Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Soiled Dove" Heel Plate

Hi Everyone,

This piece was dug yesterday at an 1860's homestead. It is roughly 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches. After doing some reading on heel plates, I found this information in a November '09 post by vayank54.

Here is my heel plate. The info follows:

heart.jpg

I've seen a lot of interest on the history of the brass heel plates with the heart design. I dug one recently that measured 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" A fellow sent me several emails about them. the first I must have deleted but He said that a friend of his collected them and an elderly lady who had been in the "business" saw them and wanted to buy them he wouldn't sell them but she told him about them. I've copied the other two emails
Email 1
The size of the heel will give you an idea when the plate was made as fashion changes, so does heel size. But these heels are designed with a slight taper on the edge of the heart so dirt won't collect as easy, leaving little "Hearts of Sand" (That was the name of a paper I did on early Prostitution in America). Most people from the area knew where the bawdy houses were, but for the new to town, it was still rude to walk up to a woman and proposition her, plus you could get arrested for the act, so, if an attractive Woman crosses the street, you would look for her "Calling Card" in the dirt
By the looks of this one, it was never used, which got me to thinking that a Blacksmith may be close by as they were commissioned for the task of making the plates.

Email 2
You will see the heart on several Military pieces which are not Unit significant, such as the
Saddle Strap that goes around the front of a Cavalry Horse. Where the straps come together in the center there is a fist sized brass heart. However, with these "Shoe Hearts".....(Do you see where "Hearts of Sand" would work so much better?) the size dictates a Woman's foot, not a Soldier. As for soldiers wearing cleats on their shoes, "Yes, absolutely", they kept the heals from washing over, but in this incidence, the Hearts are not for anti wear purposes as much as for advertisement. What soldier is going to place a pair of these on his heels? All of the men walking behind him would be following the little hearts enroute to the Battle Field then be overwhelmed by a sudden need to compose prose..... It would ruin the whole flow of the war.

I should mention that not all the brass heel plates are civil war some are later. The one I dug dates from the late 1860's to early 1870s's

That's the end of the post. My heel plate is nearly identical to the one in the original post. I hope you enjoyed the "story" behind some of the heel plates.

Happy Hunting,

~Indiana Digger~

Upvote 7

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Re: "Soiled Dove" Heel Plate

Hey nice find, I recently bought one of those in a box of old door hardware, had no idea that it was a heel piece. Mine says 1 1/2 on the back of it.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"V",is a very knowledgable guy and I respect him,but I think his source had a bit of an imagination.The whole scenario just doesnt fit

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post ! My guess if you were a good tracker you would follow the trail of the lightest heart shaped track unless you wanted to bag a really big one :icon_sunny:
Nice find and fun history !
HH
TnMtns

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe

Neat find, congrats! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Indiana Digger

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:
Great post ! My guess if you were a good tracker you would follow the trail of the lightest heart shaped track unless you wanted to bag a really big one :icon_sunny:
HH
TnMtns

That's some funny stuff, right there!

~ID~

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dug one of those heel plates!!! Fun to know they are from the CW era, even if we are not sure they were soldier or hooker-worn! CW era heel plate.jpg

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
HH
TnMtns

LOL! You had to go there, didn't you....

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I found one a few years ago on the edge of a Union campsite near Fredericksburg. Another hunter offered me a double handful of minnies and musket balls if I would trade it to him. I kept it because I heard that story too... Whose to say such women did not visit the camps. In the Florida Campaign against the Seminoles, 1854-58, Minorcan women were brought into the reachable forts, to work in the company laundress. The officers actually got a cut of the money received to have the soldier's uniforms cleaned. Of course, the women served other duties too. Notably, officers from rank or Lieut. and above were allowed to bring their wife and children into the reachable forts also. One officer, in his diary and letters, wanted to his wife-to-be to sail to Florida and move into the fort. I was humored, because, once the company laundress was established at the fort, he wrote her back stating it is best for her not to come due to the crude living conditions. Not to get side-tracked too much... But, I actually found the footprints of one of these laundress areas, located along a creek. I dug 40 plus uniform buttons from the site along with many melted brass buttons which were dropped into the fires. I never found one of these, or similar stamped brass heel plates at a Seminole War fort. However, I did find the brass, curved heel plate that goes on in two pieces--one on each side of the heel.
SD

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,we have dug one of those but I never knew the story behind them.Nice!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and thanks so much for the information!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the nicest heel plate I've seen in a long time. Great save!!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and storey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread