My first Confed buttons

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
So after a couple years of walking and digging, I finally scored my first two Confederate buttons. Both within 20 minutes of each other. The first I thought it was another typical eagle cuff button. Didn't clean it in the field, just stuck it in my pocket and kept beeping. Then, in a bulldozed pile of dirt, I came across the Block "I". Rang out as a 55 on my T2, so I thought, surely another shotgun shell, right? Nope, a nice Block "I" with one problem... no back. But it's still a nice example.

Once at home I headed for the sink and running water. Cleaning the eagle cuff I saw a letter in that shield. Always a good thing. Not an "I", not an "R", not a "C", not a "D". This was definitely a "V". Not used to seeing that, I consulted my online sources and found it to be a unit formed prior to the war known as the Voltigeurs. More research led me to find that the Voltigeurs were disbanded before the war and Virginia militia units bought the "V" marked equipment. So now I have a fairly rare Confederate button. Shank good, three stars on the back and the front detail? Well, see for yourself.

Attachments

• 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 784
  • 100_0540b.jpg
    100_0540b.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 745
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just don't see them baby's coming out of the ground everyday :icon_thumright: Congrat's!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is the #1 on my want to dig list!!!!They were basically the first special forces of sorts.Dandy!!!!I have only seen two maybe three posted on here in the last five years

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
That button is the #1 on my want to dig list!!!!They were basically the first special forces of sorts.Dandy!!!!I have only seen two maybe three posted on here in the last five years

First 'V' I've seen on here, so must be fairly rare :o :icon_thumright:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
kuger said:

First 'V' I've seen on here, so must be fairly rare :o :icon_thumright:

Yes,they also pre date the C.W.,very popular in the Mexican American war.It is said that possibly surplus was used by Virginia Troops during the C.W. but no real proof as far as I know?

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First V button I have seen posted on here as well ! A great button find ! Congrads ! MaineRelic

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE buttons, I am envious :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
When I find the "V" belt buckle maybe it'll rate the banner. I hear those are even more rare. Gonnaa go back to that hole and look again. All my buddies had found Confed buttons already. Now I'm in the club too. Pressure is off!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on great relics! Those are awesome pieces of history.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on two fine buttons! The block I was most likely a tin back local. It is fairly common for the backs to be missing. They also find a lot of Voltigiers buttons in Louisiana.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomanal!!

Top Member Reactions