Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mill Hunt Lucky #7 Copper Jackpot

Hi TN , Weekend hunt and great weather at the old mill . This is the seventh hunt at the mill site . A mile hike and the action started with two KG III s 1775 ,1780 , 1652 coin of unknown origin but the date and some letters on the obverse remain. Third 1600's coin found here. Colonials , 1787 NJ copper , 1788 NJ copper , three nice Indian Head cents 1900, 1902 , 1907 , 1911 wheatie , one more # 2 silver spoon with hall mark WH Silversmith is William Hollingshead , Philadelphia , 1754 -1785 , a 4 X 3 inch .. Colonial chain link buckle , a 1700's clog clasp and blow hole button , china and pottery shards , lots of flat buttons , 1700's cuff links and assorted usual iron ax heads and lots of brass shot gun tops and bad news ..ticks . "Chance " stopped by to help dig. He brought his Frontline and some Deep Woods Off for me . For the past weekend and quite a few hours spent , these coins and relics are the Best start of my spring season , ever . :headbang: :icon_sunny: :laughing7: I hope you have the Best Spring hunts as well . Thanks for stopping in , 8) CMD Dawg

Attachments

• nj23.JPG
    nj23.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,383
  • nj45.JPG
    nj45.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • nj33.JPG
    nj33.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 1,362
  • nj42.JPG
    nj42.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 1,359
  • nj35.JPG
    nj35.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,372
  • nj3.JPG
    nj3.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,359
  • nj27.JPG
    nj27.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,381
  • nj25.JPG
    nj25.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,378
  • nj38.JPG
    nj38.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,386
  • 1652 - Copy.JPG
    1652 - Copy.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,322
  • 1652 coin - Copy.jpg
    1652 coin - Copy.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • nj14.JPG
    nj14.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,317
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: Mill Hunt Lucky #7 Copper Jackpot

CRUSADER said:
umrgolf said:
CRUSADER said:
With some good research, that spoon will turn out to be a 'special' one :thumbsup:

btw, Crusader what is the relic underneath the spoon on the right? looks like a mourning item :icon_scratch:

Just recently had a similar discussion.

Although the design was used as a Mourning piece, it was also a very popular design brought back from the Grand Tours (ie. From the Roman & Greek Classical Urns). Put on furniture, horses, buttons, cufflinks etc...

Being an 18th C Clog Clasp, its not likely a mourning item.

wow very cool.. man dawg it looks like you've outdone yourself :dontknow: :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
You sure had a great hunt! Cannot help on the 1652 coin, other than perhaps one of the many German States coppers? :dontknow: The one British Halfpenny, sure looks like a 1787 date making it either a Conn copper or a Machins Mills copper, need to see the letters or at least one or two of them to say which way.

The NJ coppers, the 1787 is a Maris 64-t variety and the 1788 is a Maris 65-u variety. I will get this verified shortly, always hard to say for sure on ground founds where not 100% sure of some details but fairly certain I am correct. The 64-t variety is a Very common variety, the 65-u, I have to check since the one book has it as a URS10 which does not match coinfacts Rare rating, will check on that shortly and update. UPDATE: two recent catalogs have it as a Rarity 4, Very Scarce, not Rare, and of course as more are reported the rarity rating can suffer. :wink:

Good finds all around, a nice mixture of finds for sure.

Don

1780s coin can't be a CT. (First pic) Either British counterfeit or M mills.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
You sure had a great hunt! Cannot help on the 1652 coin, other than perhaps one of the many German States coppers? :dontknow: The one British Halfpenny, sure looks like a 1787 date making it either a Conn copper or a Machins Mills copper, need to see the letters or at least one or two of them to say which way.

The NJ coppers, the 1787 is a Maris 64-t variety and the 1788 is a Maris 65-u variety. I will get this verified shortly, always hard to say for sure on ground founds where not 100% sure of some details but fairly certain I am correct. The 64-t variety is a Very common variety, the 65-u, I have to check since the one book has it as a URS10 which does not match coinfacts Rare rating, will check on that shortly and update. UPDATE: two recent catalogs have it as a Rarity 4, Very Scarce, not Rare, and of course as more are reported the rarity rating can suffer. :wink:

Don

Well, I sure cant say for sure that the pic with the GEORGVIS is the 1775 one he said he found or the 1780s one. :tongue3: Besides I spent time on the NJ coppers, not the British one.

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
That is one heck of a hunt for both coins and relics.

Get some good shots of that copper... it's definitely not just another George III.
I have to run but I shall , Machin Mills :icon_scratch: Great :thumbsup: Thank You
umrgolf said:
CRUSADER said:
umrgolf said:
CRUSADER said:
With some good research, that spoon will turn out to be a 'special' one :thumbsup:

btw, Crusader what is the relic underneath the spoon on the right? looks like a mourning item :icon_scratch:

Just recently had a similar discussion.

Although the design was used as a Mourning piece, it was also a very popular design brought back from the Grand Tours (ie. From the Roman & Greek Classical Urns). Put on furniture, horses, buttons, cufflinks etc...

Being an 18th C Clog Clasp, its not likely a mourning item.

wow very cool.. man dawg it looks like you've outdone yourself :dontknow: :laughing9:
Thanks J :laughing7: I had my diggin' dog days weekend but now it's back to the salt mines , I am jammed up with work but I will get back to the thread asap . Thanks to all and Don , is the sample pic copper , the one I dug. Hope to copy cat your Jerseys , these coins are popping up all over :laughing7: dawg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Well, I sure cant say for sure that the pic with the GEORGVIS is the 1775 one he said he found or the 1780s one. :tongue3: Besides I spent time on the NJ coppers, not the British one.

That's exactly what I thought... you were typing and thinking of the NJ. :laughing7: They're both George III obverse, and what looks like a pretty clear 8 for a third digit. I checked what Coinfacts had for pictures and there is no match. So right now it's looking pretty good because both a 1780s Brit. ctft or rare M. Mills would be a pretty good find. 1780s brit. beats common MM, but rare MM is paydirt. :headbang:

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe

Fantastic finds! Congrats on the great digs! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMAZING!!!! You don't see many days posted like that. Grats on such an awesome site! :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CrazySlasher said:
AMAZING!!!! You don't see many days posted like that. Grats on such an awesome site! :notworthy: :notworthy:
Thank You :icon_thumleft:
Iron Patch said:

Get some good shots of that copper... it's definitely not just another George III.
Thanks
Saabman said:
WOW!!! Simply awesome!!!! I agree, a banner day for sure!
Thank You Saabman
CMDiamonddawg said:
CRUSADER said:
I feel the silversmith is William Hollingshead
Philadelphia, PA 1754-1785 , Thanks Cru

Attachments

• nj55.JPG
    nj55.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 747

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
CrazySlasher said:
Thank You :icon_thumleft:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks
Saabman said:
WOW!!! Simply awesome!!!! I agree, a banner day for sure!
Thank You Saabman
CMDiamonddawg said:
CRUSADER said:
I feel the silversmith is William Hollingshead
Philadelphia, PA 1754-1785 , Thanks Cru

I think you are failing to see the potential of that copper. It could easily be the best find, and quite possibly better than everything combined plus some.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

Sorry I am late to the party but that is one AWESOME DAY of digging CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

I always enjoy reading your posts and this one is really super fantastic!! :icon_thumleft:

Is there any way you could post another pic of that 1652 coin? I was trying to figure it out and another pic might show something more. Also of the 1780s KGIII? I would love to see it again- it might be a rare one ;D

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a spot... It reminds me of the tavern I dug Dawg, ... Keepum comin. Arty

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I like the chain buckle, the rest is great too. banner

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Wow CMDawg what a haul ! :icon_thumright: Those coppers are in great shape. Congrats on some super finds !!! :headbang:

TommNJ

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bubba65 said:
Sorry I am late to the party but that is one AWESOME DAY of digging CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65
Never to late to party with the dawg :occasion14:
Bramblefind said:
I always enjoy reading your posts and this one is really super fantastic!! :icon_thumleft:

Is there any way you could post another pic of that 1652 coin? I was trying to figure it out and another pic might show something more. Also of the 1780s KGIII? I would love to see it again- it might be a rare one ;D
I appreciate the interest . I seldom find rare coins . Thanks Bramble :icon_thumleft:
artyfacts said:
What a spot... It reminds me of the tavern I dug Dawg, ... Keepum comin. Arty
May have been a watering hole for the early settlers .next door to the mill . Glad to get the support from my fellow Jersey hunters . Best to ya Arty 8) dawg
Indianhead Jones said:
Great hunt...beautiful finds!! :thumbsup:

Love the coppers....I'm envious!!

Larry G. :)
Thanks Indianhead Jones , ..just a hobby , doin' what some like to do ...hope you get your share of hitting digs at unsearched places :icon_thumleft: CMD
wwwtimmcp said:
I like the chain buckle, the rest is great too. banner
Beautiful chain link shoe buckle , nicer looking than the pictures show and I do THANK YOU timmcp ...it's been many threads since a few banner votes :headbang:

TommNJ said:
Wow CMDawg what a haul ! :icon_thumright: Those coppers are in great shape. Congrats on some super finds !!! :headbang:

TommNJ
Always good hearing from you TommNJ .... I agree , kick a$$ site & some of the best condition coins here :o Thanks and have a great spring

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds Dawg, 1600's? Man that is insane! Awesome stuff once again! :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SouthJerseyJim said:
Great finds Dawg, 1600's? Man that is insane! Awesome stuff once again! :headbang: :headbang:
Thanks SJ Jim .. Jersey coppers are a "kool colonial" 8) 8) 8) hope you get some and :thumbsup: Thanks too ALL :occasion14: HH , Dawg :thumbsup:

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spring is always the greatest time to detect getting rid of the winter blues no bugs to bother you never too hot, and knowing you have a full digging season ahead of you, good luck next time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread