Civil War Fire Pit Produces Tiny Silver and Other Great Relics!!! Lots of Pics!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone,

Today the temperature was a perfect 75 degrees, so my buddy Craig and I went to a very well hunted site. In the past few trips to this site, we had only come away with one or two things each. I remembered that the last time we were there, I noticed some burned stone and brick coming out of the ground, so I thought this trip would be better spent digging at this spot. I had originally thought it might have been a hut because the site was used for many years throughout the Civil War and the map shows huts around this spot. We dug a few test holes and finally hit what we were looking for... ashes and red-orange dirt. I scanned the dirt with my MXT Pro and got a strong signal that turned out to be a dropped .69 cal. Minnie!

Here's Craig digging in the pit!

DSCN1193.JPG

After a half hour or so of digging, we started to get a pretty big hole. We were able to follow the ashes which lead to more finds.

DSCN1200.JPG

DSCN1199.JPG

It wasn't long after those pics were taken that I got a very strong signal in the side of the hole that turned out to be the best Eagle "I" button that I have ever dug!

DSCN1195.JPG

DSCN1201.JPG

Another hour passed and we pulled out a couple more Minnies, a toasted Eagle cuff button, and some melted pieces of lead. The finds became very few and far between, so we decided to go over the rest of the site while we still had the energy. Craig found part of a cast iron stove, and spent a good amount of time digging it up. I wasn't having any luck, so I decided to go back and continue digging the pit. After a while of digging, Craig came back just as I got an iffy signal that I thought was another bullet. I located the clump of dirt that contained the item and it was far too light to be a bullet. Craig said "it must be something tiny." I turned the clump over and saw this...

DSCN1203.JPG

DSCN1202.JPG

DSCN1204.JPG

I said "it's tiny and shiny!" What I had found turned out to be an 1854 Half Dime in great condition! :hello2: I had to stop and take another break to let my heart rate go back down! This is the 5th Half Dime I've dug. Anyway, by this time the hole was getting pretty wide and we were hitting lots of rocks, so we decided to start filling in the pit. As we were filling it in, I found a neat broken portion of an inkwell. Here's a pic of Craig digging in the pit before we started filling it back in.

DSCN1207.JPG

All in all, I would say that we had a great hunt. I'm glad that my hunch paid off, because we have come away with nothing at all in previous hunts. That just goes to show that even the most well hunted sites can produce good relics if you just think outside the box and work a little harder. We will be going back later next week to dig another suspected pit.

Here's today's total finds!

DSCN1208.JPG

and here's my finds all cleaned up...

DSCN1223.JPG

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "Goddard" backmark is NOT a common backmark for an eagle button. Well done! I think that eagle is the star find, but I like the box finial and half dime a lot too. :)

Cheers,

Buckles

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the way to get those CW relics ! Nice Job ! A Day to remember ! :thumbsup: MaineRelic

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
Great finds! heck with that hole you mise well plant a tree! HaHa! :icon_thumright:

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
never dug a pit before, but if I could find eagle I's like that one I'd find a way to dig them! beautiful button and coin!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post! Love that eagle I and 1/2 dime. They are in great shape being so deep. You guys did well and hope your other spot turns out to be as good :icon_sunny:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH MY GOSH ... how your persistance paid off!!!! That is one AWESOME display of persistance.Keep going at that pace, you guys are onto something GREAT. Good luck.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like it all PF!! You guys worked hard for those relics. I like the 1854 HD and that Eagle "I" is pristine. WTG, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions