It took a year to found out what I had

A

agbonanza

Yes, you read it correctly...a year. A year or so ago, I found what I thought was a coin covered with crud while metal detecting. I found it while hunting around what I am pretty sure is a foundation to a small house. It was about the size of a U.S. dime, but I could not see what it was. I took it home and cleaned it with a mild detergent and soft bristled brush, but no luck at all in figuring out what it was. I soaked it in olive oil since then. Every few weeks or so I would flip it over in the oil. Well, this weekend I decided to try and clean it again. Some of the crud came off and I could tell it was a coin of some sort...I decided to take the plunge and I built an electrolysis. After it "cooked" for a while, I took it out and cleaned it somemore with baking soda and a soft bristled brush. Much to my surprise it is a 1941 German 5 pfennig coin....complete with swastika. Here are a couple of pix that I took with my digital camera.

Attachments

• naz2.jpg
    naz2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 486
  • naz1.jpg
    naz1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
The Library is a great source of info.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! It's made of Zinc, they don't hold up well in the soil, your lucky to be able to ID it. HH, Mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would have tried salt and vinigar method...ask ray king

HH
-Gc

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I gave up after two months on a coin. I better read up on coin cleaning. Nice job on that coin. Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread