1902 Indian Head Penny

DigginDeep757

Mar 25, 2011
Hello All,

I've been detecting now a couple of months with Charlene and AARR. We've visited a few sites and I've found my fair share of clad, but after some research, one awesome CW book, two pairs of magnifying glasses we chose our target spot. While Charlene hit the open field, AARR and I headed into the woods nearby....great choice of direction too. About 25 yds just inside the woodline I had my first hit of iron, hummm beside a rail road I didn't dig LOL. But just 5 ft further I hit a high tone on the Bounty Hunter, solid at 6 in deep. Out of the hole popped this 1902 indian head. I was so excited I almost went down like a buck toothed groupie at an Aerosmith concert :blob8:
Thanks for looking guys...I'm hooked!

Attachments

• Joes penny obverse.jpg
    Joes penny obverse.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 443
  • Joe\'s Penny revese.jpg
    Joe\'s Penny revese.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
:icon_thumright: I told you those Native American instincts of ours work great with metal detecting. You found one of our ancestors ALREADY! I gotta give it to you, you've been pulling up the clad since day one, it was only a matter of time before you found some of the really good stuff :hello2:
Congrats and welcome to Tnet!! :walk:

aarr

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
That is a nice find and in the condition it's in :blob8: And thanks for digging that chunk of metal out. HH :headbang:

OP
OP
D

DigginDeep757

Mar 25, 2011
Well we will determine what that chunk of metal is before we drag it out of there. I do find it strange that something that large rings off as it does. I don't think its iron myself....

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
DigginDeep757 said:
Well we will determine what that chunk of metal is before we drag it out of there. I do find it strange that something that large rings off as it does. I don't think its iron myself....
Knuckle coupler from a train car...betcha lol

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
DigginDeep757 said:
Thanks Charlene who knew that being unemployed could have it's up sides :laughing7:

Haha. That's how I got started!! Congrats on your first IH. Hope you get many more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread