tiny eagle.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 521
  • tiny eagle1.JPG
    tiny eagle1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

That is a very peculiar eagle button you found and it is very tiny :icon_scratch: Never seen one quite like it.. I believe "RR & Co" is Richard Robinson. He operated in Attleboro, MA from 1814-1828. The style is typical of that time frame and with no letter designation, it would be a general service militia button.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly certain a civilian button similar to the Jacksonian era very small buttons. I have one of those, it is different but the same size, not military. Here is an old photo of the Jacksonian eaglebutton I found, and it is also 12.5mm in diameter.

Attachments

• eagle12.5mm.jpg
    eagle12.5mm.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 380
  • eagle12.5mm.jpg
    eagle12.5mm.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 388
U

umrgolf

Don in SJ said:
Fairly certain a civilian button similar to the Jacksonian era very small buttons. I have one of those, it is different but the same size, not military. Here is an old photo of the Jacksonian eaglebutton I found, and it is also 12.5mm in diameter.

Yes, I think you're right.. I see the patriotic eagle buttons bear the same eagles as the military buttons of the period

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice cuff button!!! Congrats and thank you for sharing that find, its very interesting with it being so tiny.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree with Don, a Jacksonian style civilian button.

Here is a picture of the various types of Jacksonian buttons. They are small and have a separate, wide rim. The eagle is in the top right of this picture. I may have got this picture from Don in SJ several years ago.

Attachments

• Jacksonian buttons.jpg
    Jacksonian buttons.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 736
OP
OP
DiggerDave in Pa.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Steve in PA said:
Yes, I agree with Don, a Jacksonian style civilian button.

Here is a picture of the various types of Jacksonian buttons. They are small and have a separate, wide rim. The eagle is in the top right of this picture. I may have got this picture from Don in SJ several years ago.
Thanks for the ID on this button. I learn something new everyday on this site! Thanks again! DD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread