

HOLY S___ for sure. That is one awesome coin my friend. I bet you made your patiented face to
    I Thought I Was Wrong Once, But I Was Mistaken&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; The American Dream "Dusty Rhodes"

us
    DG

Mar 2006
    Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
    Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
    25 times

Very ,very,very,very nice. Still strong date.. Thats the first to go on the early ones.. Congrad's!!!
    Please look at my museum website.....&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; louisianahistorymuseum.org
    My playtoy site:&nbsp; genius-antiques.com

us
    Apr 2006
    DES PLAINES IL
    AVATAR: MY Wife Saying.... "Your going Metal Detecting
    257 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

nice find...Gotta Love This Hobby......................

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Happy Hunting from Des Plaines IL ( D P Bob )

us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    12 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Yeah, I am *very* glad I stopped (like wild horses could have kept me from getting at least a few swings in ROFL).

I am *still* making 'the face', and I may not be able to unstick my face from that position for awhile yet.

Here's how the moment went down:

I'm done with the site and ready to leave. I'm disappointed that all that dirt I had seen was fresh fill from a junky source. I've got about '5-swings' worth of ground left to cover before completely calling it quits when I get this penny signal. I'm thinking "cool--maybe if I'm lucky I can leave with a wheat". I stick my screwdriver down about 4 inches, just off to the side of the signal, and let er' rip. This coin comes flying up about a foot in the air and as it is in flight I realize it is not a penny, but instead a silver quarter. "HOLY S___!" I say. It lands on the ground and I realize it is a standing liberty quarter. "HOLY S___!" I shout. I pick it up, and realize it is in amazing condition. "HOLY S____!" I yell raspily. I look at the date and realize it is not only a pre-recessed date variety, but even a type-1. "HOLY S____" I scream crazily for all the neighborhood to hear. I'm surprised I didn't get arrested for being PG-13 in a G-rated area.

Oh jeez, I just remembered that I have another sod-removed site to go check out today. I saw it earlier when I was hitting the sales. After finding this quarter I had to come home and calm down a little bit. Sweet, maybe I'll get another one today. LOL

Well I'm gonna go hunt again. I'm glad you all like the coin!

ec
    Feb 2006
    Cotacachi, Ecuador
    XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
    4 times

Holy Shellac.... no..Holy Smokes.....naw......HOLY SMILES! What a great find. I have only found one in 6 years and would you believe it......I lost it before I got home. I went to several sites that day and can't for the life of me figure how I lost it. But lose it I did. Since it was not in Oregon, though, I won't try to beg you out of yours. Congratulations on a beautiful coin.
    Ron

us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    21 times

Very nice dude!!! That quarter is sure beauty!
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac Xp Deus Ctx 3030 Whites Dfx
    1415 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Really nice standing Lib.

It's nice to find them. But it's even better when they come out like that.

HH Jer

Feb 2006
    SW Oakland County, MI
    6 times

Unreal!! Congratulations.
    HH,
    Bob
    Bounty Hunter Land Star

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro