Laundry day.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Today I had the dreaded task of doing the laundry. I always take the detector along so I don't have to sit and watch clothes spinning around. There is an early park nearby and figured I would work it a bit. The first target out was a no date buffalo nickel. That thing is green like copper. I haven't seen one come out like that before. The second target was a 1924S merc dime which is silver #9 for the year. I finished off the hunt with two new cents and two wheat cents. They were dated 1928 and 1957. The junk jewelry piece says imagine and looks to be broken. The junk I found consisted of can slaw, tabs and a fishing rod handle. I'm glad the laundry is done but I still have to fold it and put it away. Thanks for looking! DD

Attachments

• april 7 dirty.JPG
    april 7 dirty.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 504
  • april 7 clean.JPG
    april 7 clean.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds!! I went to the launder-mat yesterday myself. Got $20 worth of quarters out of the change machine, checked them and recovered 9 40% silver quarters. So far this year, that brings my total of 40% quarters from the laundry-mat up to 157.

Loving it.

Eagle

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
EagleDown said:
Good finds!! I went to the launder-mat yesterday myself. Got $20 worth of quarters out of the change machine, checked them and recovered 9 40% silver quarters. So far this year, that brings my total of 40% quarters from the laundry-mat up to 157.

Loving it.

Eagle
I think you meant to say 90% silver quarters, As far as I know they never minted any 40% silver quarters only 40% silver halves. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Demon_Wolf said:
EagleDown said:

Loving it.

Eagle
I think you meant to say 90% silver quarters, As far as I know they never minted any 40% silver quarters only 40% silver halves. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

Actually, I meant to say 40% silver. (1965, 66, 67, 68, and 69.) Even though they were "clad", they are 40% silver by weight. This also pertains to Dimes and half dollars. :read2: :icon_thumleft:
Eagle

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
EagleDown I don't know where you got your information but they never made 40% quarters and dimes they only made 40% halves. Tell you what give me a month and I will sell you 2000 of those 40% quarters for $1.25 a peace if you want :headbang:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you Macaydon? I thought you would have chimed in by now. ;D

Actually the mint produced a 40% silver 1976 Bi-Centennial quarter proof NIC (not intended for circulation) in the proof set.

No 40% dimes though.

Half dollars were 40% silver from 1965-to 1970D (1970-D being a NIC) Also in 1976

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Wikipedia, here is the list of 40% silver quarters:

Washington Bicentennial 1975–1976 (all were dated 1776-1976) (40% Silver-clad Proof, not intended for circulation)
Washington statehood 1999–2008 (Proof Only)
Washington District of Columbia and U.S. territories 2009 (Proof Only)

1965-1970 quarters contain no silver that I'm aware of.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: :laughing9: Holey Toledo!! I do here-by stand corrected. I have to admit I should have left the dimes out of the equation as I was only guessing there. And, I KNEW the 50 cent pieces were 40% silver, BUT, I had been told by a friend a couple of years ago that quarters were also 40%ers.

I really should have checked it out for myself rather than take somebodys word for it. :-[

My sincerest apologies for the controversy. :headbang:

Eagle

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
EagleDown said:

Loving it.

Eagle

Say WHAAAAAT!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread