Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone :hello:
Back to mid 30s here in New Hampshire and a fresh blanket of snow.
I spent 3 hours swinging at a snails pace pulling small deep targets from a site I've been hunting for a year now.
As darkness fell, the only keepers were an 1830 1 piece Eagle A with 'United**States**' backmark, toasted, and a piece of silver thimble.
Chilled to the bone, I was walking back to my truck swinging the detector as I went.
by chance I got 2 more targets, what appears to be a small brass telescope, and a thoroughly encrusted coin.
I've dug several like this, all from the same loose gravel and shell layer under the mud, after removing the crust I usually have a thin blank planchet. (see photo #8 )
On the drive home, I notice the object is not round and I flake a piece of the edge off.
I see what looks like the tab of a watch fob or medallion, darn!! it's not even a coin.
I arrive home and begin cleaning finds in the sink.
Rinsed everything but the 'watch fob', I consider taking a 'before' photo, then just rub it between my fingers under running water till the crust is mostly gone.
I look at it under the light and see THE CROSS :o
I so wish I had split the crust off carefully, there's a good chance I would have gotten 2 mirror images off of it.
I was able to recover one fragment with partial image from the sink.
The inside that was in contact with the silver is oily black & probably high silver content.
Still some detail hidden on this piece, (esp, the 'non cross' side, obverse/reverse, I don't know) but I'm not sure how to proceed with cleaning.
It weighs 10.7 grams, and rings like a bell when it touches the table.
judging by weight I think it's a worn 4 Reale.
I got my new 'Best Find' !! :hello2:
Anyone know an approximate date on this :icon_scratch:
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting to All :thumbsup:

Attachments

• nc finds 03-22 011.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 011.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,796
  • nc finds 03-22 008.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 008.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,728
  • nc finds 03-22.jpg
    nc finds 03-22.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,717
  • nc finds 03-22 007.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 007.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • nc finds 03-22 006.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 006.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,768
  • nc finds 03-22 004.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 004.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • nc finds 03-22 010.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 010.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,775
  • nc finds 03-22 009.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 009.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,764
  • nc finds 03-22 003.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 003.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,715
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Anniversary Present

Whoa ... a Spanish cob :o :headbang: :hello2: Good one Herbie

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Anniversary Present

WTG on the COb Brotha!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Well that might be good enough for #3! :headbang:

I'm just having my first morning coffee, so maybe not quite with it... but that weight I think is a very in between weight as far as reales go. It looks pretty good but I don't understand the weight. (But i might soon - :coffee2: ;D)

2 minutes later and a couple more gulps of coffee and >>>> My best guess is it's a clipped 4 reale, and the shape does tend to indicate there is missing metal. Bigger cobs like that aren't posted much so I would call that your number 3, but don't expect it will stop anytime soon. Quite a year you're having.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Nice find!!! congrats on the cob! that is next on my list!

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:

I'm just having my first morning coffee, so maybe not quite with it... but that weight I think is a very in between weight as far as reales go. It looks pretty good but I don't understand the weight. (But i might soon - :coffee2: ;D)

2 minutes later and a couple more gulps of coffee and >>>> My best guess is it's a clipped 4 reale, and the shape does tend to indicate there is missing metal. Bigger cobs like that aren't posted much so I would call that your number 3, but don't expect it will stop anytime soon. Quite a year you're having.
Thanks IP,
I Just keep Swingin, that's how to make the finds :icon_sunny:

Strange happenings with my scale :icon_scratch:
I put the coin back on, 10.7.
While i'm focusing my camera, I see it slowly count down to 10.3, I use this scale frequently, it has fresh batteries and I never saw it act like that.
Maybe it's as unacustomed as me to have hammered silver :laughing7:

Attachments

• nc finds 03-22 012.jpg
    nc finds 03-22 012.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,606

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:

Strange happenings with my scale :icon_scratch:
I put the coin back on, 10.7.
While i'm focusing my camera, I see it slowly count down to 10.3, I use this scale frequently, it has fresh batteries and I never saw it act like that.
Maybe it's as unacustomed as me to have hammered silver :laughing7:

Still way under.

* 8 Reales (cob) = 27.3 grams [0.96 ounces] (also known as Pieces of Eight)
* 4 Reales (cob) = 13.65 grams [0.48 ounces]
* 2 Reales (cob) = 6.825 grams [0.24 ounces]
* 1 Real (cob) = 3.4125 grams [0.12 ounces]
* 1/2 Real (cob) = 1.70625 grams [0.06 ounces]
* 1/4 Real (cob) = 0.853125 grams [0.03 ounces]

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks For the Info & Links !!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Notice the weight on lot #540 9.8 :D
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)
Pete, :hello:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)

Seen one other which is his avatar, and now that I said it, you'll remember or notice when you see a post. I'm not good remembering user names but he is a regular on here.

U

umrgolf

Timekiller said:
Killer Herbie,
You strike again. :wink: Loving the cob man and yes it's a little lite for a four but not uncommon.And think that's what it is. :thumbsup: Looks like phillip IV.
Take Care,
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction8/shipwreck1.htm

Yes, I think you're right on with the id Pete... It's looks just like the cross on my Philip IV.. NH gives up a mid-1600's silver :o :o :o :o You are on freakin fire man :notworthy:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:

Seen one other which is his avatar, and now that I said it, you'll remember or notice when you see a post. I'm not good remembering user names but he is a regular on here.
Also lot # 585 Herbie looks like your to the tee as far as I can tell even the same weight. :wink:
Yes Ip,
Not something I see much at all on here & I'll look for the avatar.Can't place it right off :icon_scratch: But the only others are ones like that site salvaged from ship wrecks that I see.
Take Care,
Pete, :coffee2: :hello:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm gonna pop you a Banner Vote for that one Herbie. :headbang: Even though I've missed it myself a couple times with cobs :laughing9: Maybe the banner train will find it's way to you. :laughing7:
Take Care,
Pete, :wink: :D :hello:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:

Also lot # 585 Herbie looks like your to the tee as far as I can tell even the same weight. :wink:
Yes Ip,
Not something I see much at all on here & I'll look for the avatar.Can't place it right off :icon_scratch: But the only others are ones like that site salvaged from ship wrecks that I see.
Take Care,

He's from NJ I believe, and it looks kinda green in the picture..... you will know him and it when you see! I'd find it, but have to get a few things done. He'll probably see this post anyway.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:

Yes Ip,
Take Care,

He's from NJ I believe, and it looks kinda green in the picture..... you will know him and it when you see! I'd find it, but have to get a few things done. He'll probably see this post anyway.
I think I know who your speaking of N.J.Ther he's in herbies other post next one down in todays finds about the silver chinese coin.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hello,
Congrats on the cob. I've found two cobs. One on dry land which came out nice and silver and the other on a salt water beach which was black. I did not clean either anymore then just running them underwater. I love the way they both came out of the ground and when I speak to people about them they always ask why they are so different. I think it is the lighting that makes the avatar look greenish but I'm also color deficient so I could be wrong...lol.

NJ

Attachments

• Both Cobs.jpg
    Both Cobs.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,432

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer said:
Hello,
Congrats on the cob. I've found two cobs. One on dry land which came out nice and silver and the other on a salt water beach which was black. I did not clean either anymore then just running them underwater. I love the way they both came out of the ground and when I speak to people about them they always ask why they are so different. I think it is the lighting that makes the avatar look greenish but I'm also color deficient so I could be wrong...lol.

NJ

Unless they are 4 reales you are not the guy. :laughing7: Too many people from NJ finding cobs!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:
Hello,

NJ

Unless they are 4 reales you are no the guy. :laughing7: Too many people from NJ finding cobs!

Can I add them together? :wink: No they are not 4 reales...I have to leave something to find later in life.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Oh where or where has my spanish cob been lost at? Never found any cob, guess I need to look deeper. Nice work. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread