thought i had a large cent--but got something better

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
went detecting in an area that i thought wasnt very old, but thought i could find a silver or two. first hit wasnt very deep, maybe 4-5 inches figured it was probably clad and dug it out. looked to be the size of a large cent, but seemed a little light and a little thin, but was so caked with dirt i really couldn't tell what it was. maybe it was a large cent just worn thin? i figued what the heck its trashed anyway so i started wetting it and wiping it on my jeans, until i could finally face on it. now i'm thinking cool this is going to be something good because the face didnt look right for a large cent, continued cleaning some of the mud of and see a log cabin on the back. now i was stumped as to what it was until i got home and searched for it on the web.....sure enough its on there... Here is a little from wikipedia..William Henry Harrison (February 9, 1773 – April 4, 1841) was the ninth President of the United States (1841), an American military officer and politician, and the first president to die in office. The oldest president elected until Ronald Reagan in 1980, and last President to be born before the United States Declaration of Independence, Harrison died on his 32nd day in office[1] of complications from pneumonia, serving the shortest tenure in United States presidential history. His death sparked a brief constitutional crisis, but that crisis ultimately resolved many questions about presidential succession left unanswered by the Constitution until passage of the 25th Amendment.

Attachments

• william harrison token front.jpg
    william harrison token front.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,170
  • william harrison token back.jpg
    william harrison token back.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • william harrison mint token front.jpg
    william harrison mint token front.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • william harrison token mint back.jpg
    william harrison token mint back.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,236
Upvote 0

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG, great find,first one I,ve seen here. :hello2:

OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
steelheadwill said:
Tippecanoe & Tyler Too, Great historical find! :hello2:
I dug a 'peoples choice' token last year, I'll try to track it down :hello:
Found it ! mine was a general George McClellan, same slogan :icon_scratch:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,354912.0.html
.......................................................................very cool, i read on one website that these were worn on a ribbon around the neck and were the equivalant of compaign buttons used in elections today...........this one is from 1840 so i'll be going back

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool token, I'd go back too.
Good luck out there.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup - "Tippecanoe & Tyler Too"! AWESOME token buddy!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! I think I remember seeing one posted a few years back but I may be mistaken.
Congrats!

OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
thanks guys hope to find something worthy of posting this weekend----found some interesting sites using some old maps

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Ya buddy! that is a way cool find. I would have been very very happy to find that. Good luck on your next dig! :headbang:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! I found the very same token last year.But not in that great of condition. Yours is the only other one I have seen.

Attachments

• DSC_0073 [50%] [50%].JPG
    DSC_0073 [50%] [50%].JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC_0073 [50%] [50%].JPG
    DSC_0073 [50%] [50%].JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 515

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome ! And it is real history . This is the type of finds that I like .

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool medal! congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
baspinall said:
Cool find! I found the very same token last year.But not in that great of condition. Yours is the only other one I have seen.
man i thought mine was in rough shape :laughing9:....just kidding i thought it was pretty cool, i know it's not a george washington button, but he was the 9th president so i'm closing in on it and it's much older than what i thought i would find. the area homes arent that old?
SkyPirate said:
is it worth anything?
in good condition i've seen it on the web for $400 , but in toasted condition about $40, but i'll keep it just because i think it's cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread