After 15 Years of Hunting, I Finally Joined The Club...

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...the Civil War Plate Club!!!

Let me back up a bit. My hunting buddy and I wanted to get out for a hunt today, but neither of us could think of a good place to go. We pondered on it for a bit and still couldn't think of a place close by, so we hopped in the car and decided to head to a local park that has produced a lot of silver and a few Minie Balls in the past. Once we got there, we noticed that a once wooded area has been completely cleared of trees and brush so we decided to start there. After finding nothing but pull tabs and shotgun shells for an hour, I finally got a decent signal and dug a nice Williams Cleaner bullet! A bit later I got into an area that had a lot of square nails, so I hit it hard for good targets and I got a really deep brass signal and out popped a nice Eagle I coat button! Another hour went by with only digging cans and other park junk, so I went back to the spot where the button came from and got another deep, iffy signal that turned out to be a small iron buckle. I walked about 5 feet from there and got a signal that nearly blew my eardrums out!! I thought it was another can because it was big, shallow, and read a 74 VDI on my MXT Pro. I almost passed it up, but I figured, what the heck... I dug down, flipped out the dirt, and what do I see??? This...

nikon 028.jpg

I knew immediately that I had just found my first plate!!! I pluck it out of the dirt, wipe it off a bit and saw the beautiful letters "US" staring back at me! I had just found a near perfect US Cartridge Box Plate :headbang:

nikon 029.jpg

I have found pieces of plates in the past, but never a whole one. I was so excited and still in disbelief over finding it. Anyway, it was starting to get dark by this time, so we hunted for another half hour or so and then headed back to the car. My hunting buddy did pretty well too. He ended up finding a partial Spencer cartridge, a toasted 1840s Large Cent, a brass rivet and a really strange lead item.

Here's my finds for the day!

DSCN1272-1.jpg

DSCN1273.JPG

DSCN1272.JPG

And here's my buddy's finds...

nikon 030.jpg

nikon 031.jpg

Thanks for looking and HH!!! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav: Fantastic recovery. They do not come out looking much better than that one. You inspire us. Congratulations on that plate. Wow!!!
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMountains said:
:wav: Fantastic recovery. They do not come out looking much better than that one. You inspire us. Congratulations on that plate. Wow!!!
HH
TnMtns

Thanks TnMtns! That just goes to show what might be lurking just beneath your feet at a "hunted out" site. Knowing my luck, though, this will probably be the only good thing I find for the next year :laughing7:

Thanks again for all the replies everyone!

HH!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed!!

Top Member Reactions