North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare

Today I headed back to the early 1800’s stone chimney property that I’ve been detecting at. I was only there about 5 minutes and got a somewhat iffy signal. After digging through some roots and pulling out a square nail and a Mason jar lid, there was still a signal. I reached my hand into the hole and worked the find around some roots. To my amazement I popped this relic out and saw the “US” on it! I thought it was a buckle of sorts but had no idea how old? I headed to the truck to get my video camera and shot this video. Still shocked, I e-mailed a few Tnet members from my Blackberry to see if they knew what it was. After waiting for a reply for about an hour, Ty finally responded back that it was an Anson Mill’s belt plate from the American Indian War era (Circa 1881-1894). Later I learned these buckles were used during the Spanish American War also. The buckle is brass and dated “Feb. 1, 1881” on the back. About two weeks ago I dug my first bullet from that era too (.45/70) at the same property. At first I was a bit disappointed that this wasn’t a CW era buckle, but then realized that I had never seen one of these “H” buckles posted on Tnet before. Have you??? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: My other finds were: *1919 Wheat penny *”Gilt” domed top button w/shank *Cosmetic compact *Rusty hook No snakes today, but I did pull FIVE ticks off of my clothing. :o Thanks for looking. MM

Attachments

• DSCN4205.JPG
    DSCN4205.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 4,847
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 4,574
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 4,565
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 4,597
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,611
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 4,605
  • DSCN4207.JPG
    DSCN4207.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 4,705
  • DSCN4206.JPG
    DSCN4206.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 4,717
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 4,529
  • MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 4,565
Last edited:
Upvote 11
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool buckle that I've never heard about. Good find with some history!

That's the great thing about Tnet. You can learn so much here, and it's FUN learning. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a cut out from what the book says- View attachment 954984 View attachment 954985
Rob, I can't thank you enough for your help. You really made my day with the info you provided. Thanks for replying and bringing my post back up from the dead. I was all excited and telling my family about how rare the buckle was last night. I think they just humor me by listening. :laughing7: Good luck to you on your beach hunts, and enjoy the view. :thumbsup: -Doug-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 2.10.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 2.10.32 PM.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 86

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really glad this post got brought up again. Being so new to detecting I missed this and it's such an incredible piece. Great job with the display as well. It's really shows how much respect you have for these great and important pieces of history. Beautiful piece my friend

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really glad this post got brought up again. Being so new to detecting I missed this and it's such an incredible piece. Great job with the display as well. It's really shows how much respect you have for these great and important pieces of history. Beautiful piece my friend

Thanks so much Abe. I feel that if we are lucky enough to recover these pieces of history they should be displayed properly. I just don't see the point of tossing relics into a drawer and not being able to enjoy them and the memories they gave us. I think I got my great-grandfather's genes. He was a big collector and self-taught taxidermist. He had displays of stuffed animals, bird eggs, coins, old guns, stamps, etc. and even built his own small museum in town.
He was a neat guy and really enjoyed life. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why was this never made banner? This is an unbelievable find!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok. I didn't see it under your banner finds.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok. I didn't see it under your banner finds.

It was the "Anson Mill's Belt Plate" banner. Now that you mentioned it Matt, I need to get out there and find another banner find. It's been WAY too long. :tongue3:
Thanks for l@@king,
Doug

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: That was a fabulous find back then and it's even more so now with the info that diggum shared! :notworthy:
BTW...could I send you these tins of relics and you sort and display them for me?
:tongue3:
​Nana

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: That was a fabulous find back then and it's even more so now with the info that diggum shared! :notworthy: BTW...could I send you these tins of relics and you sort and display them for me? :tongue3: ​Nana

LMAO!!! You betcha Nana. You probably have enough recils to do a whole wall with. :thumbsup:
You know what's coming up soon don't you? SNAKE season! I know you love that. :tongue3:
-DUHg-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread