1835 Capped Bust Half Dime & Matron Head Large Cent

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
1835 Capped Bust Half Dime & Matron Head Large Cent

Hit a woods today about 20 minutes east of my store here on the North Shore of Long Island. I'd been in this woods twice before - once in October and found a Draped Bust Large Cent, and the other time in early January, when there was still some snow on the ground, and wound up finding an 1880s Indian Head penny in one of the thawed areas. After about a half hour got a spot on full bar quarter reading at four inches on my MXT and knew it was a Large Cent. It's a holed Matron Head that might be 1818 or 1815. Then a little while later I got a bouncing penny/dime reading that settled on, I think, full bar penny. Got the target out of the hole, and was having trouble finding the target. No wonder I was having trouble, I finally came up with a small disc, that I qucikly realized was silver, and it turned out to be an 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime. Yep, like a jerk in my excitement, I rubbed it and scratched it; though in real life the coin looks a lot better than the picture provided, since the black spots are not as noticeable. This is my third Capped Bust silver, the others are an 1829 Half Dime, which also read as a penny on the MXT, and an 1814 Dime with a hole in it. Also found a couple of 19th century flat buttons and an old bullet.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 598
  • finds2.jpg
    finds2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 591
  • finds3.jpg
    finds3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 597
  • finds4.jpg
    finds4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 583
  • finds5.jpg
    finds5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 586
  • finds6.jpg
    finds6.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime & Matron Head Large Cent

I like the capped bust. :icon_thumleft:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG,sweet digs :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome hunt! what a thrill diggin up the old silver!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds!

Don't worry about that scratch on the half dime.....it's intrinsic value to you is worth much more than it's numismatic value on the coin market :thumbsup:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

Awesome finds! My only CBD rang in just about as a zincoln. You never know what will pop out.

Your LC must be 1818 because no cents were minted in 1815.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

testing123 said:
Awesome finds! My only CBD rang in just about as a zincoln. You never know what will pop out.

Your LC must be 1818 because no cents were minted in 1815.

Thanks, Testing, I didn't know that there were no Large Cents in 1815.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That capped bust is awesome ! It was dug from the ground forget about the scratches ! A beautiful coin ! Another great find and post ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

MaineRelic said:
That capped bust is awesome ! It was dug from the ground forget about the scratches ! A beautiful coin ! Another great find and post ! MaineRelic

Hey Maine, talk about great finds, you're Massachusetts cent and its condition is really awesome!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find :icon_thumleft: that 1816 MH could have been minted in 1815 but has the 1816 date on it which yours looks like for sure , here is a history on that subject.Nice bust half dime also Jim
http://www.wikicoins.com/Matron_Head_Large_Cent

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow! That is ironic! When we spoke earlier today (before you went detecting) we spoke about finding those early silver half dimes. Three hours later you got one! What are the odds?

I think it still looks awesome, despite any scratches. My only half dime (other than the beauty in my avatar and up on the banner) was an 1853 which was slightly bent. I placed it between two wooden planks and then I used c-clamps to flatten it out.

nice going on the oldies!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Neil in West Jersey said:
Wow! That is ironic! When we spoke earlier today (before you went detecting) we spoke about finding those early silver half dimes. Three hours later you got one! What are the odds?

I think it still looks awesome, despite any scratches. My only half dime (other than the beauty in my avatar and up on the banner) was an 1853 which was slightly bent. I placed it between two wooden planks and then I used c-clamps to flatten it out.

nice going on the oldies!

I know, that is pretty weird. The first thing I thought of when I realized what it was, was our conversation. Also, it was quite a rush, since the VDI was reading penny, and (as is often the case) a Capped Bust half dime was the furthest thing from my mind. Finally, this one is also a little bent.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

One thing that surprised me is the VDI of the coin. You said it rang on penny/dime. Both of my half dimes hit hard on 53, which is around where a zincoln or an Indian Head would hit.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go, Fisher! :icon_pirat: Sounds like a great place to be hunting! Maybe one day my MXT will run over a LC....that one is still on my list.

Nana

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

killer cap... MR TUFF

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Neil in West Jersey said:
One thing that surprised me is the VDI of the coin. You said it rang on penny/dime. Both of my half dimes hit hard on 53, which is around where a zincoln or an Indian Head would hit.

Hey Neil,

As I mentioned in our phone conversation, I tend to not look at or comprehend the VDI numbers (though I know I should), I simply rely on the screwtop (which in the woods can mean all kinds of buttons and relics) penny, penny/dime, quarter, half readings. The only VDI numbers I know by heart are the shotgun shell reading in the 18-35 range. Now I can't remember the exact sequence of readings I was getting for the half dime, something like bouncing penny/dime, but come to think of it, I do think it was reading (at one point) zinc penny or maybe it was stuck on zinc penny when I dug the plug. I didn't pay too much attention to the zinc penny reading, since I knew the 4 or 5 inch depth reading I was getting in this old area was too deep for a post 1982 penny. I really should pay more attention to the actual VDI numbers.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other

Great finds !!

Gotta love early American silver. The copper ain't too shabby either !! Great day for sure.

Congrats,

Brian in MA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread