After 15 Years of Hunting, I Finally Joined The Club...

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...the Civil War Plate Club!!!

Let me back up a bit. My hunting buddy and I wanted to get out for a hunt today, but neither of us could think of a good place to go. We pondered on it for a bit and still couldn't think of a place close by, so we hopped in the car and decided to head to a local park that has produced a lot of silver and a few Minie Balls in the past. Once we got there, we noticed that a once wooded area has been completely cleared of trees and brush so we decided to start there. After finding nothing but pull tabs and shotgun shells for an hour, I finally got a decent signal and dug a nice Williams Cleaner bullet! A bit later I got into an area that had a lot of square nails, so I hit it hard for good targets and I got a really deep brass signal and out popped a nice Eagle I coat button! Another hour went by with only digging cans and other park junk, so I went back to the spot where the button came from and got another deep, iffy signal that turned out to be a small iron buckle. I walked about 5 feet from there and got a signal that nearly blew my eardrums out!! I thought it was another can because it was big, shallow, and read a 74 VDI on my MXT Pro. I almost passed it up, but I figured, what the heck... I dug down, flipped out the dirt, and what do I see??? This...

nikon 028.jpg

I knew immediately that I had just found my first plate!!! I pluck it out of the dirt, wipe it off a bit and saw the beautiful letters "US" staring back at me! I had just found a near perfect US Cartridge Box Plate :headbang:

nikon 029.jpg

I have found pieces of plates in the past, but never a whole one. I was so excited and still in disbelief over finding it. Anyway, it was starting to get dark by this time, so we hunted for another half hour or so and then headed back to the car. My hunting buddy did pretty well too. He ended up finding a partial Spencer cartridge, a toasted 1840s Large Cent, a brass rivet and a really strange lead item.

Here's my finds for the day!

DSCN1272-1.jpg

DSCN1273.JPG

DSCN1272.JPG

And here's my buddy's finds...

nikon 030.jpg

nikon 031.jpg

Thanks for looking and HH!!! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Let me be the first to reply....

Dang Man!!!!!!! That is a sweet box plate. I dug a part of one a year or so ago, but have always dreamed of a whole one. Yours is beautiful. Congratulations!

You both had a great day!! :headbang:

Baldingboy

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: Way to go!!! Sweet plate!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Great hunt!! congrats on the plate too! it is in nice shape. wow.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very nice plate PF!!! A plate with US on it has always eluded me for some reason and I'm on my 16 year of hunting sites with lots of US soldiers stationed there. That shows you how well they read with the early detectors. HH, Quindy.

swish

Feb 28, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites m6 and mxt pro
congrats on a great plate. still looking for mine

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great story and nice photo's. Really brings the story to life. Man I would have had a heart attack if I would have dug that plate. My day shall come.. :notworthy: Congrats. :thumbsup:

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEEEEEEEEET! I bet you just sat there and stared for a while. That is a beautiful plate. I know the belt plate I found is a beater compared to yours but any plate is special. Congrats. I think you have found the one item that all hunters think of when anyone says Civil War relic hunt.

Don
HH

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice US cartridge box plate! Although I have found a CS tongue, a CS wreath, a Virginia militia sheet brass crossbelt plate, and a VMM....... I have never been able to find a US belt or boxplate or an eagle breastplate!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save! Love to get a plate one of these days. I dug a couple over seas but none here in the US. Got to get to the right sites!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Very nice!

I so badly want to find a decent CW relic. All I have are three little buttons, 1 three ringer, and a dropped confederate ball.......... :'(

Good job!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on a beauty!!

Keep hitting that spot, should be more relics under the modern trash. Nice find!
-Evan

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone! :icon_thumright: We went back to the same spot and found absolutely NOTHING :'( Oh well, I guess we can't win every day, lol.

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread