Recent Hunts with the GPX 5000

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
A week ago found John and myself on a Civil War Hunt near Orange Va. It was on some property where Jackson and his troops camped for 5 days. The area was also used by Union Soldiers. John got his first Plate ! It made his whole weekend for sure. It was the first time out with the GPX 5000. Man I had a blast. Didn’t get my coil over a whole lot but that’s how the hunting goes. We did manage to find a few decent things. We have some video of the hunt :
Yesterday I took the 5000 to try it out in the Coin/Relic program with the Iron Reject at 10 in a Colonial Field. The 5000 performed Great and I got my first Largie of the season. It was 10 inches deep and sounded loud and clear. I figured it was an aluminum can by how loud it was. I also got a Musketball, one of the smallest buttons ever and a nice Point and a broken one. I only dug one deep square nail with it and manage to skip over all the iron except that nail. I’m so glad Spring is finally here !!!! Happy Huntin,
BB

Attachments

• eagleplate.JPG
    eagleplate.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 733
  • April32011 004.JPG
    April32011 004.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 740
  • April32011 003.JPG
    April32011 003.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 699
  • April32011 001.JPG
    April32011 001.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 749
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics there Bob. Who dug the block I? Nice large cent as well. I think the two bullets in the upper left corner may be modern black powder bullets.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello:

hey what's going on my buddy?
Excellent video Bob. I gotta call you this week to chat. Thanks for helping out with the GPX settings last week, I really appreciate it. Let's get em out hunting soon

Mike

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds for sure!

OP
OP
FortBedfordbob

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Steve in PA said:
Nice relics there Bob. Who dug the block I? Nice large cent as well. I think the two bullets in the upper left corner may be modern black powder bullets.

Hi Steve, I dug the Block I and was told it was most likely a reinactor's button, plain brass back, but the patina looked good. It's on the video. The 2 bullets upper left were ID'd as Lyman .58 modern. But we had a blast !!

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I SO want one of your machines!!! Can I... touch yours? :D

OP
OP
FortBedfordbob

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Woodland Detectors said:
:hello:

hey what's going on my buddy?
Excellent video Bob. I gotta call you this week to chat. Thanks for helping out with the GPX settings last week, I really appreciate it. Let's get em out hunting soon

Mike

Give me a call at your convince. Like to talk with you about the GPX. I think old timers like me pick that thing up fast because we started hunting with tone only machines. Ordered the 10X5 DD should be here by the weekend. Can you say Braddock's 5th Camp ;D We'll see it's been hit before and how much I don't know. Oh, when I ran the thing in Coin/Relic in the field up here is was barely stable, right on the edge. I never thought the mineralization here was bad but on the F-75 it'll read 61-63 where as Culpeper is 75 or so. But standard VLFs don't have much trouble penetrating the ground here. So when the book says "lightly mineralized soils" the aren't kidding.

HH

FBB

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey - I might have to twist your arm and get in on the action on that site this weekend! ;D :tongue3:

FortBedfordbob said:
Can you say Braddock's 5th Camp ;D We'll see it's been hit before and how much I don't know.
FBB

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thats a beautiful Block I, you did well.

I didnt hear much about that hunt, however based on your finds it looks like it was a success.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread